LG oled picture issue

Hixs

Distinguished Member
1.2 is my constant running speed sadly! The CX with its much improved processing has helped a lot.

terb

Take a pic of your freesync info see what your getting to screen

Attachments

• 20201129_193148.jpg
    20201129_193148.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 177

staffy 2

I see all the blame on Sky but HD on my E7 with Sky Q is faultless.It looks so good it’s almost like 4k.Your tv shouldn’t be that bad with Sky.I find Sky Q a brilliant picture.Yes you can get the odd poor bit rate content but honestly 99% of my veiwing which is all on SkyQ is an amazing picture.Sometimes Ive put it on an sd channel by mistake but the picture quality is still watchable but much softer.I have the V2 Q box so check which one yours is.The V2 has an external power supply and does HDR.

StevenLasVegas

Standard Member
Hey OP, I feel your pain. I am having exactly the same issues with my GX77 in dark content on both Sky & Netflix. I am using the RTings recommended settings with ISF dark room. The picture quality can go from the sublime to abysmal in a flash.

I have done a bit of testing and uncovered a possible processing issue (found in the free Dolby Demand app and demo video cityscape - see pic). I don't know if the this issue is also exacerbating the raised blacks, macroblocking, posterization etc issues.

Pic2.jpg

I am currently talking to LG and they suggested that I try the pixel refresh. Unfortunately the pixel refresh did nothing positive.

I will keep you posted with LG recommendations if you are interested?

I see all the blame on Sky but HD on my E7 with Sky Q is faultless.It looks so good it’s almost like 4k.Your tv shouldn’t be that bad with Sky.I find Sky Q a brilliant picture.Yes you can get the odd poor bit rate content but honestly 99% of my veiwing which is all on SkyQ is an amazing picture.Sometimes Ive put it on an sd channel by mistake but the picture quality is still watchable but much softer.I have the V2 Q box so check which one yours is.The V2 has an external power supply and does HDR.

Yeah I'm far from uncritical about Sky, but credit where credit is due - watched the Bahrain GP yesterday in 4K, stunning picture. Not everything is as good as that unfortunately, but I've never seen anything as remotely bad as the OP pics showed.

compo

Standard Member
Problem is that LG screens process the Luminance to the nearest bit, hence the blue/red pixels. This explains the perfect picture when you pause the content. LG play the same game as the rest of the players, copy the Japanese manufacturers always have since the days of plasma, when LG screens were renowned for green pixel problems and now there dialling up the refresh rate on their OLED’s to 120Hz because the OLED picture war was lost to Panasonic, 2 generations ago😂😂 now LG are aiming their TV’s at gamers.

whirlpool

You're sending the tv back for something that's sky's issue, it shows up on my Panasonic dx902 aswell as with my LG c9 oled with low bandwidth content.

I have Sky Q and a Panasonic DX902 and have no issues with pixellation on low bitrate content.

computershack

Game of Thrones on Sky was absolutely horrendous picture quality in the dark scenes. Lots and lots of pixellation and not only that but you'd get flashing blocks too as the shade of something got near to black. At many points, especially in the last series in scenes like in the castle on a night time in a room lit by fire the dark areas of the picture were so bad that it looked worse than SD when viewing it on Sky.

Watching it on absolutely any other media was a completely different story.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I have Sky Q and a Panasonic DX902 and have no issues with pixellation on low bitrate content.
Try watching a game of thrones episode with dark scenes from sky and then come back to me. Lcd tv's tend to hide the issue aswell as they can't go fully black.

whirlpool

Try watching a game of thrones episode with dark scenes from sky and then come back to me. Lcd tv's tend to hide the issue aswell as they can't go fully black.

