LG oled TV experiencing white snow when watching Netflix

Konveks

Novice Member
Hi,

I have an oled TV 2016 or 2017 model. The TV is absolutely amazing. However, when using an HDmi cable from my computer to my television, I experience white small dots sparkling all over the TV in different locations. It does not bother me enough to not watch the movie, but it is still annoying.

Just to mention, it does not happen when watching YouTube on the screen, just Netflix and for some weird reason, the "YouTube movie".
Everything else is great.

Anyone else who have experience the same? It can almost be described as those really old TV with an analogue antenna standing on top of it

D

Deleted member 824553

So only on that HDMI from the PC? Any HDMI port on the TV? Not on Netflix app that is in the TV? If so it would be the cable problem...

Konveks

Novice Member
Netflix add film grain to all of their shows. I'd imagine it's this you're seeing...

You might be right! But man, it is so bad whenever there are dark places on the movie I can see plenty of white dots going on and off in the speed of light.. . Is there any way around this? It is ruining the movies.

Is it damaging for the TV as well?

Konveks

Novice Member
So I tried Netflix directly on the TV, and it worked fine no more white snow dots all over the place!

Strange! I can watch YouTube with HDmi from computer fine, but Netflix does not work what can be wrong??

1crb1

If it’s from a hdmi source it is the hdmi cable struggling to reach that resolution. You will need to change hdmi cable. How long is the cable and we can recommend one

Konveks

Novice Member
If it’s from a hdmi source it is the hdmi cable struggling to reach that resolution. You will need to change hdmi cable. How long is the cable and we can recommend one
Ahhh, that stings... The cable is like 15 meters

Zigourney

Ahhh, that stings... The cable is like 15 meters

What you have described is also known as "sparklies" as result from the HDMI cable either being of poor quality, or not being able to handle the bandwidth, but in your case it is due to the length of the cable.

Hdmi cables are certified to if I remember correctly 8 meters, and can usually work fine upto 10-12 meters using a high quality cable. Up to 15 meters you will need fibre hdmi.

Hdmi cables are certified to if I remember correctly 8 meters, and can usually work fine upto 10-12 meters using a high quality cable. Up to 15 meters you will need fibre hdmi.
As far as I know, a US company called Monoprice currently supply the longest 'Premium Certified' HDMI lead at 30feet (9.1 meters).

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom