LG oled picture issue

andrewarren

Novice Member
I have put a message on a help forum but had no reply as yet. But I have booked a sky engineer to come out next week. I would of thought that if it may be a common problem with the oled and other people may of had the same problem lol

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I have put a message on a help forum but had no reply as yet. But I have booked a sky engineer to come out next week. I would of thought that if it may be a common problem with the oled and other people may of had the same problem lol
Sky won't be able to do anything, it's been an ongoing issue for years, it's not just on oleds, it's on other high end tv's aswell, lcd's tend to hide the issue a little more than oleds that's all. But it's defo sky that's the issue

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
I have the same issue, it’s worse on my 77 GX due to size. I’m returning the GX because I know other TV’s hide it better plus I’m getting pixelation issues in good content ie DV, but ultimately in this case, it’s due to Sky’s crap quality feed.

andrewarren

Novice Member
Surely it must be a fault somewhere. I can’t believe that people pay£1500 and more for such a bad picture. My tv adviser has said it shouldn’t be like that and I can’t believe that no one else has had this issue and hasn’t resolved it. I’m watching strictly now and the picture is so good but watch a movie and it’s so bad. The picture on Netflix is really good so it has to be a sky issue if not a tv setting issue

andrewarren

Novice Member
I have the same issue, it’s worse on my 77 GX due to size. I’m returning the GX because I know other TV’s hide it better plus I’m getting pixelation issues in good content ie DV, but ultimately in this case, it’s due to Sky’s crap quality feed.
Have you had this confirmed by sky. I’d be even more upset if I’d of payed the money you have. Have to asked LG to have the tv back ?

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Surely it must be a fault somewhere. I can’t believe that people pay£1500 and more for such a bad picture. My tv adviser has said it shouldn’t be like that and I can’t believe that no one else has had this issue and hasn’t resolved it. I’m watching strictly now and the picture is so good but watch a movie and it’s so bad. The picture on Netflix is really good so it has to be a sky issue if not a tv setting issue
Its 100 percent sky's encoding, their bandwidth is terrible, been complaint after complaint year after year, loads of oled owners on here have mentioned it, there's nothing sky can do about it

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Have you had this confirmed by sky. I’d be even more upset if I’d of payed the money you have. Have to asked LG to have the tv back ?
It been a long term issue, I had it real bad with my E6 and C6 but funnily enough it wasn’t as bad with my C8. Something like a Harry Potter film or Game of Thrones crucifies the TV and near black content.

Sony and Panasonic handle it better on my opinion but that’s subjective.

andrewarren

Novice Member
I know what u mean , looks like it could be going back to shop as I see how they can justify such bad viewing when we are suppose to be buying a premium product.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I know what u mean , looks like it could be going back to shop as I see how they can justify such bad viewing when we are suppose to be buying a premium product.
You're sending the tv back for something that's sky's issue, it shows up on my Panasonic dx902 aswell as with my LG c9 oled with low bandwidth content.

andrewarren

Novice Member
If I’m unable to watch any sky content for picture issues then I’ll just bring out my all old 10 year Samsung tv which never gave me any picture quality problems and send the LG back. If other makes give a better reception then I’ll look at them but I’ve seen no bad reviews regarding the LG oled TVs and it’s disappointing that I wasn’t made awhere of this sky issue 😔

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
If I’m unable to watch any sky content for picture issues then I’ll just bring out my all old 10 year Samsung tv which never gave me any picture quality problems and send the LG back. If other makes give a better reception then I’ll look at them but I’ve seen no bad reviews regarding the LG oled TVs and it’s disappointing that I wasn’t made awhere of this sky issue 😔
Other makes don't give a better reception, the Sony tv's for example have some picture processing that helps with low bitrate content , sky's bitrate has got worse over time, the better TV you have the worse this will look, oleds are pristine when fed good source material, feed it rubbish like sky and it highlights how poor skys encoding is.

It does look a bit odd to be fair, a bit more than just Sky's poor bitrates. Get Sky out to swap your box and swap your HDMI cable as well, can't hurt.

silent ninja

Your case seems a bit extreme. I'd get the Sky box changed. HD channels should not look like that. Double check you have a good HDMI cable - the sky one has no indication which versions/bandwidths it supports.

I watched episode 1 of Chernobyl yesterday on my Sony A8 OLED via Sky (HD recording). Lots of dark scenes, but we were pleased with how it looked better than our 9 year old TV. These TVs are certainly designed to excel with pristine 4k content, but HD - even via Skys crappy 1080i -should look quite good and at the least very watchable.

Keen to see how you get on. Best of luck

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
It does look a bit odd to be fair, a bit more than just Sky's poor bitrates. Get Sky out to swap your box and swap your HDMI cable as well, can't hurt.
If the tv is displaying a perfectly good image from other sources like netflix etc, then it shows the issue is with sky. This is not the first person complaining of sky's poor bitrate in dark scenes on films/programs.

And here's a forum from 2015 discussing sky's rubbish bitrate and encoding from 2015

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Sky is rubbish, it’s got worse over the years as well, aside from UHD stuff.

Highly frustrating!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
99% of picture issues with OLEDs are to do with using TV or streamed media,

This is why I hope physical media never goes away. I try to stick to physical media whenever possible so don't have these strange issues,

If the tv is displaying a perfectly good image from other sources like netflix etc, then it shows the issue is with sky. This is not the first person complaining of sky's poor bitrate in dark scenes on films/programs.

And here's a forum from 2015 discussing sky's rubbish bitrate and encoding from 2015

Not disputing it's likely to be a Sky issue, hence why I suggested swapping the box and cable out. However, the pictures and description look/sound much worse than I have ever seen on Sky, notwithstanding their poor bit rates. A dark scene on my Sky /TV just looks like a dark scene.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Not disputing it's likely to be a Sky issue, hence why I suggested swapping the box and cable out. However, the pictures and description look/sound much worse than I have ever seen on Sky, notwithstanding their poor bit rates. A dark scene on my Sky /TV just looks like a dark scene.
The photos he's posted are from game of thrones, these were notoriously bad for image quality in dark scenes on sky, most other content will be fine, his TV settings on normal will be making it look worse than it is aswell, you should really be on one of the more accurate modes, but we all have our preference to what image mode we like.

The photos he's posted are from game of thrones, these were notoriously bad for image quality in dark scenes on sky, most other content will be fine, his TV settings on normal will be making it look worse than it is aswell, you should really be on one of the more accurate modes, but we all have our preference to what image mode we like.

I have never watched Game of Thrones so can't comment on the PQ. Again I agree on the picture mode, and advised the OP earlier in the thread to use ISF.

Let's wait and see if a new box and cable improves the situation.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I have never watched Game of Thrones so can't comment on the PQ. Again I agree on the picture mode, and advised the OP earlier in the thread to use ISF.

Let's wait and see if a new box and cable improves the situation.
A new box won't sort it I'm afraid, no harm in trying though.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
My netflix running at 1.2mbps looks better then that!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Q Acoustics announces Q Active app availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL introduces Roku smart TVs for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco Audio introduces new N100-H50 digital music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 16th June 2021