Haven't followed GOT but have watched other low bitrate dark scenes without pixellation. There have been other examples of dark productions. The Luminaries came in for a lot of criticism. Many dark and near black scenes, but didn't see any pixellation issues on Sky Q with this particular LCD.
LCDs not going fully black is a bit of a generalisation. You could make a similar generalisation about OLED having issues with handling near blacks.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Haven't followed GOT but have watched other low bitrate dark scenes without pixellation. There have been other examples of dark productions. The Luminaries came in for a lot of criticism. Many dark and near black scenes, but didn't see any pixellation issues on Sky Q with this particular LCD.
LCDs not going fully black is a bit of a generalisation. You could make a similar generalisation about OLED having issues with handling near blacks.
I own both an LG c9 and a dx902, so it's not a generalisation, the dx902 hides issues better than the c9 on the same content, probably due to oleds handling of just above black from black.
But sky's poor bitrate of game of thrones in general couldn't be masked by any tv I imagine

whirlpool

I own both an LG c9 and a dx902, so it's not a generalisation, the dx902 hides issues better than the c9 on the same content, probably due to oleds handling of just above black from black.
But sky's poor bitrate of game of thrones in general couldn't be masked by any tv I imagine

But to handle a wide range of content with varying bitrates, which is what you hope for from any display, the issue distils down to "probably due to oleds handling of just above black from black".
I'll check out one of the suggested GOT episodes. I had a number of Plasma TVs, but have held off going to OLED because of the issue with their handling of a wide range of content with varying bitrates. But if I was going to go to OLED I'd go for the latest Panasonic, for the picture processing.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
But to handle a wide range of content with varying bitrates, which is what you hope for from any display, the issue distils down to "probably due to oleds handling of just above black from black".
I'll check out one of the suggested GOT episodes. I had a number of Plasma TVs, but have held off going to OLED because of the issue with their handling of a wide range of content with varying bitrates. But if I was going to go to OLED I'd go for the latest Panasonic, for the picture processing.
It all depends on the content, I've been rewatching the x files on amazon prime, and overall it looks better on the oled in dark scenes than my dx902, both have been professionally calibrated too

whirlpool

It all depends on the content, I've been rewatching the x files on amazon prime, and overall it looks better on the oled in dark scenes than my dx902, both have been professionally calibrated too

My DX902 is calibrated, I haven’t considered changing it, it‘s ability to get the best out of a range of content continues to impress, especially with the firmware upgrade to support HLG. Maybe the bit rate on the X-files on Amazon Prime gets the OLED out of the “probably due to oleds handling of just above black from black" zone.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
My DX902 is calibrated, I haven’t considered changing it, it‘s ability to get the best out of a range of content continues to impress, especially with the firmware upgrade to support HLG.
Yeah the dx902 is a stonking TV, I love mine. Its my daily TV, the c9 is in the bedroom.

littletee

Isf modes are only accurate if you have actually had them calibrated. You need to set black and white levels for the room and is sounds like your room is way too bright

steveakam

Standard Member
I'm having the same issue with freeview SD channels, freeview HD is better but not perfect. I only have the Disney channel at the moment and everything I stream on there is perfect. I have a LG 50un70006la. very disappointed with this tv, we have two old LGs, over six years old and this tv replaces an even older LG that died. all three had perfect picture quality and the blacks were spot on. had new aerial and coax fitted with no real improvement. went past the thirty days doing this so missed my opportunity to reject and return otherwise it would have gone back.

Kapkirk

I know what u mean , looks like it could be going back to shop as I see how they can justify such bad viewing when we are suppose to be buying a premium product.
Here is a few dark shot from my Panasonic HZ2000 for comparison to show your engineer.

Attachments

• DSC00025.JPG
    DSC00025.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 92

Kapkirk

GOF for you furryhobnob, Bare in mind I'm at the mercy and limitation of my camera and its user, not easy trying to pause the TV in the dark and take a picture.

Attachments

• DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00037.JPG
    DSC00037.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00033.JPG
    DSC00033.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00035.JPG
    DSC00035.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 87

whirlpool

Here is a few dark shot from my Panasonic HZ2000 for comparison to show your engineer.

The original issue related to dark scenes with low bitrates, are these shots of low bitrate scenes ? Looks like BBC1 HD, doubt the bit rate would be that low.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
GOF for you furryhobnob, Bare in mind I'm at the mercy and limitation of my camera and its user, not easy trying to pause the TV in the dark and take a picture.
Doesn't look like the same scenes from the op first post, are these from sky?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 16th June 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Deezer introduces 360 Sessions to showcase spatial audio
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
E3 2021: Ten of the Best
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber expands Lumina speaker range