LG OLED GX Owners and Discussion Thread

safcsat

Hi. I see that the dimensions of the recessed box is 14.25x14.25 (inches presumably) but can anyone tell me the depth of the box?? I only have about 70mm before I hit solid stone on the wall I want to mount it on.
That should be ok, you only need enough to run the cables into. I have no recess box behind mine, so just use the gaps on the back of the tv to run the cables along. Pushes back fine. So with any sort of recess box at the back, it will work.

Zailorman

Novice Member
That should be ok, you only need enough to run the cables into. I have no recess box behind mine, so just use the gaps on the back of the tv to run the cables along. Pushes back fine. So with any sort of recess box at the back, it will work.
Thats very helpful,, thanks very much

skitzo

Novice Member
I've heard that there's a stand you can buy but I've looked everywhere but can't find one, can anyone help me please?

Enapace

I've heard that there's a stand you can buy but I've looked everywhere but can't find one, can anyone help me please?
I believe you have buy directly from LG and they aren't cheap and are very bad. might be best just get a VESA TV Stand Mount

safcsat

Had my OLED65GX calibrated by the super friendly and amazingly talented @Canary_Jules on Monday. Such a difference, love the set even more now!

Jules was a model professional, knew his stuff and knew exactly how to get the best out of this set.

Thanks again mate and I will be I touch once the garden office (*cough* cinema!) gets the green light!

NYanakiev

I got my 65" GX yesterday as an upgrade from my 55" E8. Really pleased so far!
I was also pleasantly surprised by the TV's speakers (waiting to get my black Sonos Arc delivered, Beam has been put up for sale);

Russellgti

If I where to get the 55 inch version of this tv and get the feet for it. Does anyone know how far apart they would be? As I am just trying to work out if it would go on my tv unit.

safcsat

I got my 65" GX yesterday as an upgrade from my 55" E8. Really pleased so far!
I was also pleasantly surprised by the TV's speakers (waiting to get my black Sonos Arc delivered, Beam has been put up for sale);
Do you have your (or will you have) Arc connected direct to the TV or via an AV Receiver?

I'm in two minds as to what to do, currently have the Sonos Beam with a couple of Sonos One (disguised in IKEA Lamps!) as surround.

tempted to get the GX sound bar to properly match the GX, but unsure about connections to an AV Receiver (just ordered one to allow to to easily handle 7-8 HDMI Inputs - expensive HDMI switch but at least it will work properly!)

Is it best to have the SoundBar connected direct to the TV and then from the TV to the AV Receiver? Or do I need to use Optical or...?

iangreasby

Do you have your (or will you have) Arc connected direct to the TV or via an AV Receiver?

I'm in two minds as to what to do, currently have the Sonos Beam with a couple of Sonos One (disguised in IKEA Lamps!) as surround.

tempted to get the GX sound bar to properly match the GX, but unsure about connections to an AV Receiver (just ordered one to allow to to easily handle 7-8 HDMI Inputs - expensive HDMI switch but at least it will work properly!)

Is it best to have the SoundBar connected direct to the TV and then from the TV to the AV Receiver? Or do I need to use Optical or...?
I'm no expert but didn't know it was possible to have a sound bar and an AVR.

safcsat

I'm no expert but didn't know it was possible to have a sound bar and an AVR.
I'm thinking it probably isn't mate!

AVR has just arrived (Marrantz NR1710) seemed to tick all the boxes except HDMI 2.1 (it does have eARC and VRR though) so if I decide to get the Xbox Series X I will just connect that straight to the GX .

Looks like it has 1 HDMI Out, which is the ARC/eARC port - so that would (in my current setup) have to go to the TV, then I guess I would need to connect the AVR to the Sonos Beam (current soundbar) via Optica ( I think I had a convertor in the box)l. That could work.

TBh though I have gone the AVR route on purpose as I know it will then push me to get either a better soundbar (like the GX one) or separate speakers...

If I go with the GX soundbar, it seems to have 2 HDMI, 1 in and 1 out, so that may fit better with an AVR?

iangreasby

AVR has just arrived (Marrantz NR1710) seemed to tick all the boxes except HDMI 2.1 (it does have eARC and VRR though) so if I decide to get the Xbox Series X I will just connect that straight to the GX .

Looks like it has 1 HDMI Out, which is the ARC/eARC port - so that would (in my current setup) have to go to the TV, then I guess I would need to connect the AVR to the Sonos Beam (current soundbar) via Optica ( I think I had a convertor in the box)l. That could work.

TBh though I have gone the AVR route on purpose as I know it will then push me to get either a better soundbar (like the GX one) or separate speakers...

If I go with the GX soundbar, it seems to have 2 HDMI, 1 in and 1 out, so that may fit better with an AVR?
It's way over my head but there are quite a few experts on the AV Receivers and Amplifiers threads who should be able to help. I remember @gibbsy was very helpful when I was upgrading to Atmos last year.

gibbsy

You cannot use a powered soundbar with a receiver as that would be running two processors together. Klipsch do may a three speaker passive soundbar which can be connected to a receiver with three sets of speaker wire as these act as separate speakers.

A set of 5.1 speakers is going to give a better audio presentation than a soundbar because of the positioning you are able to achieve with a wider soundstage at the front.

The Marantz has a single HDMI out which should be connected to the TV. All the other ports on the Marantz, including HDMI and digital are inputs only. You can only output analogue signals from the Marantz to the connected speakers.

safcsat

You cannot use a powered soundbar with a receiver as that would be running two processors together. Klipsch do may a three speaker passive soundbar which can be connected to a receiver with three sets of speaker wire as these act as separate speakers.

A set of 5.1 speakers is going to give a better audio presentation than a soundbar because of the positioning you are able to achieve with a wider soundstage at the front.

The Marantz has a single HDMI out which should be connected to the TV. All the other ports on the Marantz, including HDMI and digital are inputs only. You can only output analogue signals from the Marantz to the connected speakers.
Perfect, thank you! I will look at some speakers now. One issue I would have (maybe not an issue?) is I would not really have anywhere for a centre speaker, as the area the TV is built into, also has a "gap" cut out around the size of a sound bar, so could not really fit a centre speaker. Would that be a big issue, or could two good front side speakers work? Then some rear speakers? Could possibly put speakers in ceiling, but would rather not if there is an alternative?

thanks for your help!

gibbsy

Perfect, thank you! I will look at some speakers now. One issue I would have (maybe not an issue?) is I would not really have anywhere for a centre speaker, as the area the TV is built into, also has a "gap" cut out around the size of a sound bar, so could not really fit a centre speaker. Would that be a big issue, or could two good front side speakers work? Then some rear speakers? Could possibly put speakers in ceiling, but would rather not if there is an alternative?

thanks for your help!
Don't want to take this thread too far off topic. There can be good reasons for not running a centre, sometimes it best not to have a centre at all if the placement of that centre is going to be highly compromised. If the front left and right speakers are not too far apart, say six feet, then you can run a set up as a 4.1 and left the stereo fronts work together to produce a pseudo centre.

Do not have speakers in the ceiling unless they are in the Atmos domain, speakers should be placed at or just above a seated head height. Having ceiling speakers for anything but Atmos produces a rubbish audio.

safcsat

Don't want to take this thread too far off topic. There can be good reasons for not running a centre, sometimes it best not to have a centre at all if the placement of that centre is going to be highly compromised. If the front left and right speakers are not too far apart, say six feet, then you can run a set up as a 4.1 and left the stereo fronts work together to produce a pseudo centre.

Do not have speakers in the ceiling unless they are in the Atmos domain, speakers should be placed at or just above a seated head height. Having ceiling speakers for anything but Atmos produces a rubbish audio.
Fair point - I will pop another thread into the relevant section else this will turn the GX owners thread into what speakers are best! Apologies

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Vincent seems to really like the gx,
my minds made up, will be ordering the 77 gx after its first price drop :love: