Question LG OLED TV vs Sony TV

Blackbird888

Standard Member
After a lot of research online and viewing in stores, I finally have my OLED E6 in my home now. However I am not so sure it is the best TV as every experts recommended.

The main problem is the colour may not as natural as a SONY TV that I have watched at my parents' home. I don't have a same size TV to compare side by side. However, I remembered the colour on the SONY TV was natural and very comfortable to my eyes. It is a 8 years TV!

This LG OLED TV seems to stress my eyes. I don't know what is wrong with it however, it is just my feeling that my eyes are not very comfortable with the overall display. I am not sure it is a psychological issue or a real difference between a LG TV and a SONY TV. After all, a TV must be comfortable to my yes regardless how great OLED tech is.

Of course, there are lots of good things about this TV, most people in this forum already know that. I won't repeat them here. I love the magic remote and webOS in particular.

A couple of things I am sure LG is not good at are:

- The out of box settings. After unboxing and switching on my E6, my first impression is it is too bright. Probably that is fine for store demo. However for real home use, 100% OLED light is nothing practical to me. Later I found that OLED light value 35 is much better and comfortable to my eyes.

- Not very useful Picture modes. Most of them just too bright, too saturated. I wonder how useful these things are. They just make things more complex.

It is not a problem for me to find lots of online videos and articles to adjust those settings as I am very good at computer stuff. However, it probably is too much, too complicated for a lot of people. As a consumer, I really just want to have a good picture. I don't need changes 20 settings to get a good screen on my iPhone. That is the thing.

I do follow a few video about how to calibrate these LG OLED TVs. I tried eye comfortable mode too. The pictures and colour seems better after that. However I am still not so sure the overall picture look as natural as the SONY TV.

I have been using iPad watching things most time before buying this TV. I am not sure if that is a factor. My view distance to this 55 inch TV is around 2.4 - 2.7 meter, maybe this is too close to such size.

I viewed these OLED TVs in stores and were attracted by it, the normal LED TV looks like a grey layer is covering the screen. Every review I read online says this is the king of TV. After having it at home, watching with it a few days, I am not so sure. Am I expecting too much? Is a SONY TV is more natural in overall colour?

I found these colour tests are interesting:

Sony eSupport - Sony Color and Detail vs other HDTVs

My PC monitor does show them correctly and seems to give better result for that red colour tests. The Sport Picture mode (or one of those modes) on TV failed the test.

There is a video about this on web too:

I really don't know if a SONY TV will make me more comfortable. I trust them a lot. This is my first LG TV. It could be just a psychologic issue. What do you think?

noidea

You are right that oled light 100 will hurt your eyes. Most TVs out of box settings are painful, designed to stand out in a store alongside other brands.
Look up recommended settings on here and you'll find things much better. Turning Oled light down is a good start, I'd also suggest turning most of the things in expert controls and picture options to off (like edge enhancer, trumotion etc)

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Your comparing a 8 year old sony lcd tv or plasma with an oled
Without even properly setting up the settings of course it will look harsh over bright or or ........

Setting up is everything .

safrazramjan

Standard Member
I also moved to an lg oled e6 from a Panasonic vt50. At first I felt the lg was absolutely terrible. Luckily I did have someone that calibrates tv's and he did say, out of the box the oled will look challenging. He said use it for approx 100hrs and then you will see an incredible difference. I do trust his advice, so I did as he said, and eventually everything was brilliant. It was much better than my calibrated Panasonic vt50, although on fast moving images characters had a slight blur around them. This was then later fixed by calibration. You do have an excellent set. Give it some time as i did. Also it is deff worth getting it calibrated after the 100 hours. After mine was in use by 100 hours I was in 2 minds of having it calibrated as picture was stunning. However I did have calibration done as I would want the set to be at its perfect settings depending on my room. I'm not sure where you are based, but I'm sure there are calibrators local to you.

Jmog

OP, which mode are you running it in? You can't judge picture quality by standard (or "shudder" vivid). Set it to ISF Dark Room and turn down OLED light to 60 or lower. That should look much more comfortable to your eyes. And better.

tigertimtim

You are right that oled light 100 will hurt your eyes. Most TVs out of box settings are painful, designed to stand out in a store alongside other brands.
Look up recommended settings on here and you'll find things much better. Turning Oled light down is a good start, I'd also suggest turning most of the things in expert controls and picture options to off (like edge enhancer, trumotion etc)

Agree i even turned my Oled light down to 40....also has mentioned use isf dark setting....also i toned color down from 50 to 44....also turn the various enhancements off.

Blackbird888

Standard Member
Thanks guys. I had played with those settings, followed a few articles, videos about calibrating such as TV rate, avforum, hdtv. At the moment I set OLED light 35, turn off most of the rest as suggested in various calibration videos for E6/B6. It does look better. However, I am still not sure a SONY TV will give more natural colour. It could be just my imagination. I hope it is as I really like the magic remote and webOS. I'll try 44 for the color tonight.

I find another interesting thing when I tried the colour blind image on my two PC monitor. One is 2 years old, the other is around 6 years old. The newer monitor does show nicer colour, as good as I am seeing on my iphone6s screen. I tried to adjust the settings on older monitor, play with different modes, even adjust RGB values, however it cannot achieve good colour as the newer monitor.

Here is a photo I took with my phone. As you can see the white is very white while the red is nice and comfortable to look.
IMG_1305.JPG

GadgetObsessed

Just because you have seen colours that you like on one Sony TV doesn't mean that you will like the colour on Sony TVs generally. Each TV model - and even instances of the same model - will be different.

If colour is the issue then it would be good to get the set professionally calibrated.

You cannot get accurate colours adjusting by eye and using test patterns such as the one in your image. (Although you can set some of the basics like brightness and contrast that way.)

You can buy a colour meter and software (about £200 upwards) and try it yourself but it is a steep learning curve. If you don't understand graphs like the following (and what controls such as 10 point white balance do) then it is best to leave it to the experts and get someone in to do the calibration.

Note that monitors don't usually have the controls required to get accurate colours. All they usually have are simple RGB controls which adjust the colour balance across the whole brightness range.

image.php

Jmog

Here is a photo I took with my phone. As you can see the white is very white while the red is nice and comfortable to look.View attachment 794806

Actually from you photo, the left one is too cold in the colour temp and the right one is too warm. The "white" looks more correct on the left.

The red part we can't judge as we don't know how red it's supposed to be but the white part of the right screen looks too reddish.

Blackbird888

Standard Member
If colour is the issue then it would be good to get the set professionally calibrated.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I know. I have expected a better out of box picture. Probably my eyes are more used to it now, it looks more or less fine for me.

The red part we can't judge as we don't know how red it's supposed
All those test files are available here in case you want to try yourself.

Here is that particular picture.
Sony eSupport - Sony Color and Detail vs other HDTVs
https://esupport.sony.com/graphics/info/color_blind.jpg
color_blind.jpg

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
I can't see any display not being able to show them well with 2 minutes of adjusting settings.

Blackbird888

Standard Member

Blackbird888

Standard Member
I can't see any display not being able to show them well with 2 minutes of adjusting settings.
Sure, it is easy to show the colour text. However, it is difficult for me to adjust it to show those red color as good as that I see on my good monitor and phone display. My phone can show the *correct* color to me (at least it is correct to me)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom