LG OLED GX Owners and Discussion Thread

Well the GX can't know which device is selected on the Denon, so it can't adapt its remote control commands. That's why it depends on the device being connected directly to the GX.

When putting the GX up on the wall, I connected HDMI 2.1 cables to every input, even though two of those aren't in use (yet). This way you don't have to fiddle around later and have maximum flexibility.

If your receiver is eARC-capable, I would connect everything to the GX directly.

8D16A564-AAA4-4B98-8884-E4D7D3BB17C0.jpeg

Figured I would show off my new setup. Never had an OLED or a decent sound bar (Sonos Arc), so this is amazing so far. The wires don’t even bother me, but I will hide them with a plastic conduit.

Hi guys, does anyone have the opportunity to measure the distance from the top VESA mounting holes to the bottom of the 65 inch GX?

Last edited:
Luckily mine arrived today and I’ve just installed my brackets to mount on my heavy duty wall mount that used to hold my 46” Plasma.

tried to measure from as close to centre of bolt as possible and appears to be 510mm.

Not sure if you’re already aware as any documentation I could find was that the vesa holes are M6. Nowhere said how long though, I’ve used M6 x 16mm hex bolts. With bracket thickness and a washer it’s just right.
D87BC430-A43E-4EE5-BDF9-EB8166624856.jpeg
29D6ED77-ED55-449D-ABAE-38EA860F3AEB.jpeg

Luckily mine arrived today and I’ve just installed my brackets to mount on my heavy duty wall mount that used to hold my 46” Plasma.

tried to measure from as close to centre of bolt as possible and appears to be 510mm.

Not sure if you’re already aware as any documentation I could find was that the vesa holes are M6. Nowhere said how long though, I’ve used M6 x 16mm hex bolts. With bracket thickness and a washer it’s just right.
View attachment 1494077View attachment 1494078
Thx mate :clap: So that's a 65 inch?

We have the 65” GX TV with the GX soundbar mounted beneath it, plus the LG rears, and it’s all set up neatly enough to please the distaff side...

The 55” 2015 Samsung JS9000 has been moved into the kitchen/diner, and I finally have the GX matched with it on colour and contrast (and brightness even!) on broadcast TV. Of course, on what OLED is good at, the GX blows it clean away; and the JS9000 always had bad staircasing (colour banding)....

I have our UHD Panasonic Player going into the soundbar, as the TV does not do DTS and the soundbar does. (For information, the Panny reports 5.1 audio when used with the soundbar, but only 2.0 stereo when plugged into the TV, from Planet Earth II with its DTS-only 5.1 soundtrack).

Our UHD YouView box goes into HDMI 1 on the TV, but we are getting an issue with the soundbar if we start the TV and soundbar by switching on the YouView box; the soundbar comes on as HDMI, and we get no sound through either the bar or the TV.

I've tried disconnecting the Panny, at the Panny end, in case that was interfering, but it makes no difference.

We can, mostly, solve this by starting the TV first, which makes the soundbar go to eARC, and then putting the YouView box on; but even then, the soundbar sometimes goes to HDMI anyway.

And it’s not just the YouView box that does this; if I put the Panny on an HDMI cable going directly to the TV, I get the same behaviour.

So something about putting the TV on by CEC, and the TV then putting the soundbar on by CEC, seems to make the soundbar come on as HDMI.

It can be then switched to eARC with the F Key on the soundbar remote (or on the TV itself, through that is more complex) after which it is fine, but my wife says that is one or more steps too many, and she is right.

There is no logic to the soundbar defaulting to HDMI, when there is nothing feeding the soundbar’s HDMI input, but there is a TV pushing out eARC to it. The soundbar really ought to detect this and switch to eARC, even if its initial default is HDMI. But it doesn’t.

Anybody had this issue, and knows how to overcome it?

I read somewhere that you can get more control over the soundbar with an LG app, and I have the LG soundbar app on my iPad, and I can go through setup as far as linking the iPad by Bluetooth to the soundbar, after which, the app tells me, I should come back to the app from the iPad Setup option, and continue, except it gives me no means of continuing.

Or maybe I don’t understand the app, and I’m doing it wrong...

Any help for me out there?

Hi all.

I just got a 65gx. It was brand new sealed. However opened it and it seems bent. Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG-20210420-WA0019.jpeg
    IMG-20210420-WA0019.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 260
No. But I'd check how flat/true your wall is. Is where the bracket is mounted slightly inset? Don't do it by eye....get a straight piece of wood/metal and check it.

Have just got the 55 GX. Have a professional installer coming round next week to mount it flush and hide all the cables. However, I currently have an AVF wall mount (JBL8450) that I used to mount our Samsung, which the GX is replacing. Should it be ok to mount the GX on our existing wall mount until the installer can do it with the included, flush wall mount?

Have just got the 55 GX. Have a professional installer coming round next week to mount it flush and hide all the cables. However, I currently have an AVF wall mount (JBL8450) that I used to mount our Samsung, which the GX is replacing. Should it be ok to mount the GX on our existing wall mount until the installer can do it with the included, flush wall mount?
If you can't wait a few days then it will be fine to mount using any VESA mount. I used my existing mount as it was already recessed so my TV fits flush to wall like a picture as it should.

I used M6x16 bolts which were fine with thickness of bracket washer.

Hi can someone please tell me what orientation the power cable for the gx exits the rear.

i.e does it come straight out or exits left or right if viewing from behind! And does it or can it run flush behind the tv? Looks to me like there are moveable panels on the back!

Thanks!

Update: It was a really painful job, and required a huge amount of patience and commitment, but totally worth it. This TV is connected to a PC, PS5 and Xbox, all located in the room upstairs.

I'm absolutely delighted.

View attachment 1488613
Excuse me where did you source that floating beam/shelf and what finish is it, exactly what im after!

Nice setup, I do like that similar wall colour to mine! 👍

Hi can someone please tell me what orientation the power cable for the gx exits the rear.

i.e does it come straight out or exits left or right if viewing from behind! And does it or can it run flush behind the tv? Looks to me like there are moveable panels on the back!

Thanks!
When looking at the TV from behind, it enters the cable recess a few centimetres above the bottom edge from the left, as you can see here:
back-large.jpg

Owner of a GX65 here. I have an issue with my TV, looked everywhere for a solution and tried all the fixes without success. Maybe someone here can help. I don't get any audio output from devices connected via HDMI. I first had the problem on my Samsung Soundbar (ARC). I was forced using it via Bluetooth. Last week I connected a separate set-top box via HDMI and...no sound. Picture works perfectly. Tried to play with the settings, chsnched HDMI cables etc. with no luck. Anyone had a similar issue? TV picture has been set up by a professional, so I really try to avoid factory reset.

Owner of a GX65 here. I have an issue with my TV, looked everywhere for a solution and tried all the fixes without success. Maybe someone here can help. I don't get any audio output from devices connected via HDMI. I first had the problem on my Samsung Soundbar (ARC). I was forced using it via Bluetooth. Last week I connected a separate set-top box via HDMI and...no sound. Picture works perfectly. Tried to play with the settings, chsnched HDMI cables etc. with no luck. Anyone had a similar issue? TV picture has been set up by a professional, so I really try to avoid factory reset.
Have you tried sound out hdmi arc

Additonal settings
Sound out pass through
And if your sound bar does earc
Turn it on does this help

I am going to connect my 65” to a new Anthem receiver when it arrives via EArc. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of and any tips to assist ?

Hi, Just got myself a 55" GX and it's amazing... but getting a bit confused with getting the picture settings right.

I've kind of settled on ISF Dark Room for SDR.

For HDR 10 and Dolby Vision, I'm using the Cinema preset (with Dynamic Tone Mapping switched off for HDR). Where I'm confused is the Peak Brightness setting, which for HDR sources defaults to 'High' which seems really super bright. Just curious what you guys set this to?

Hi, Just got myself a 55" GX and it's amazing... but getting a bit confused with getting the picture settings right.

I've kind of settled on ISF Dark Room for SDR.

For HDR 10 and Dolby Vision, I'm using the Cinema preset (with Dynamic Tone Mapping switched off for HDR). Where I'm confused is the Peak Brightness setting, which for HDR sources defaults to 'High' which seems really super bright. Just curious what you guys set this to?

Peak brightness should ideally be left on the defaults. I presume if you turn it off the HDR specular highlights will look quite flat.

High for HDR
Off for SDR

Peak brightness should ideally be left on the defaults. I presume if you turn it off the HDR specular highlights will look quite flat.

High for HDR
Off for SDR
Thanks for confirming that! I think I was not quite expecting HDR to be quite as bright as have been used to a Panasonic plasma in dark room settings for so long!
Further fiddling has me now set to Filmmaker mode with OLED at 40 for SDR
Filmmaker mode for HDR / HLG (Peak Brightness now set to High)
Dolby Vision on Cinema with peak brightness on high.
This is looking really good now!

Thanks!

So I have ordered the 65" GX and am expecting delivery over the next couple of days. My first LG as I have always gone for Panasonic in the past, currently have a Panasonic 65CX800 which has served me well over the last five years. All my cables are currently hidden in trunking inside the wall, this will probably require some modification to achieve the flush fit of the new set but nothing i can't handle.

A couple of questions..

1. I currently have a 5.1.2 Atmos set up using a Denon AVR-X2400H AV receiver, can I expect any issues being as this is not the most current AVR?

2. Should I upgrade my 4K Bluray player as again its not the most current Panasonic DMP-UB700?

Will get some pictures posted as soon as i have it installed and set up correctly.

I’ve just ordered a GX 77 to replace our 65” Hisense which has had a good 5 year innings.
John Lewis are going to install it meaning a full rip out of the whole setup so they can get to the wall.
Just thinking of what HDMI cable would be best to my Onkyo which is a TX NR656.
I guess a 2.1 version cable is all that’s needed? I route all my inputs via that.

Well, my new G1 turned up and they took the GX away. It remains to be seen whether this panel has the same issues as the GX one did (and the CX before it didn't!), but I have to say I'm very impressed with the G1; maybe it's that illusion that you get when you have something new ("Shiny! Must be better!") but it seems to be a much better picture to me, so I recommend it for anyone considering upgrading from the GX ;-) . Actually one thing that definitely does seems to be objectively better is upscaling of SD content, which was a pleasant surprise. Anyway, farewell GX owners!

Amagad. I just received my LG GX (replacement for a Philips 873). I wanted to check for banding or tint issues and ran a few tests and to my biggest surprise, I think I have a perfect set! Is that a thing? Any chance it goes worth over time? Anyone uses the «gallery mode» when the tv is off? No risks of burn in? Any way to choose the style or the pictures from a nas or something?

Love the set, the picture is amazing, even better than the previous one. I’m in love.

Attachments

• 813B76A8-2E43-4407-AF57-7D2D66FB52AE.jpeg
    813B76A8-2E43-4407-AF57-7D2D66FB52AE.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 141

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom