LG oled picture issue

ske911

Looks like poor signal strengh / low bitrate .. I found Cinema Home to be the best setting CX65 outta the Box...if Prime & Netflix are good then it points towards signal

Tazman110

Standard Member
I’m new on here so not sure if I’m on the right page. But here goes.
I just purchased the LG oled 55 cx tv and the picture on sky cinema HD is terrible. I’ve got the new sky Q 2T box. When I watch Sky uhd content is seems fine ( Netflix and prime is fine) but when watching any content with dark scenes like game of thrones or Harry Potter, where it should be black it’s like a red and blue pixelation which is unwatchable. It’s the same on normal channels like bbc Hd or sky on. When watching anything say like the news it’s fine but as soon as there is a dark scene there is this annoying pixel problem. I’ve a band new cable running from tv to sky box. All the connections seem fine the sky signal strength is 70 signal quality is 90.I’ve changed the settings on sky from uhd back to 1080p but it makes no difference. I’ve played around with the picture setting on the tv but to no avail and it appears on all picture mode settings like vivid, sports etc. Has any one had this problem ? Is there something that I’m missing ? I’ve spoken to my tv retailer and he has assured me that this should not happen and has ruled out the tv as it only happens on sky. I have booked a sky engineer for next week but I just don’t want him to get here and he’s say it’s something stupid. I’m just hoping someone on here has had the problem and knows what it is . Thank you
Clearly if the picture doesn’t react badly with Netflix or Prime I humbly suggest that your TV is fine it’s the Sky signal that’s the problem! Maybe a problem with the box but more likely terrible bandwidth !! I have a large LG Oled it’s a lovely picture , the best bandwith and thus picture quality actually comes from my Apple Tv. With the huge increase in demand on the broadband it seems some broadcasting is being done at lower bandwith thus rubbish picture. Suggest see what Sky engineer says , maybe he can do an actual measurement to show you ? Plus of course test your broadband speed .... good luck , hope you get it sorted it’s a great TV !

Kapkirk

The original issue related to dark scenes with low bitrates, are these shots of low bitrate scenes ? Looks like BBC1 HD, doubt the bit rate would be that low.
Shot from youtube (no idea if it was HD or not) with a sony cybershot compact, I did try a few different scenes low and high quality, and TBH I really didn't notice the issue that the OP is experiencing on his LG with any dark material HD or SD on the Panny. I would be pretty pissed as well though, reminded me of my mates first LED tv from 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Kapkirk

One scene was Arya Stark Kills The Night King, I just looked and it is in HD but seems very dark on my computer LCD screen, I'm wondering if he has accidentally messed up the Gamma settings which would cause that problem.

whirlpool

Shot from youtube (no idea if it was HD or not) with a sony cybershot compact, I did try a few different scenes low and high quality, and TBH I really didn't notice the issue that the OP is experiencing on his LG with any dark material HD or SD on the Panny. I would be pretty pissed as well though, reminded me of my mates first LED tv from 10 years ago.

To be of use as a direct comparison the same scenes would need to be obtained under the same conditions (the selected scenes from GOT on Sky Q) as the OP has the issue with. I don’t have low bitrate dark scene issues with my Panasonic DX902. His new TV needs to be calibrated for the room. Maybe he’s also pushing the brightness because of watching in a bright room.

Kapkirk

Or he could run the same clip I used from youtube, if the pic is OK or similar to my results then it's probably not his TV.

whirlpool

I’m new on here so not sure if I’m on the right page. But here goes.
I just purchased the LG oled 55 cx tv and the picture on sky cinema HD is terrible. I’ve got the new sky Q 2T box. When I watch Sky uhd content is seems fine ( Netflix and prime is fine) but when watching any content with dark scenes like game of thrones or Harry Potter, where it should be black it’s like a red and blue pixelation which is unwatchable. It’s the same on normal channels like bbc Hd or sky on. When watching anything say like the news it’s fine but as soon as there is a dark scene there is this annoying pixel problem. I’ve a band new cable running from tv to sky box. All the connections seem fine the sky signal strength is 70 signal quality is 90.I’ve changed the settings on sky from uhd back to 1080p but it makes no difference. I’ve played around with the picture setting on the tv but to no avail and it appears on all picture mode settings like vivid, sports etc. Has any one had this problem ? Is there something that I’m missing ? I’ve spoken to my tv retailer and he has assured me that this should not happen and has ruled out the tv as it only happens on sky. I have booked a sky engineer for next week but I just don’t want him to get here and he’s say it’s something stupid. I’m just hoping someone on here has had the problem and knows what it is . Thank you

Did the Sky engineer see the issue and what was the outcome ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom