Question Lg oled issues?

Noricem

Novice Member
Hi!

Wonder if other members can help me out as g found out some information only a few weeks ago and would love some feedback from you guys about your experiences.

I've got a 55 inch oled lg tv, and mysteriously developed horrible screen burn within 13 months new purchase? Had it repaired only for the faulty unit reoccur less than a year later. Then by chance a few weeks ago i find a review of a guy talking about his new Sony 4k tv and I'm that review he tells you why he decided against a lg oled tv, then an article pops up reading that a lot of customers have had the same issue, then they showed a photo of the burn, and it was IDENTICAL to mine! I was speechless! I'm extremely careful with my tech and have had flat screens since 06 and with care I've not had one case of screen burn on any of my tvs, but this one has burned twice in 18 months? Huh? Are you guys aware of this? Thanks for reading!

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Pics of the burn?

It happening twice suggests you have a limited knowledge of the TVs limitations.

Noricem

Novice Member
As stated in the message, I've 4 other tvs and not had any screen burn issues ever. Only this one, and it cost double my Sony bravia and where one is done, the other has lasted 13 years and counting, so what limitations are you referring to?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Well your comparing LCDs to OLED to start with. Different panel technology right there. While I've been informed LCD can burn in, it's highly unlikely to happen unless it's severely abused (think pub TV).

If you have burn in twice in such a short time period your viewing habits are the problem, and the technology isn't right for you.

Noricem

Novice Member
Well your comparing LCDs to OLED to start with. Different panel technology right there. While I've been informed LCD can burn in, it's highly unlikely to happen unless it's severely abused (think pub TV).

If you have burn in twice in such a short time period your viewing habits are the problem, and the technology isn't right for you.
No!

fluxedman

It should be very hard for LG OLED TVs especially any 2019-2020 models to get burn in really, they have enough tech built in to prevent it at this point.

Which LG model was it anyhow C9 ?

Sony also use LG old panels underneath so the issues can something be similar if not the same (same tv almost) just different software, features etc

If you got warranty, its worth still mentioning you have the same fault again and seeing if they can assist you with the repair that is if its got the usual 5 year UK warranty most UK companies give. If they say its not covered which is possible, a few ways you can deal with it the long way you can tell them the TV was not fit for its intended purpose and under law is should be repaired as such. (UK consumer regulations law) see how it goes from that point on.

The other way, ask LG for support and pitch the same line as above for them to repair it free, if again they don't and say burn ins not covered, ask them for a panel replacement service option usually £250. Maybe LG or your retailer can cover some if not all cost worth an ask also.

If you paid via credit card you may be able to get additional support and coverage from them also.

rishisoni

Standard Member
Hi. I've had a similar problem with my LG OLED (B7 55 inch). Purchased from John Lewis in 2018. John Lewis saying its not covered by their 5 year warranty as their engineers consider it screen burn. Doesn't look like screen burn to me. Are my only options to go via credit card company or consumer law? Is it worth going direct to LG as i've seen this seems a common problem on the LGs.
IMG_0824.jpg

Attachments

• TV 4.jpg
    TV 4.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 65
  • TV 5.jpg
    TV 5.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 62
  • TV 1.jpg
    TV 1.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 99

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Thats screen burn. You can try LG, but they're only going to tell you to contact your retailer They will do a screen replacement for £200 though.

fluxedman

Hi. I've had a similar problem with my LG OLED (B7 55 inch). Purchased from John Lewis in 2018. John Lewis saying its not covered by their 5 year warranty as their engineers consider it screen burn. Doesn't look like screen burn to me. Are my only options to go via credit card company or consumer law? Is it worth going direct to LG as i've seen this seems a common problem on the LGs. View attachment 1452566

Technically you can argue that your expensive OLED should have lasted more then 3 years before developing this screen fault and under the Consumer regulations law its not fit for its intended purpose and of satisfactory quality and if you had known it would not have lasted more then 3 years (as described) you would not have purchased it from john lewis.

See the law here, those 3 bits (fit for purpose, satisfactory quality, as described)

Technically its failed on all 3 Law counts and id say any judge would be blind to not see it in your favour.

You can also do the same email to LG UK helpdesk directly but change the last part if you had known LG would produce a Tv that did not last 3 years you would not have bought it, but also stress they have failed on the first 2 parts (fit for its purpose and satisfactory quality) also.

If the emails to JL and the manufacturer don't work, it may at least force one of them to do a free panel replacement service or JL could technically pay LG the £200/£250 fee to do it.

And if none of that fails id bet if you found and paid a solicitor online to email JL or LG, that may swing it for you just don't pay too much of a fee.

Course if you don't want all the above headache which anyone would understand, LG may offer the replacement panel service for £200-250, but I have heard they are in short stock of panels and may not even offer the service to some due to covid and parts.

rishisoni

Standard Member
Thats screen burn. You can try LG, but they're only going to tell you to contact your retailer They will do a screen replacement for £200 though.
Thanks. I’ll try LG. John Lewis quoted £1100 for a screen replacement

rishisoni

Standard Member
Technically you can argue that your expensive OLED should have lasted more then 3 years before developing this screen fault and under the Consumer regulations law its not fit for its intended purpose and of satisfactory quality and if you had known it would not have lasted more then 3 years (as described) you would not have purchased it from john lewis.

See the law here, those 3 bits (fit for purpose, satisfactory quality, as described)

Technically its failed on all 3 Law counts and id say any judge would be blind to not see it in your favour.

You can also do the same email to LG UK helpdesk directly but change the last part if you had known LG would produce a Tv that did not last 3 years you would not have bought it, but also stress they have failed on the first 2 parts (fit for its purpose and satisfactory quality) also.

If the emails to JL and the manufacturer don't work, it may at least force one of them to do a free panel replacement service or JL could technically pay LG the £200/£250 fee to do it.

And if none of that fails id bet if you found and paid a solicitor online to email JL or LG, that may swing it for you just don't pay too much of a fee.

Course if you don't want all the above headache which anyone would understand, LG may offer the replacement panel service for £200-250, but I have heard they are in short stock of panels and may not even offer the service to some due to covid and parts.
Thanks for the advice. Will give it a try. JL quoted me £1100 for a screen replacement so worth knowing about LG cost direct. TV is still watchable so not urgent to get it done ASAP but just want it sorted. Very disappointed in the LG tv to only last 2.5 years and also to see how many others have had similar issues. I convinced my parents to buy this for their place when they were happy spending lots less

fluxedman

Thanks for the advice. Will give it a try. JL quoted me £1100 for a screen replacement so worth knowing about LG cost direct. TV is still watchable so not urgent to get it done ASAP but just want it sorted. Very disappointed in the LG tv to only last 2.5 years and also to see how many others have had similar issues. I convinced my parents to buy this for their place when they were happy spending lots less

1.1K for a repair ? that's the price of the latest 55" CX. Really retailer or LG should pull their weight here and offer the panel replacement service for you free but id imagine they want you to fork it out.

Its a bit hit and miss if they even offer it lately due to covid and panel/engineer shortages, but its worth if they offer the panel replacement option ask them nicely if they can pay for it or if JL can since its not your fault this fault occurred and a 1K+ TV should last more then 2 years really and that is what the consumer law says that goods should be of a satisfactory quality and last long.

Id bet a solicitors email would make LG and JL wet themselves.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
1100 is nonsense. For that you're not far off a used 65" oled.

Push for the £200 replacement if you can't get a freebie.

Jeep Medic

Novice Member
Hi!

Wonder if other members can help me out as g found out some information only a few weeks ago and would love some feedback from you guys about your experiences.

I've got a 55 inch oled lg tv, and mysteriously developed horrible screen burn within 13 months new purchase? Had it repaired only for the faulty unit reoccur less than a year later. Then by chance a few weeks ago i find a review of a guy talking about his new Sony 4k tv and I'm that review he tells you why he decided against a lg oled tv, then an article pops up reading that a lot of customers have had the same issue, then they showed a photo of the burn, and it was IDENTICAL to mine! I was speechless! I'm extremely careful with my tech and have had flat screens since 06 and with care I've not had one case of screen burn on any of my tvs, but this one has burned twice in 18 months? Huh? Are you guys aware of this? Thanks for reading!
Hi every one. I am currently dealing with the same problem of overheating LG OLED 55" screen. NO, this is NOT screen burn and YES, I do know my TV technology. I was keen to buy the best (as recommended by Currys) Purchased in Oct 2018 and has been showing evidence of "overheating" for maybe the past 6 months. LG have been contacted and, yes, they will replace the panel for £200. My question to them was; will the panel need replacing every couple of years?

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_115848.jpg
    IMG_20210129_115848.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 102

Jeep Medic

Novice Member
That is not screen burn (image retention) although you can see some image retention, the actual centre of the screen shows signs of overheating, caused by the main processing board(s) on the back of the panel. Both issues should not be an issue on this technology, despite how long you have the TV turned on. Pixel refresh exists on many such TVs and is not something that bothers me. Design faults and such does.

wilson69

Standard Member
Hi!

Ive had a horrible time with oleds and still i continue to buy a fool and his money are easily parted

jon5jon

Standard Member
I have an LG 55ec930v from new so about 5 years old, only issue I have ever had is minor image retention on the letterbox bars but they have always gone the next day after tv on standby overnight. I was thinking of replacing with a new OLED but all these reports of issues is certainly putting me off as I have a family and they are not as careful as I am with the tv! I hope everyone with these issues gets it resolved the manufacturer should replace screen foc

fluxedman

I have an LG 55ec930v from new so about 5 years old, only issue I have ever had is minor image retention on the letterbox bars but they have always gone the next day after tv on standby overnight. I was thinking of replacing with a new OLED but all these reports of issues is certainly putting me off as I have a family and they are not as careful as I am with the tv! I hope everyone with these issues gets it resolved the manufacturer should replace screen foc

Go with john lewis and pay the extra £140 with burn in protection imo, these oleds cost much money so its worth it in the long run.

jon5jon

Standard Member
Bought the 930v from John Lewis. Checked panel uniformity using grey scale after seeing some on this forum that are not good, pleased to see panel near perfect. Are the reports of poor panels grossly exaggerated?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
No. Most OLED have flaws. It's just some are very visible in normal content, which is where the problem lies.

I'm sure if I ran slides on mine it wouldn't be faultless, but in normal viewing conditions I see no banding. My previous OLED had dreadful banding towards the end.

JustTheFacts

Bought the 930v from John Lewis. Checked panel uniformity using grey scale after seeing some on this forum that are not good, pleased to see panel near perfect. Are the reports of poor panels grossly exaggerated?
Agree.
When you look at problems and satisfaction on retailers websites from actual owners many of the problems mentioned in critics reviews don't show up. The satisfaction amoung actual owners with TVs is much higher than the critics ratings would imply.

Last edited:

Noricem

Novice Member
Hi. I've had a similar problem with my LG OLED (B7 55 inch). Purchased from John Lewis in 2018. John Lewis saying its not covered by their 5 year warranty as their engineers consider it screen burn. Doesn't look like screen burn to me. Are my only options to go via credit card company or consumer law? Is it worth going direct to LG as i've seen this seems a common problem on the LGs. View attachment 1452566
Mine is identical to yours mate!!

Philster123

Do you have the news on a lot? It looks like logo burn in top left/bottom left with a news tickertape feed at the bottom, just saying because when you go to the shop, if I thought that, I'm sure they will. Just trying to prep you for your conversation with the store. Funny how your brain tries to fill in the picture so to speak...

IL Cattivo

Go with john lewis and pay the extra £140 with burn in protection imo, these oleds cost much money so its worth it in the long run.
Do you know if that protection would also cover you for any potential overheating of the panel, as seen in post #14..?? I agree OLED's for their price need to be protected for these issues. I am soon to pull the trigger on a high end 2021 model when they're released, and although my new OLED won't be on all day and/or used by my family, (Office, Mainly evening movie / gaming use) I'd still be happier and sleep better at night knowing I am protected should anything untoward develop during its first 3/4 years of use.

Will I Aint

That is not screen burn (image retention) although you can see some image retention, the actual centre of the screen shows signs of overheating, caused by the main processing board(s) on the back of the panel. Both issues should not be an issue on this technology, despite how long you have the TV turned on. Pixel refresh exists on many such TVs and is not something that bothers me. Design faults and such does.
If this was overheating components behind the screen you would expect that to be just in the bottom 3rd of the screen as that's where the panel is widest although you might expect some upward heat radiation but that image is near the top of the screen and there does appear to be a logo of some sort. Could be a combination of both.

Has the OP tried a manual pixel refresh? It's mentioned in this thread but OP has not confirmed that a cycle was run. I've had weird patterns on my screen before which may have been a result of direct sunlight on the screen over a day, it was pretty bad but the pixel refresh cleared it and it's not happened since.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JBL launches compact 4309 Studio Monitor speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL launches TS8132 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces Express 4K streamer and new OS 10
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL reveals C82 Mini-LED and C72+ QLED TVs for Europe in 2021