LG OLED GX Owners and Discussion Thread

IanG153

Novice Member
LG's response to my email query to them:

Thank you for reaching out to us about your LG OLED77GXPUA Television and I look forward to assisting you with your inquiry today.

I am pleased to inform you that your preferred TV installation method will not affect the TV's sound performance. Please be advised that the speakers are positioned to be facing downward under the TV's panel and are considered to be down firing.

I hope this information has been helpful in addressing your inquiry. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you for choosing LG!

Sincerely,
Sandra

InfinitePrime

Standard Member
Hi everyone

I've recently taken delivery of a 65" GX from John Lewis to replace a 55" E7. It's currently sat in the box awaiting installation pending the completion of a garage conversion.

I'm a keen gamer and went for the GX due to features such as HDMI 2.1 and VRR. I've subsequently become aware of the issues around raised black levels and screen flicker when VRR is enabled at 120Hz. I understand that a software update was released to help mitigate the black levels (although I understand that this is a hardware issue that cannot be fully addressed), but can't seem to find much information as to whether the flicker has now been addressed or, if not, how likely this is to spoil my overall experience.

Once I notice things like this, I tend not to be able to ignore them, so wanted to understand if the issues were serious enough for me to reconsider my purchase entirely, or whether they are either sorted or generally non-issues. I'd appreciate any honest feedback that can be provided so that I can make an informed decision.

Rickc

Hi everyone

I've recently taken delivery of a 65" GX from John Lewis to replace a 55" E7. It's currently sat in the box awaiting installation pending the completion of a garage conversion.

I'm a keen gamer and went for the GX due to features such as HDMI 2.1 and VRR. I've subsequently become aware of the issues around raised black levels and screen flicker when VRR is enabled at 120Hz. I understand that a software update was released to help mitigate the black levels (although I understand that this is a hardware issue that cannot be fully addressed), but can't seem to find much information as to whether the flicker has now been addressed or, if not, how likely this is to spoil my overall experience.

Once I notice things like this, I tend not to be able to ignore them, so wanted to understand if the issues were serious enough for me to reconsider my purchase entirely, or whether they are either sorted or generally non-issues. I'd appreciate any honest feedback that can be provided so that I can make an informed decision.

Hi, I also have a 65gx and I game on an Xbox series x at 120hz. I’ve not noticed any flicker at all and I’m quite fussy when it comes to picture quality

Crossski

Standard Member
Hi there,

If you're thinking about a completely flush presentation for your GX, with no wires to be shown, I can tell you it's a massive hassle.

IMG_20210328_135258.jpg

I have three HDMI cables going upstairs into the games room where it connects to two consoles and a PC. The idea is a seamless floating TV that is connected to everything with zero clutter.

Getting there. Progress is painfully slow. Still thinking it will be worth it.

SimonsPlasma

Hi there,

If you're thinking about a completely flush presentation for your GX, with no wires to be shown, I can tell you it's a massive hassle.

View attachment 1484904

I have three HDMI cables going upstairs into the games room where it connects to two consoles and a PC. The idea is a seamless floating TV that is connected to everything with zero clutter.

that's a very thorough job indeed, designed specifically for this TV. For me, I had a channel going up the wall, where the cables came out for my previous TV -- I had to move it about 10cm so that it was flush with the recess of the GX and from there I could feed the cables in the recess rather than in the wall, with a flush fitting result...

Rickc

that's a very thorough job indeed, designed specifically for this TV. For me, I had a channel going up the wall, where the cables came out for my previous TV -- I had to move it about 10cm so that it was flush with the recess of the GX and from there I could feed the cables in the recess rather than in the wall, with a flush fitting result...
Fortunately mine was a lot more straight forward. I cut out two holes in the plasterboard one behind the tv and the other below the tv unit and dropped the wire through.

Attachments

• 29FB7558-9BB6-47BA-AABE-F6EE6279A3B4.png
    29FB7558-9BB6-47BA-AABE-F6EE6279A3B4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 58

IanG153

Novice Member
Hi there,

View attachment 1484904

Fortunately mine was a lot more straight forward. I cut out two holes in the plasterboard one behind the tv and the other below the tv unit and dropped the wire through.

I was fortunate that we had a 6" deep insert into which we had mounted a 65" E6. I left the insert open, extended the center studs from the back of the insert to be flush with the outside wall, and mounted the 77" GX which is flush with the wall now...
IMG_4684.jpg
IMG_4707.jpg

chenks

is it just me or is the TV not 100% centred between the 2 speakers?
looks like it's a little closer to the left speaker?

Looks like it "grew there" Nice work Ian ;)

EDIT: The jug has moved position. And where's the little dog thingy gone?

IanG153

Novice Member
is it just me or is the TV not 100% centred between the 2 speakers?
looks like it's a little closer to the left speaker?
Good eye, but it's mostly the camera - it's about 1/4" closer to the left (10" vs 9-3/4") - centered below the vaulted ceiling beams and above the built-in cabinets - I remember trying to center the side speakers precisely, but there were stud issues - so the 77 is a compromise center among all of the built-ins - trying not to let my OCD get the best of me :)

Looks like it "grew there" Nice work Ian ;)

EDIT: The jug has moved position. And where's the little dog thingy gone?
Thanks! I forgot to put the dog thingy back - it's back now :)

Last edited:

Kido1986

Novice Member
Has anyone mounted the GX without the included plate/bracket? I ran into a KILLER deal on an open box 65GX with virtually no use on it but it's missing all the mounting hardware. It looks like the back has a standard VESA mount pattern but I wasn't 100% sure that it is. I don't care if it's not super flush, I'm going to put it on an ECHOGEAR Full Motion TV Wall Mount (EGLF2) and have it pull out a little bit (before anyone asks why I didn't go for a CX then, I found this for less than the cheapest 65CX I've seen anywhere).

Can I mount the TV directly to a VESA-mounting arm?

ozthegweat

Yes it's VESA 300x300. But try to get the original wall mount, it really is something else when mounted gap-less, especially on the 65" model which is the thinnest of the three sizes.

IanG153

Novice Member
On my E6 I had an HDMI 1 input bar along the bottom in the menu bar - I can't seem to find/get this on my GX - only "recents" which doesn't often give HDMI1 - am I missing how to add this to the menu bar? Thanks!

Crossski

Standard Member
Hi there,

View attachment 1484904

Update: It was a really painful job, and required a huge amount of patience and commitment, but totally worth it. This TV is connected to a PC, PS5 and Xbox, all located in the room upstairs.

I'm absolutely delighted.

IMG_20210404_160410.jpg

InstructorUK

I am receiving my OLED 77GX today to replace a 65E6P - I will install it over a cut-out in the wall that housed the 65E6 - the cut-out is 60 x 37 x 6 inches deep. I will extend the mount so the 77" will be flush with the wall outside the cut-out. I want to know if I need to put drywall over the cutout to improve the sound of the 77GX in any way, or if I can just leave the cut-out open behind the 77GX - only concerned about any effect on the sound of the 77GX of the 6 inch deep cut-out in the wall behind it. Thank you
Just got myself a fantastic deal on the 65GX which arrives next week. Can't wait for it to arrive.

I've read through this thread but may bombard you all with speaker setups as I am thinking of trying to use the built in WiSa feature to add a sub and rear to the standard TV sound (more on that later)

I have a similar recess where my old 46" Panasonic plasma sits and the 65GX will completely cover the recess making it nice and flush. I even plan on using the same heavy duty cantilever wall mount that's already there and using the VESA mount holes. (I literally hung off the bracket when fitted to test the strength.) There will be plenty of space to run all the cable behind and down to my media.

This is the recess my Plasma sits in now with cable routing down the false wall.
IMG_0368.JPG

IanG153

Novice Member
Just got myself a fantastic deal on the 65GX which arrives next week. Can't wait for it to arrive.

I've read through this thread but may bombard you all with speaker setups as I am thinking of trying to use the built in WiSa feature to add a sub and rear to the standard TV sound (more on that later)

I have a similar recess where my old 46" Panasonic plasma sits and the 65GX will completely cover the recess making it nice and flush. I even plan on using the same heavy duty cantilever wall mount that's already there and using the VESA mount holes. (I literally hung off the bracket when fitted to test the strength.) There will be plenty of space to run all the cable behind and down to my media.

This is the recess my Plasma sits in now with cable routing down the false wall.
View attachment 1490685

That looks great - if it were me, I'd extend your mount out, within the opening, maybe with some 2 x 4's so that it's roughly flush with the outside wall - but it looks like it'll work well!

DradleyBack

Quick question to any GX / Sonos Arc owners.
Have any of you had any Dolby Atmos / Dolby Digital lip-sync issues from True HD / DD+ Sources.

My 65 GX is currently sat in the hallway still boxed up waiting for ourgarage conversion to be finished at the end of the month so haven't been able to test.

I did have a Samsung 65Q95T which was returned as the lip-sync was a real problem can any one confirm how the GX behaves with with the Sonos ARC when routing Atmos via the TV via eARC?

I could get a HD Fury Arcana but would prefer not after blowing all my cash on the TV.

SimonsPlasma

Update after a couple of weeks: it seems to me that this screen is quite a bit worse than my old CX :-\ The CX didn't look great when running a test, there were visible marks, but none of them were really visible during day to day viewing. On this, well I've not run a 5% gray test yet but you can see visible artefacts on the top half of the screen, especially during transitions when watching films. It's distracting and irritating and I'm somewhat disappointed :-(

I guess the question now is, do I just get John Lewis to swap it out for another identical one, or do I pay a few hundred pounds more and order a G1?

ozthegweat

After two weeks with the GX 77", I (with the help of 4 beers) mustered up the courage to run a banding test video this evening. The panel looks near perfect. I can make out some very slight non-uniformity with 1% black in complete darkness. With 5% it's basically imperceptible. And we always have some ambient light on when using the TV anyway.

So I'm very very happy with the purchase! :clap:

SimonsPlasma

This is what I have. It also shows up visibly when watching films. Opinions welcome.

Attachments

• F8675980-1EE6-46E1-A888-E82418C0117B.jpeg
    F8675980-1EE6-46E1-A888-E82418C0117B.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 31

Zworba

Novice Member
Hey guys/girls I’m having a difficult time setting up the universal remote, and suddenly I understood why (I think).
So I have all devices (PS5, TOP box Proximus, Raspberry Pi 4) connected to my Denon Receiver AVR-S750H. Then a super speed ethernet HDMI to the television with ACR.

When I tried setting up the remote I thought it was going to be as easy as selecting the correct output on my Denon and then configuring the remote. After configuring the Denon Universal remote on the LG, I tried configuring the TOPbox and then I understood it requires me to connect all HDMI’s directly to the television.

Ideally there’s one cable going to the television and everything gets sorted out through magical protocols but since it’s not working I‘m asking you if I really have to change my setup or if there some sort of protocol I need to enable for this to work.

Obviously the more HDMI’s I cram up behind that television the harder it is to get it fixed to the wall.

How would you guys do the setup?

Second question, would there be any benefit in connecting a chromecast? This is my first “real” smart TV and I thought the Chromecast would benefit me as well but it looks like the TV supports pretty much everything I need out of the box. Do some of you still use a Chromecast?

Thanks for reading this long post :)

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021