LG OLED48C14LB only outputting Dolby Digital and not Dolby Digital Plus - help?

jkk45

Hi all,

Proud to say that I'm the owner of a new LG OLED48C14LB.

However, I've got quite a big problem that I'd like help with: I can't get the TV to passthrough Dolby Digital Plus [DD+] to my AV Receiver (Pioneer VSX-531). AVR is connected via ARC on HDMI port #2 on the TV. AVR also definitely supports DD+ as I used it for almost four years with my old TV to successfully receive a DD+ signal. My new TV only seems to want to passthrough regular, non-plus Dolby Digital [DD] for some reason

I've tried:
1) Different streaming apps built into the TV. I've tried a number of different movies on both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, and they all still only output mere DD, when I know that virtually all content on both these platforms has a DD+ audio track (correct?)
2) Linked to above, I've even tried streaming the exact same movies on the exact same streaming services on my Nvidia Shield (non-Pro) plugged in via my AVR. This produced a DD+ signal absolutely fine, which my AVR picked up.
3) I've tried fiddling about with the sound settings on the TV, and have configured to be the following way:
-DTV Audio Setting: has been set to 'AUTO'. (Its also strange that it gives an option to force DD+, when it doesn't seem to want to output this in the first place - I have tried forcing it to DD+ and it makes no difference)
Select HDMI Input Audio Format: has been set to 'BITSTREAM'
Digital Sound Output: has been set to 'PASS THROUGH'
eArc has been set to 'OFF', since my receiver only supports regular ARC. (I have also tried it with switched to 'ON' and this made no difference)
4) I've even tried plugging my Nvidia Shield directly into one of the non-ARC HDMI ports on the TV, and my TV still only outputted regular DD to my AVR. So this would lead me to believe its very likely an issue with the TV, rather than my AVR

I've been on chat with LG today about this problem. I ran through what I'd already tried, and they seemed to think it might be a hardware/manufacturing fault. How likely is this? Is there anything more I can try? really don't want to go through the faff of exchanging a TV when its bulky and inconvenient to take back to Argos.

next010

Distinguished Member
Digital sound output should be on auto not pass through.

Try turning off TV then disconnect from wall power, give it a moment then power back on, sometimes this can clear HDMI oddities.

jkk45

Digital sound output should be on auto not pass through.

Try turning off TV then disconnect from wall power, give it a moment then power back on, sometimes this can clear HDMI oddities.

Thanks.

I've tried doing a power cycle as requested 2 times, still didn't make any difference.

Tried setting digital sound output to auto (rather than passthrough). Still didn't make any difference.

Any other ideas? Someone on the LGOLED Subreddit suggested, that despite all I've said, it might actually be a problem with my AVR, rather than with my TV

UPDATE:

I've been having a look through the TV's owners manual , and noticed that it seems to treat Dolby Digital Plus and Atmos as a combined output mode [see below]. I presume that this means that in order to be able to have the TV be able to output the former I also need to have the latter enabled (can you advise on this?). However the issue is is that my AVR only supports up to to DTS-HD-MA and True HD (i.e: not Atmos), so I'm not able to enable the Atmos option on my TV, and therefore can't get DD+. That's my hypothesis, can you please confirm?

Untitled.png

Last edited:
However the issue is is that my AVR only supports up to to DTS-HD-MA and True HD (i.e: not Atmos), so I'm not able to enable the Atmos option on my TV, and therefore can't get DD+. That's my hypothesis, can you please confirm?
According to your Pioneer VSX-531 AVR's specification it supports Dolby Digital Plus decoding: -

Pioneer VSX-531.PNG

But, as you've already discovered, your AVR does not offer Atmos (three-dimensional 'over-head' spatial audio) decoding. Regardless of whether the Atmos meta-data is embedded within an 'lossless' Dolby TrueHD audio stream or an 'lossy' Dolby Digital Plus audio stream.

jkk45

According to your Pioneer VSX-531 AVR's specification it supports Dolby Digital Plus decoding: -

View attachment 1652755

But, as you've already discovered, your AVR does not offer Atmos (three-dimensional 'over-head' spatial audio) decoding. Whether it be embedded within an 'lossless' Dolby TrueHD audio stream or an 'lossy' Dolby Digital Plus audio stream.
Yes that's correct. I'm not all that bothered about Atmos (for now), as long as can get DD+ from Netflix/Prime content.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom