LG Oled Issues

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Member 745905, May 1, 2016.

1. Member 745905

Member 745905
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've have an LG55eg960v Oled TVs. I upgraded from LGlm660t. I don't know much about oled technology but i can't help noticing like colour halos. Also like blocky blacks. Is the tv set faulty or is it down to source of TVs footage?. I've noticed also when playing to programmes such as walking dead or Big Bang theory there's like a snowy picture. Both through Apple TV (latest version) and Netflix but then I'll play a blue ray, game of thrones or hd movie (Netflix) and it looks fine. Is it just me?. Thanks...Here some pictures

Attached Files:

2. rogdodge

rogdodge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Can you show the pictures in landscape? :)

3. Member 745905

Member 745905
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm out untill later this evening but i can get some photos when i'm back home. I got another photo last night. This was taken whilst watching a movie last night on sky.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  4. wonko

wonko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Looks like issues due to poor quality content to me.

5. pezley

pezley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    The glow on the HDMI cable animation is intentional. You can ignore that one ( unless you see that type of thing on all content ? )

The blocky blacks etc are down to multiple things. Firstly, poor content. If you are using HDTV rips from the internet, frankly they suck. If you had an LCD before, they do a much better job than OLED with rubbish source material.

Secondly, this could be a calibration issue. Use the AVSForums calibration files ( they are free ) to calibrate brightness & Contrast correctly.

Use ISF1, it's close enough to pretty accurate and a great place to start. Once you have that set, turn off all Noise reduction, edge enhancement etc. Now set up your brightness and contrast correctly. The out of the box calibration for Gamma and colour is pretty good, not perfect but certainly OK. The Brightness and Contrast are very important to get right. More so on OLED then other TV's. If your brightness is too low it crushes all detail, if it's too high it highlights every flaw. They are not very forgiving.

Fortunately/Unfortunately you have bought a very High end TV... feed it rubbish images and it will show you rubbish images. Feed it amazing content and you will be very taken back.

If you want to see your TV really shine I suggest putting the below video on a USB stick. It's a 60fps HDR Demo, it will get rid of all worries that your TV isn't capable of showing you something amazing.

Demo Ultra-HD - Sony 4K - Camp HDR