LG OLED48A16LA USB Recording problems?

oldfart

Just Purchased the LG OLED48A16LA and having problems using an external USB hard drive to record. The drive I have is an Kesu 750Gb usb 3.0 device, I formatted the drive exe fat, plugged into the USB port, the tv recognises the drive but when I try to record I keep getting the message " please use an external usb drive to record " and it recognises the capacity. The drive was formatted for OSX initially and I was just wondering wether this could be the problem. Can anyone lead me to a solution please, perhaps purchasing a new drive pre formatted for windows may help!. Thanks.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Check your TV's user manual or physically look at the USB ports and check if one has “HDD” printed next to it as these can supply just under 1A (900mA) whereas a standard USB port can only supply 500mA.
Again some TV's require a HDD to have it's own power supply

oldfart

Thanks for the reply, below is a snapshot of the manual.

Screenshot 2021-11-23 at 07.18.52.png

Will have to check the hard drive for it's voltage and current specs. Have tried using a powered hub but again get the message " Cannot use a powered hub with this device ", so it seems I am damned if i do and damned if I do not?. Looked on the LG website but it all seems a bit vague to be honest.

oldfart

Thank you for your input JayCee, Have managed to get the recording function working but, it has limited functionality ie, cannot record and watch another channel!, unless I am missing something. It seems to me the only useful function will be the chase play function.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Yes, that's one of the most common problem using your TV as a PVR.
Watch one, record another requires two tuners.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom