Question LG oled v Sony Led

Flash80

Established Member
Reaction score
What to buy?
I am struggling to decide which tv to go for.
I am looking at 3 sets, LG B7/c7 or the Sony XE93 or the Sony XE90.
I will be using for normal tv viewing (sky) and with my Xbox one x. It will be used in our main lounge which has normal light levels, it doesn’t have sunlight in the room. I want the set which will give the best picture quality with the Xbox which means good HDR performance.

Originally I had fallen for the oled but then recently the Sony sets have come to my attention. I currently have an old 42inch Panasonic virera, which only does 720p/1080i.
The reports about screen burn/image retention and brightness levels have made me wary about the oled add that to the price difference betweeen the c7 and the XE90 makes me lean to the Sony. I plan on keeping this tv for about 7 years so I want to get the right tv.

I am going to visit a few shops over the next few weeks and I plan on visiting richer sounds in Glasgow at the beginning of December. I hope to get something before Xmas.

Any advice or suggestions for me ?????

What kind of gaming will you be using the tv for? Lengthy sessions each day of the week? Lots of one type of game with a HUD in the corner?

You already own a tv susceptible to burn in, have you had to be careful with that? OLEDs are actually better than plasma tv's as they wipe any image retention themselves so my bet is unless you are changing how you use the tv for gaming you'll be fine. There are many horror reports online about many faults are drawbacks but they are blown out of proportion.

Also have you seen the B7 OLED? People have been getting them for £1350.

What kind of gaming will you be using the tv for? Lengthy sessions each day of the week? Lots of one type of game with a HUD in the corner?

You already own a tv susceptible to burn in, have you had to be careful with that? OLEDs are actually better than plasma tv's as they wipe any image retention themselves so my bet is unless you are changing how you use the tv for gaming you'll be fine. There are many horror reports online about many faults are drawbacks but they are blown out of proportion.

Also have you seen the B7 OLED? People have been getting them for £1350.

Ive always been very conscious of screen burn but never had a problem. I don't game everyday and usually only for about 2-4 hours max, unfortunately. I have seen the B7 in Currys and it looks pretty sweet

Ive always been very conscious of screen burn but never had a problem. I don't game everyday and usually only for about 2-4 hours max, unfortunately. I have seen the B7 in Currys and it looks pretty sweet

With that kind of usage I wouldn't worry about burn in. The LG OLED is the best of the 3 with both SDR and HDR.

There are many horror reports online about many faults are drawbacks but they are blown out of proportion.

I bought the LG B7 online at John Lewis for £1350 ( JL priced matched it to Argos ) on Saturday. The TV has not been even delivered yet but I'm beginning to have second thoughts for exactly the same reasons the OP mentioned - reports of image retention and screen burn.

Apart from Netflix and Amazon streaming, I will be using the TV daily for Sky HD channels viewing - many of them will have static logos on the screen - Sky Atlantic, Sports channels, News channels - how worried should I be about the IR on the screen?
I know that the B7 has a refresh/screen clean up cycle when on standby that should eliminate the retained images but is this really a serious issue when watching normal TV channels? They all have some logos - BBC, ITV etc.
Should I cancel my order and buy a LED instead??
HELP!!

I bought the LG B7 online at John Lewis for £1350 ( JL priced matched it to Argos ) on Saturday. The TV has not been even delivered yet but I'm beginning to have second thoughts for exactly the same reasons the OP mentioned - reports of image retention and screen burn.

Apart from Netflix and Amazon streaming, I will be using the TV daily for Sky HD channels viewing - many of them will have static logos on the screen - Sky Atlantic, Sports channels, News channels - how worried should I be about the IR on the screen?
I know that the B7 has a refresh/screen clean up cycle when on standby that should eliminate the retained images but is this really a serious issue when watching normal TV channels? They all have some logos - BBC, ITV etc.
Should I cancel my order and buy a LED instead??
HELP!!

It should be fine if you dont leave the TV 24/7 but personally i dont want to be paranoid about the TV, i mean i probably make myself switch the channel or turn off the game console after few hour every-time because i cant stop thinking about it. For that reasons alone is enough to make me stay away from Oled

It should be fine if you dont leave the TV 24/7 but personally i dont want to be paranoid about the TV, i mean i probably make myself switch the channel or turn off the game console after few hour every-time because i cant stop thinking about it. For that reasons alone is enough to make me stay away from Oled

That's what I'm worried about too. Say, I'm watching a film on Sky Atlantic for 90min with the channel logo in the top left corner and then watch a News Channel for 30min with a banner ( or two ) across the bottom of the picture followed by a 90min football match with the logos/banners too. Will this be a problem?
If someone phones me during the match and I pause Live TV for 30 min on that channel - will this cause a problem?

Its not so much the length of time that the logo stays on the screen but the regularity of it. Switch your TV on for weeks on the same channel every time with the same logo and you'll get image retention.

If you game with one hud for 3 hours and then watch a movie with a static logo for 3 hours then it likely won't be a problem.

If you do that as a repetitive pattern,same logos, same huds etc for weeks you get a problem.

Its no worse than Plasma TVs, better in fact since they wipe any temporary image retention in standby.

Not having Sky etc .. Just wondered why on earth they actually have to put a channel logo on viewing channels ... Is it meant foir goldfish that have short memories that they have no idea what they are watching? Just seems crazy .

Its certainly annoying, some channels seem to have moved to logos that move a bit from time to time which is nice.

I guess they put them there so people can't easily distribute their programmes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom