LG OLED Panel Pressure Marks After Move

choymw

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I've been lurking on this forum for awhile and looking for your advice. I just moved across the country and reused my 55EG9600's original box. When the TV arrived and after unboxing, there are several pressure markings on the screen (see attached pic).

It appears some pressure points from styrofoam left some markings from rubbing against the panel during transport. There is what appears to be a film on the panel, which I have not removed. After doing some research, I'm getting some conflicting information on if the screen film should be removed or not (manual says do not). The TV is fine, however, the markings are visible when the panel is off (or on dark scenes).

I tried picking at the film with my fingernail and it is difficult to remove. Am I SOL or should I try to take the film removal to the next level by using some mild heat from a hair dryer? How critical is the film as I am assuming it is for glare reduction?

Attachments

• IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,227
Last edited:
The AR film is needed unless you like massive reflections. Looks like part of the film was removed by rubbing, or they could just be marks. Try some distilled water and see if those marks can come out. If not, you are basically stuck with it.

The AR film is needed unless you like massive reflections. Looks like part of the film was removed by rubbing, or they could just be marks. Try some distilled water and see if those marks can come out. If not, you are basically stuck with it.

Thanks. I'll give the distilled water a shot. I believe a thin layer of the AR film was rubbed off due to contact with the styrofoam as it is smooth vs. grippy on the non-marked areas. If the this doesn't do the job and the marks bug me enough to remove the film, what steps would you recommend to do so?

Thanks. I'll give the distilled water a shot. I believe a thin layer of the AR film was rubbed off due to contact with the styrofoam as it is smooth vs. grippy on the non-marked areas. If the this doesn't do the job and the marks bug me enough to remove the film, what steps would you recommend to do so?

I don't know how one goes about removing the film. A local window company that deals with AR filters, etc, may be able to help you.

Get an even bigger bit of strofoam and get rubbing!

More seriously, sorry to see that. I know you said you notice it in dark scenes but does it seriously stand out?

I expect it'll end up being some kind of alcohol type solution required but definitely speak to a professional that might be able to help. As Wxman said, maybe window company.

Who on earth says remove the film? It's there for a reason. I assume you don't you have accidental damage insurance on your house and contents?

This may be a stupid question, but has that actually rubbed the film off? It looks more like you've got a layer of styrofoam bonded/added to it which is thicker in parts than others - perhaps it my monitor. In which case, I'd be looking for a soapy none too invasive agent to separate the two.

The marks are moderately visible when watching TV during the day and nearly invisible at night. The best I can describe it is effectively a "bubble" on a phone/table screen protector but no air between the panel and film. It doesn't appear to be "ripped," rather just a very fine layer of the film has rubbed off due to friction from the packaging material.

I don't have accidental home coverage and this is not a huge deal but is more of an annoyance that I know the marks are there. I'll try using distilled water and report back but wanted to get your thoughts on home remedies as such and if anyone had a POV on film removal (if it eventually will bother me enough to do so).

If you do choose to go the route of removing the AR film, you will have a display that is virtually unwatchable during the day as it will have a mirror like image. On the other hand, night time viewing without any lights on, will probably be better and brighter than before.

Just wanted to close the loop on this and thank everyone for their help. I was able to process a damage claim with the moving company for a new C7 and will be able to move the EG9600 into the bedroom. Still bummed my original display is not perfect but can't complain about having 2 OLEDs in my house. Thanks!

Yeah there's no way that's fixable. It's similar to the coating on the pioneer Kuro's. Once it's marked or scratched there's nothing you can do. People should be extremely careful when rubbing marks off the tv as the film coating can degrade. Just keep kids with grubby fingers away from it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom