LG OLED GX Owners and Discussion Thread

Thanks for taking the time to measure that @**mick**

Plastering done, 3 x hdmi 2.1, 1 x cat 6, 1 x usb 3 installed.

I hope the holes for the power and cable run are in the right place🤞

@alfaevans, I’m going to cut the plug off and feed it down the lower hole you can sen, the reattach a plug.

if you are not bothered about a small gap behind your TV you can put a fused spur with flex outlet then no need for a plug. I used to have that but as you can see I’ve replaced with a fused spur which is flat as I’m going for the zero gap look 😄

Don't forget to use the fuse from the TV plug in the fused spur :)

Hi Folks

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a 77" GX - but because of some restrictions on the wall I will be mounting it, I will have to use a traditional VESA mount rather than the fancy fold away mount that comes with the TV. On that basis, is it worth me paying the premium for the GX or should I save some money and go for the CX? Also, I'm torn between the Sonos Arc with Sub and S1 rears or the Samsung HW-950T soundbar. Can anybody comment on their experiences using this TV with either of those sound systems?

Many thanks, Andy

Hi Folks

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a 77" GX - but because of some restrictions on the wall I will be mounting it, I will have to use a traditional VESA mount rather than the fancy fold away mount that comes with the TV. On that basis, is it worth me paying the premium for the GX or should I save some money and go for the CX? Also, I'm torn between the Sonos Arc with Sub and S1 rears or the Samsung HW-950T soundbar. Can anybody comment on their experiences using this TV with either of those sound systems?

Many thanks, Andy

Personally, if you're not utilizing the flush mount feature, I'd just go for the CX.

Re the soundbar, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Arc myself, so look forward to any others' opinions there too.

I had the 55 GX installed by JL last week, having been undecided based on the reported issues with VRR gamma shift as I primarily wanted it for the new consoles. I'm glad I went ahead. This is the best OLED panel I've seen - I can't find any visible banding and the uniformity looks great at this stage. I previously had a faulty C7 replaced by a C8, both of which exhibited visible banding that was noticeable in content. It took me a while to get my settings just right on the GX, especially using HGIG for HDR gaming but it looks great. So far I haven't noticed any distracting gamma issues, even with VRR on. This may be worse where titles are more variable in their frame rate but for now it's no issue for me.

I also recommend anyone who buys this to use the supplied mount - it's ingenious and makes adding/ changing cabling arrangements really easy. I previously had my C8 mounted close to the wall and any of that was out of the question without taking the tv down. Once the magnet snaps into place, it is really simple to level the set too. Oh, and as others have mentioned, a little bit of tape is recommended to keep cables in place.

Finally, the JL installation was ropey though I suspect this will vary from area to area. If you are in any way precious about your space/ the tv, I wouldn't recommend it. I am surprised that there was no damage to the set given the way it was handled out of the box. Other downsides are that they marked all measurements on the wall in pen meaning major cleanup and despite measuring up correctly, managed to situate the tv off centre. The service was free on special offer so it is what it is. I don't imagine too many others will go ahead on a paid basis. Had we not been in semi lockdown here, I would have installed it myself with someone to help.

I will see how I get on with my GX for the next month but I've opened up a case with JL and will likely go for a replacement TV at the end of this month or January due to the white uniformity issue which comes across as a bit of dirty screen effect on LCDs.

Its not a deal breaker and given I have no TV otherwise (My c9 is now in the small lounge, my 902B is in the big lounge so I can't move them from those areas), I have to compromise somewhere.

However I'd like to roll the dice once more with this panels and see if I get one which doesn't exhibit as much DSE on whites. My opinion might change as I bed in the panel more but I doubt it.

If I'm still not happy, I'll obviously pocket the £4.5k which I was charged and by that time, it'll be February and I'll know what LG are offering next year.

If the replacement has the same issue, I'm happy to compromise and keep the TV BUT I'd like to see if other TVs exhibit the same issue first before comitting £4.5k to it.

If they knock off a £1k for it, I'll keep the TV though lol as its going to eventually be my parents anyway as I can't be arsed carrying this TV to the new house next year.

I compared to my 65'' C9 and there the white uniformity issue is far less obvious. Likely a combination of bigger screen size and maybe different manufacturing process for this year.

Hi Folks

Many thanks, Andy
Personally, if you're not utilizing the flush mount feature, I'd just go for the CX.

Re the soundbar, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Arc myself, so look forward to any others' opinions there too.
I've just recently gone for a 77GX with full Sonos Arc, Sub and surrounds... Incredible. It really is outstanding. Obviously, there will be better setups with lost of high end separates and amps, but the ease of use, and quality of sound have been exceptional. I've come from a Yamaha YSP-2700 sound projector, so it's not like I've just jumped straight from TV speakers - that sound bar was no slouch.

It's a decent sum to lay out, but if you''ve got the spare change and you're not looking to hide cables all over the place, I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Hi everyone. Upgraded from the OLED55B7V to the 55GX this week. Managed to get the thing on the wall after and love the completely flush look.
Question about the power cable though, apologies if already discussed but I searched and couldn’t find anything. I’ve moved into a new build house and before the GX was a twinkle in my eye I asked the house builder to add in some trunking into the wall, which they’ve done. But, the plug won’t fit down it. So the original idea was to cut off the molded plug, feed the wire down the trunking, and then add a plug back on. A friend mentioned it might be possible to actually remove the power cable instead though. I had a look and couldn’t see if it’s that obvious.
Has anyone got any experience? Thanks in advance.

Looks like the most likely approach, any other suggestions?

My GX arrives next Tuesday, so I can't be sure till then. However, it seems you may be able to unscrew the panel behind the power cord entry. But this may leave you with questionable warranty issues.

Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered the 65GX - should be delivered tomorrow. Upgrading from a 55B6V so from what I've read (and I did read every post here before buying) then I'm really looking forward to it arriving and getting it on the wall.

Quick question, how long in your experience should I let it bed in before considering getting it calibrated? A week, a month, longer?

Hi everyone. Upgraded from the OLED55B7V to the 55GX this week. Managed to get the thing on the wall after and love the completely flush look.
Question about the power cable though, apologies if already discussed but I searched and couldn’t find anything. I’ve moved into a new build house and before the GX was a twinkle in my eye I asked the house builder to add in some trunking into the wall, which they’ve done. But, the plug won’t fit down it. So the original idea was to cut off the molded plug, feed the wire down the trunking, and then add a plug back on. A friend mentioned it might be possible to actually remove the power cable instead though. I had a look and couldn’t see if it’s that obvious.
Has anyone got any experience? Thanks in advance.
Early posts on this forum confirmed that you could cut the moulded plug off and replace without affecting the warranty.
I personally can't confirm whether this is correct but there was quite a few discussions on this and everytime this was the solution

I've just recently gone for a 77GX with full Sonos Arc, Sub and surrounds... Incredible. It really is outstanding. Obviously, there will be better setups with lost of high end separates and amps, but the ease of use, and quality of sound have been exceptional. I've come from a Yamaha YSP-2700 sound projector, so it's not like I've just jumped straight from TV speakers - that sound bar was no slouch.

It's a decent sum to lay out, but if you''ve got the spare change and you're not looking to hide cables all over the place, I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

how do u find this on ur 77 incher? (focussing on the white space).

Early posts on this forum confirmed that you could cut the moulded plug off and replace without affecting the warranty.
I personally can't confirm whether this is correct but there was quite a few discussions on this and everytime this was the solution
Thanks, I think I read somewhere that was the case. Just wondered if I was missing a trick as a friend had a previous LG which he easily replaced the cable on.
I'll snip it off later today. Cheers.

My GX arrives next Tuesday, so I can't be sure till then. However, it seems you may be able to unscrew the panel behind the power cord entry. But this may leave you with questionable warranty issues.
I did remove a small panel on the bottom which only had three screws but couldn't see an obvious way to get to the cable as it appears to go further up.

Attachments

• IMG_DBD0AEBC71E5-1.jpeg
    IMG_DBD0AEBC71E5-1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 202
Thanks, I think I read somewhere that was the case. Just wondered if I was missing a trick as a friend had a previous LG which he easily replaced the cable on.
I'll snip it off later today. Cheers.
It states on the attached mains cable lead, by the plug, that if the plug is unsuitable then replace with an alternative, just make sure the fuse rating is the same, from recall it was 10A on the 77inch. That’s what I did, a rather stupid design on LG’s side to produce a TV that is flat to the wall where customers will of course want to hide cables behind their wall and then put a non removable cable on it with a large plug on the end of it. I think they could have come up with a better design, also, the cable retention clips on the back of the TV are rubbish, they come undone very easily causing the cables to come adrift making flat mounting to the wall impossible. I had to use duct tape across the cable routes to hold the cables in place, so be warned!!.

Just seen the dreaded raised blacks in DV, not amused at all!

Mounting issues corrected, someone who knew what they were doing has sorted it. Wires all now hidden, TV pushed back and clicked into place on the wall mount. At last!

Just need to wait for the filler to set now from the old hole and then will sand and paint.

Need to decide if I want to put the Philips Hue Light Strip back around as well. I will try and see how it looks, as honestly never used it much on the previous TV, but then again the surround was a lot darker, the paint is lighter this time so may look better.

The TV is still amazing me every single day, it even gained acknowledgement from the other half who agreed it looked a lot better - that means it looks a LOT better than the E6!

HDMI ARC issue is now sorted as well so the Sonos Beam connects properly. Had to try about 4 different HDMI cables, I thought it was a firmware bug, but thought I would try one last cable...worked immediately. All other cables and Sonos worked fine on the E6. Strange, but at least it is working now.

The sound on the GX is better than the E6, but it is just "TV Sound" so no way could I use it as my main sound source. Happy with the Sonos.

Still no regrets, absolutely amazing TV!
Hi, great news fitted properly now. Can I ask, once fitted and clicked into place can it be removed? Just think about decorating behind it at a later date? I can see it can be pulled out on the angle, is this easy and can you do both sides? Cheers

Hi, anybody know if you can remove tv from cantilever bracket once it’s clicked into place. Just wondering about decorating once tv is up. Can see it can be pulled out to one side, is it just one side or will it pull out both sides? Anybody bought a recess box in uk? Any suggestions where to get one and best size to use?
Looking forward to tv but mounting it becoming a bit of a nightmare. Thanks

Hi, anybody know if you can remove tv from cantilever bracket once it’s clicked into place. Just wondering about decorating once tv is up. Can see it can be pulled out to one side, is it just one side or will it pull out both sides? Anybody bought a recess box in uk? Any suggestions where to get one and best size to use?
Looking forward to tv but mounting it becoming a bit of a nightmare. Thanks

you can pull the tv away from the wall after it’s fitted, you can also lift it of the bracket if you wanted to.
I didn’t use the recess box, I just cut a hole out of the wall behind the tv where the cables exit. Once it’s pushed back in place you can’t see the hole.

Hi all GX owners. I was planning on buying the OLED65WX9LA but then was wondering about the OLED65GX6LA. The W is currently £3.5k on John Lewis compared to £2.3k for the GX. That's quite a significant difference. I was wondering if this is the reason why you went for the GX over the W? Or is there some other reason?
Thanks.

It states on the attached mains cable lead, by the plug, that if the plug is unsuitable then replace with an alternative, just make sure the fuse rating is the same, from recall it was 10A on the 77inch. That’s what I did, a rather stupid design on LG’s side to produce a TV that is flat to the wall where customers will of course want to hide cables behind their wall and then put a non removable cable on it with a large plug on the end of it. I think they could have come up with a better design, also, the cable retention clips on the back of the TV are rubbish, they come undone very easily causing the cables to come adrift making flat mounting to the wall impossible. I had to use duct tape across the cable routes to hold the cables in place, so be warned!!.
Hi, managed to snip it off and replaced the plug. Used the fuse it came with to avoid any issues. Cheers.

Hi guys anyone have actual measurnent for 65 gx from top of tv to lugs as in midst of building a stud wall to support tv when it arrives monday cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom