LG OLED TV 'screen burn' warranty battle with John Lewis - I'm the victor

Well I guess there’s room for the diagnosis to change once it gets back to their workshop for assessment, and he wasn’t willing to commit that statement to paper, but the engineer that came out today was a decent chap.

You got the verbal report of it so stick with that(not burn in), clearly panel failure due to that overheating chipset on the tv mainboard causing that green damage like the others on here.

They can be referred back to this thread and past examples, frankly the users know more then the engineers do since TVs change every 5 minutes so engineers can't be expected to know per model fault issues.

Hopefully goes well give us an update, sounds like that engineer will do it the right way its a simple assessment really since its not burn in.

I think my situation is similar to yours.

E7, paid for screen replacement (which JL covered cost of).

But no screen replacements available.

Latest is this: JL have asked for an engineers report. But LG haven't provided one.

I've asked LG if they can provide more details on the fault, is there anything I should explicitly ask for?

An update - I got a response back from LG but I've been mid house move/renovation so completely missed their email back. In it they clearly state:

"This will not have been due to misuse or damage but is a drawback of OLED technology".

I've sent that to John Lewis and will wait to hear back...

So a quick update; the engineer came and collected the TV on the 7th (which was quite handy as we moved house this week so it was out the way). I hadn’t heard any update so called JL on Friday. They said it had been authorised for repair and a replacement part had been ordered but she didn’t have specific info if the part was available when I pushed a little. The ‘completion of the repair was due for the 30th’. I asked what would happen if it rolled beyond that - apparently if they can’t repair within 28 days then we can discuss other options….

Am not in a massive hurry for TV back so happy with process so far.

Last edited:
A quick update - LG are now saying no repairs now until May, June or possibly later. They suggest I pay an independent dealer to fix and they will re-imburse partial cost. Ive asked for escalation to management. In the meantime LG looked at the yellow screen over my phone, the engineer confirmed it was a know issue thus the £250 fix offer. I contacted JL who are digging their heels in saying screen burn and I will just have to wait. I have written email to Pippa ( exec Officer ) once again but I am not hopeful. Has anyone managed to get a written confirmation that the yellow screen is not my liability ? Any engineer confirm its components on the main board overheating ?There was a member in Scotland who was taking JL to the small claims court. Cant find on this thread. Any clues anyone ? Im seriously considering buying a replacement from Richer sounds and going to court but obviously its hassle I don't want ( and that know that )

I also read on an earlier thread that LG replace the screens with " refurbished screens " not new ones, can anyone confirm/deny this ? TIA

Last edited:
Update on my experience. I received a call from the repair company end of last week to say the TV had been repaired (!), they dropped it off at our new house this morning. Apparently its had a complete new screen assembly (so all that's used from the original TV is the control module / power etc on the back). Looks good to me.

Was surprised they were able to source a panel based on others experiences on here, but happy with the outcome as saved me having to shell out extra on a new screen if they had offered to settle at a percentage cash value.

Not sure if I just got lucky but the whole process was painless. I'm in Bedfordshire, the repair company they used were SIMS Electrical, really decent chap.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if there is any form of warranty on the repaired screen - the original warranty from John Lewis has now expired (see my original post).

Hi All
I have the same problem with my screen and have contacted Richer Sound as the tv had the 6 year cover. Richer Sound try to tell me its screen burn but i told them about other people on this site having the same trouble with the screen and its not screen burn, they said it was not covered by the warranty because its screen burn. They said i could contact Lg and get the screen changed for £200. i told Richer Sound i didn't except there explanation about screen burn in the end they said they would pay for the repair. After contacting LG about getting screen replace LG told me they can no longer replace the screen as they don't have any replacements screen for my TV.

So can anyone advise me where i stand with Richer Sound as to getting the TV replace, there 6 year guarantee state that if it cant be repaired we will replace with similar specification model.

I got a feeling that they will try to get out of changing it because they said the fault was due to screen burn which is not covered.

My TV is the LG OLED55E6V which is a 3D tv and they are not made anymore also it cost me £2499 when i bought it in 2017.
Any advice welcome

Got the same issue with my LG Oled B7 bought in 2018. Still within the 6 warranty, but contact richer sounds over the phone and they told me it's screen burn and they can't do anything. I got a few icons burned in, but my main issue the the green hue going across the whole screen, less so on the edges.

Can I ask what happened with you in the end? Is there anything I can do to get them to cover it or contact LG?

Got the same issue with my LG Oled B7 bought in 2018. Still within the 6 warranty, but contact richer sounds over the phone and they told me it's screen burn and they can't do anything. I got a few icons burned in, but my main issue the the green hue going across the whole screen, less so on the edges.

Can I ask what happened with you in the end? Is there anything I can do to get them to cover it or contact LG?
In the end lg could not fix the screen as they do not make them screens anymore. So told Richar sounds and the gave me a credit note which I used to purchase a new tv from richer sounds with 6year cover.

How did you argue in regards to the warranty and get richer sounds to accept it? I spoke to a fella on the phone and I tried to explain even in their warranty it doesn't mention about disccolouration, only burnt in screen logos. He kept saying the green hue is common issue from screen burn.

How did you argue in regards to the warranty and get richer sounds to accept it? I spoke to a fella on the phone and I tried to explain even in their warranty it doesn't mention about disccolouration, only burnt in screen logos. He kept saying the green hue is common issue from screen burn.
thats not screen burn i told them i had contacted LG and they had looked at the picture and the panel needed changing but they didnt have any as they stopped making them so richer sound gave me a credit note to purchase a new one from them :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom