Churchillious

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have been playing a lot more HDR games on my Oled LGC6V latley and not sure about the match up with the HDMI Black levels
I have mine set to Low and RGB to Auto.
I know people say if it's Full RGB then select High which is fine in non HDR content but with HDR switching from RGB Auto Full or limited doesn't seem to do anything so I just leave my TV set at Auto and Low.
The picture looks great but contrast from light to dark is a bit hard on the eyes. I use a black level page in my PS4 browser to try and get the correct reference black. If it's set to "Low" I need to up the brightness to 53 to reach the correct black level but if is set to "High" the level is correct at 50 the only problem is that the whole look of blacks seem to be brown and washed out a bit like if you selected "RGB Limited" and "High HDMI" in non HDR mode.
Anyone else having any issues I'm starting to with I never bothered with a HDR TV I'm 50/50

I think HDR mode only works 'in game'

If you play a PS4 game with HDR and go back to the PS4 menu with the game still running, it looks weird.

Yeah it's af if every game has a different setting needed for it to look good.
I find altering dynamic contrast from off to low medium or high can improve the overall brightness but it sort of screws up the colours seems to give everything a washed out blue tint.
"Standard" looks much brighter but the Sky and clouds don't have as much detail as when using "Game Mode"
I honestly really like the extra colours hrd seems to give you but not so much the extra contrast. I find it hard to play a only shooter like Battlefield 1 with HDR, it's hard enough to kill someone without all the extra bloom effects (even though it looks good haha)

I use limited and low for hdr and standard content , set and forget.

Don’t trust the auto setting.

Why do people use limited and Low instead of high and full?

Starwars Beta is very dark in HDR mode I wish there was a way to make it brighter without using Dynamic Contrast. The in game brightness just looks washed out when increased. I might just use Standard HDR and sod the Lag l.

Ps4 pro only outputs HDR@2160p in YUV which always uses video range signal (RGB limited) not data range signal (RGB full). Its a limitation on hdmi 2.0 but the pro can output RGB full in HDR when set to 1080p. Doesn't really matter either way though as it just changes the signal format for compatability with monitors. If you took pictures and did a side by side comparison between (limited/low) and (full/high) there would be no discernable difference. It really only exists so that the ps4 can deliver an identical experience when hooked up to a pc monitor.

Use low and limited all the time. That is the easiest thing to do. Then you don't need to worry about the content you are using the console for. Not sure why people use full with TVs. It's pointless. Your Tv may support it but you get no benefit.

I thought High/Full gave you a greater range though is it 0-255 in Full and Limited/Low 16-235?

When ever I change from the 3 settings "Limited Auto Full" in HDR mode nothing changes but if I select High in the HDMI Black Level on the TV the Blacks become brownish...It doesn't look to bad but I don't think it's right.

Ps4 pro only outputs HDR@2160p in YUV which always uses video range signal (RGB limited) not data range signal (RGB full). Its a limitation on hdmi 2.0 but the pro can output RGB full in HDR when set to 1080p. Doesn't really matter either way though as it just changes the signal format for compatability with monitors. If you took pictures and did a side by side comparison between (limited/low) and (full/high) there would be no discernable difference. It really only exists so that the ps4 can deliver an identical experience when hooked up to a pc monitor.

I've just read over this again.... so that's why you leave the Black Level Low in HDR mode.
Thanks

I thought High/Full gave you a greater range though is it 0-255 in Full and Limited/Low 16-235?

When ever I change from the 3 settings "Limited Auto Full" in HDR mode nothing changes but if I select High in the HDMI Black Level on the TV the Blacks become brownish...It doesn't look to bad but I don't think it's right.

If you use limited then you must set black level on the TV to low. If you use full then you must use high.

However, so long as your TV setting and console setting matches it really doesn't matter. You won't notice any difference.

TVs generally do better with limited and low. However, for monitors you should use full. The advantage of limited and low is that for any film or video content you watch through your console it will be displayed correctly. If you use full, then that will not be the case.

I always assumed the same, that 'Full and High' was best, but Limited and Low is exactly the same and less hassle to be honest.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom