LG OLED (Price differences between 3LA/9LA)

raz25

Novice Member
Hey guys, I'm opening this thread so maybe someone can shed a light on me on this matter. I recently bought an LG65CX3LA (model for Eastern Europe) which has only one tuner compared to the twin tuner version of 9LA and I suppose other more expensive versions. I paid £1482 for it brand new.

I want to make sure I'm getting the most for my money and will not feel bad at the end of Q1 when the price will drop even further. Now I know everyone will say not to worry as I got a great price for it, but guys, prices are different here. This offer of £ 1480 has been available for almost 2 weeks now straight.

Here is an overview of the price differences between UK/Germany/Eastern Europe

55BX
UK: £ 1050
DE: £ 1080
EE: £ 910 !!

55CX
UK: £ 1300
DE: £ 1250
EE: £ 1110 !!

65BX
UK: £ 1600
DE: £ 1490
EE: £ 1430 !!

65CX
UK: £ 2000
DE: £ 1800
EE: £ 1480 !!

The same applies to the GX series more or less. As you can see, the price difference varies from £60 (65BX) to £320 (65CX). My question is as follows: Is it reasonable to think that these price differences will be maintained? Assume for example the 55CX will go down in the UK in February to £1100 will it be sold in Eastern countries for £900? If that's the case I'm leaning towards returning the TV.

Dodgexander

You can usually tell the margins made on TVs in the UK by how low the predecessors drop in clearance each year. Clearance time is usually around spring and summer when the new models are coming out to replace the old. The best time to buy here is always then, with Black Friday each year tending to be the first time to consider buying a TV if you don't want to over-pay.

The prices you have already are about in line of what you can expect to pay in the UK in the best case scenario. So I'd say prices probably won't drop as much locally as they will here since you are closer to the TVs cost of production.

Earlier this year the B9 dropped in the UK to just less than £1500, and whilst prices year to year aren't exactly like for like, you have good prices already. I'd expect them to be a bit lower this year in the UK, but not as low as you've found.

Of course nothing is ever guaranteed, but you can get an idea locally if you look at historic pricing trends over the years for the same series of TV.

raz25

Novice Member
The prices you have already are about in line of what you can expect to pay in the UK in the best case scenario. So I'd say prices probably won't drop as much locally as they will here since you are closer to the TVs cost of production.

This is very interesting, care to elaborate on this? What is the production cost of, say, a 65cx? Also could you possibly know how much would it cost to install an additional tuner in the TV? As far as I know that's the only difference between the 3LA and 9LA, apart from possibly different assembly plants.

Of course nothing is ever guaranteed, but you can get an idea locally if you look at historic pricing trends over the years for the same series of TV.

I checked the price histories for the C8 and C9 and the biggest discounts were identical between UK/Germany and the rest of Europe. This year however with X line, things are different. The £200 difference has been constant throughout the year.

Dodgexander

They are cutting production costs a little each year which probably explains the difference in price with the new X range. If I was to take a guess I'd say the CX selling at cost would be around £1400.

TVs in the UK have always been more expensive than mainland Europe though, in part I'm sure because of tax and having to import products to an island. So probably the difference in price you see is reduced local taxes and the average income being lower too. I don't think you'll see big price drops from the prices you already have but I could be wrong.

No idea with the tuner thing btw, they sell some specific model numbers to different stores and regions, some may have dual, some single. I always thought the GX was the first to have a dual tuner in their lineup so you may want to double check with LG on that one.

I would prefer anyway to use a dedicated tuner for recording. It's pretty rudimentary direct on the TV, and LGs EPG isn't great.

raz25

Novice Member
That makes a lot of sense, many thanks for the thorough responses. At the end of the day I am happy with how much I paid for the TV, however, I'm not over the moon with how it handles motion, but that's another story.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom