LG OLED panel repair

Espurlock0921

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 65” C7 that is just under 2 years old. I already have multiple burn in spots on the tv which is very frustrating, and it’s obviously out of warranty. Anyone know what LG is gonna charge me to replace the panel? Anyone with prior experience? Thanks.

Hey guys. I have a 65” C7 that is just under 2 years old. I already have multiple burn in spots on the tv which is very frustrating, and it’s obviously out of warranty. Anyone know what LG is gonna charge me to replace the panel? Anyone with prior experience? Thanks.
Where did you buy it from? any extended warranty from the retailer?

If it's out of warranty then yes, unfortunately you'll have to pay for the repair.

It's worth also noting that typically, manufacturer nor retailer warranties would cover burn in, with OLED panels.

Paul

I have an LG C7 from Currys (UK) bought in May 2018 so about 18/19 months old. Burn in now obvious from Good Morning Britain logos. Contacted Currys who are going to take it away tomorrow for repair. My TV had an automatic 5 year guarantee (not an extended warranty). Check your receipt.

You’ll find people are now replacing panels with pixel wear under the 5 year warranty.Even LG are replacing some panels out of warranty but you have to pester them and say you’ll take them to the small claims court as all you’ve done is watched your tv.If they say no then you’ll get your money back if you go to court.Every case the judge has said the tv isn’t fit for purpose.I know it’s a hassle but it’s worth it.
Homeby in the USA on this forum just got LG to agree to fit a new panel to his 2year B7 with pixel wear.Just be polite and state your case.

Whats the burn in?

Unless its something that would point to "abuse" then you'd have a good argument under "not fit for purpose".

So for example a DOG or some other partial static content couldn't really be classed as abuse or abnormal use. After all LG know full well most channels carry DOGS and sports/etc will show scores. On the other hand if you've got Windows desktop burnt in or a large part of a picture that may indicate you left it paused for a long period, you may be out of luck.

How did you pay? IF you paid by credit card or finance tied to the purchase (i.e. retailer finance offer) then you could pursue the credit provider under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

I'd get onto them and state you've viewed it the same as any other TV and if that's resulted in burn in then clearly the TV is not fit for purpose.

Hi,

With regard to burn in ..... this is due to a design fault with the OLED technology, the manufacturers now have methods available to them to defeat the problem. It is unacceptable to say that you have damaged your TV by watching whatever channel you wish to watch. The TV must be able to display TV pictures without causing damage otherwise they are not fit for purpose.

I would suggest that you read about the experience of "Taximania" who had just such a problem with Currys and LG and took Currys to court and won. The experience is fully recorded at;

Good luck

I have an LG C7 from Currys (UK) bought in May 2018 so about 18/19 months old. Burn in now obvious from Good Morning Britain logos. Contacted Currys who are going to take it away tomorrow for repair. My TV had an automatic 5 year guarantee (not an extended warranty). Check your receipt.
HI, I also bought an LG OLED55C7 from Currys at the end of April 2018. The TV started to show a dark greyish, green band in the bottom left hand corner of the screen about 4 months ago that steadily became worse. Shortly before Xmas 2019, the same sort of band started to appear right across the middle of the screen. When I contacted LG on December 23 and explained the problem they said it sounded like a faulty panel but would not touch it as my mfrs warranty was only for 12 months. I contacted Currys who provided a 5 year guarantee and they collected it on 6 Jan 2020. So far I have been advised by Curry's that the TV is irreparable nd that they are awaiting authorisation from LG regarding a replacement TV which I should be able to obtain via a voucher. I wouldn't mind but my TV, although only 20 months old has only been used just over 14 months because I was hospitalised. My Panason TV which is LCD has been performing like a trooper for the last 10 years and is still going strong.

They wanted £800 to replace the panel on my 65b7

I’d stick with another Oled if I was you as newer models should be better.Im also of the opinion that these panels getting burn in are faulty to start with.No way should watching your tv be classed as abuse.I believe something must be wrong from the manufacturing process at the factory which leaves certain panels with a shorter life span.

If it's out of warranty then yes, unfortunately you'll have to pay for the repair.

It's worth also noting that typically, manufacturer nor retailer warranties would cover burn in, with OLED panels.

Paul
Not necessarily true. I contacted LG directly and they have authorized a free repair for my 65", 2 year old OLED TV that is also not under warranty. Didn't even have to fight much....they gave in rather easily. I think they know their technology sucks......

Not necessarily true. I contacted LG directly and they have authorized a free repair for my 65", 2 year old OLED TV that is also not under warranty. Didn't even have to fight much....they gave in rather easily. I think they know their technology sucks......

What department did you contact for this? I've done phone calls, online messages and WhatsApp messages all of them have been useless.

Homeby51 is located in the US so I doubt he can help.

I
What department did you contact for this? I've done phone calls, online messages and WhatsApp messages all of them have been useless.
just dialed the main LG customer service and went through their prompts....

Homeby LG are taking there time replacing your panel.Have they not given you a date yet.If not then keep ringing them as I’ve a feeling they are keeping you hanging on.

Homeby LG are taking there time replacing your panel.Have they not given you a date yet.If not then keep ringing them as I’ve a feeling they are keeping you hanging on.
The local service company used by LG doesn't have a great reputation and never answers their phone. I have bugged the hell out of them and they just texted me that they will check if the new screen has shipped. Who knows when if and when it will come in because others here have said that LG doesn't make my screen anymore.

I have also had the very same experience with this LG tv (owned for just 18 months brand new from Curry's, same panel type used) please see photos attached that I sent to LG customer support after a bit of 'backward and forwarding' with emails (some of which they chose to ignore and phone call/logs went 'missing' in their system) I finally get a reply, see underneath asking me to fund £200 for a faulty panel, out of warranty or not, this premium tv should be lasting well over 18 months of very 'normal' use and used for about 6 hours an evening.............that's it. The bottom line is that it is not fit for purpose and certainly not designed to function with the normal/daily intention of 'normal' use of which I would say mine is very low.
What are your thoughts on this? Should I push harder and ask them to waive all costs suggested they expect me to pay or maybe try and strike a deal to go halves i.e £100, it's beyond me why I should pay for a replacement panel at all that LG has already acknowledged its a faulty panel used and put their hands up to producing an inferior panel.
IMG-2923.JPG

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

We do apologise for any delays that you may be experiencing with regards to your case.

From looking into your case for you we can see that our Technical Team have reviewed the images that were provided to them and have advised that this is something that can be booked in for a repair.

Sadly due to the age of the unit, this would classified as out of warranty and therefore it would be a chargeable repair. In order to rectify the issues you are having this would be a chargeable repair of £200.00. This quotation is inclusive of VAT, parts, labour and courier collection/delivery.

If you wish to proceed down this route, please call us on 0344 847 5454 and we will be able to discuss the booking process with you and arrange for payment to be taken from our secure payment line.

If you have any questions regarding this please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards

LG Administration Team/VO

Attachments

• IMG-2954.JPG
    IMG-2954.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMG-2920.JPG
    IMG-2920.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG-2911.JPG
    IMG-2911.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG-2912.JPG
    IMG-2912.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 913
Because after doing a lot of research on here and other av forums Currys is the very last place to set up a complaint, 100% of what I've read is that Currys only ever offer their standard 1 year warranty (unless its a special manufactures warranty/deal, their way of resolving the matter will be that Currys warranty is only good for 12 months from the day of the transaction and they will tell you/customer to take it up with the manufacturer...….........…..standard, across the board, hence whilst why I'm dealing with LG.

Because after doing a lot of research on here and other av forums Currys is the very last place to set up a complaint, 100% of what I've read is that Currys only ever offer their standard 1 year warranty (unless its a special manufactures warranty/deal, their way of resolving the matter will be that Currys warranty is only good for 12 months from the day of the transaction and they will tell you/customer to take it up with the manufacturer...….........…..standard, across the board, hence whilst why I'm dealing with LG.

fair enough , I would still have gone to currys first , by the by , I would want it repairing for free , failing that I would take my chances with the small claims court route .....

Currys should have included a 5 year warranty with that tv so give them a ring.You really shouldn’t have to pay a penny and I’d say Currys should sort it out.
To be completely honest if you don’t want the hassle going to the small claims court I actually think £200 for a new panel is good coming from LG.The fact they’ve offered to fix it though just shows they know it should not be like this and they accept it’s a fault.LG only cover your first 12 months then it’s your retailer so that’s quite a decent price from LG out of warranty but you must ring Currys.

£200 is a great deal. If LG would guarantee me a new panel for £200 when I get burn in an OLED purchase, I'd bite their hand off (applying to the 77'' model). Of course I'm sure that the number will be highly inflated.

Regardless, I'd give Currys a ring and tell them the issue and tell them LG said a repair is available. Wouldn't mention numbers and see what they do.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom