LG OLED GX Owners and Discussion Thread

Mark0409mr01

I have a C9 and whilst I appreciate not the same model they are similar. I use Ubiquiti gear and intermittently get the same message popup when I first turn on and try and open the YouTube App. My C9 is hardwired via a 8 port switch back to my main 24 port switch which in turn in connected to my FTTP Modem which in turn is connected to BT 900Mbps service. If I was to guess it's like the TV's internal network interface isn't quick enough to react.

steveoelliott

Standard Member
If it persists, I will try using the wireless interface... Not a major issue really but on my old Samsung the wireless was flaky and hence I went to hard wired even though only 100Mbps!

A while ago I had to actually power cycle the TV to get anything to work besides the connection seemingly being OK. Guess the NIC's used in these TV's aren't the best.

Mark0409mr01

Given how reliant modern TV's are on network connected services it never ceases to surprise me how bad the included network hardware is. Would it really cost that much much to include a gigabit ethernet port and wifi6?

chenks

Given how reliant modern TV's are on network connected services it never ceases to surprise me how bad the included network hardware is. Would it really cost that much much to include a gigabit ethernet port and wifi6?

the port? no not much cost.
the underlying hardware required to make them work at those speeds - a bit more cost.

considering pretty much every streaming site won't peak over 30Mbps they probably think why bother.

SeeMoreDigital

Does the GX upscale HD to UHD ?
All 4K UHD televisions are able to up-scale HD and even SD video images to fully fit a 4K UHD screen...

Fontie

I sort of thought this might be a grey area, so I'm mounting mine myself. After mounting my last few, I have ultimate confidence in these fixings for thru plasterboard to an outside wall.

You can be sure they wouldn't turn up with what I want, so I'm just going to crack on (with the help of my father (bubble safe) for muscle when required).

Did you use M6 or M8

Edit
Ordered M8 hope that right.

Last edited:

jackal385

The latest public firmware is 03.21.16. Mine hasn't updated either yet. If you want to it is possible to download the firmware to a USB from the LG site and install from that. I'm just going to wait until it gets pushed to my TV though.
Just got an update this morning, 03.21.16, no idea what it does yet.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Does the GX upscale HD to UHD ?
If you mean “can it transform an SD picture to be UHD quality” (inc HDR), then the answer is no. As previously stated, all SD and HD images are upscale to correctly display on a 4K screen.

5to1

Noticed RS have the 65" down to £2099, so am considering this TV. But how have you guys handled the cable management behind the TV.

I have a couple of issues:

1) Cables come out of the wall near the top of the TV. I could resolve this by channeling them in the wall, it will be hidden by the TV anyway. IT appears there arent any channel runs from the top of the TV?

2) Is the power lead bare, or the plug removable? I currently have a socket next to where the AV cables come out, but can switch that to a fused plate and wire the power lead in.

3) My HDMI cable broke, so I'm using a HDBT 4K extender. This is going to be my biggest issue, as I'm pretty sure this wont fit behind the TV. I can't stick it into the wall as it has vents so must need some airflow. Easiest option would be not to have the TV sitting on the wall and give it some clearance. Is this possible with the included wall mount? Other option is to bit the bullet and run a new cable. But i'd have to make good on the wall, as the TV wouldn't hide all the run.

4) I use an Amazon fire stick. At the moment thats not a major issue, as I can just use the onboard OS. But I dont trust TV manufacturers to stay on top of their OS, they have a habit of dropping legacy users. I guess I could just stick the FireStick in the comms cupboard with the other AV kit worst case, as long as I run the new cable (3).

How good is the onboard sound?

My AV amp broke but I grabbed the 65FZ952 at the time on the Costco deal. So ended up using the sound bar that came with it. I dont really want to go back to full 5.1 setup due to aesthetic reasons now and I need a slim AMP to fit in the Comms cupboard which are expensive with limited options. So the GX is in the options due to better sound, other option is HZ1500, but I wouldnt mind the flush aesthetics of the GX for similar money. Or ofcourse the HZ1000 or CX and just buy a sound bar.

Problem I have is my 65FZ952 has been written off by Costco (faint horizontal line through screen). Due to lock down they've given me some time to send it back. But the clock is ticking so I have to find a replacement. Normally I'd be quite happy about getting my money back, but I got it for £1199 on a warehouse opening deal, so unfortunately I'm going to have to add several hundred pounds :(

5to1

Also, for anyone thats gone from Panasonic to LG, how close are the preset picture modes?

I predominantly watch in Pro 2 on the Panasonic. Do any of the LG picture modes produce a similar picture?

Thanks in advance for any help/pointers. If I have to add several hundred pounds, I don't want to regret it later :(

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I'm looking at picking up the 55 or 65 soon...I'm assuming most in here are still really happy with their sets?

I'd be using a Sonos Beam and may plug in the Amazon Firestick as I quite like having the same setup on all of our TV's.

Any known issues with the above?

PDogg

Standard Member
Hi guys finally decided to take my 65gx out of the box. Hoping you can give some tips. The bit in blue is where the stud behind the plasterboard is, so do I need to use the red plugs that came with the mount? Can I just use 2 of the long screws that came with the mount for the blue bit where the stud is and use plasterboard anchors/wall plugs with smaller screws for the other 6 as I don't think there is more wood behind the rest of the wall.

Attachments

• IMG-20210119-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20210119-WA0016.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 38

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Hi guys finally decided to take my 65gx out of the box. Hoping you can give some tips. The bit in blue is where the stud behind the plasterboard is, so do I need to use the red plugs that came with the mount? Can I just use 2 of the long screws that came with the mount for the blue bit where the stud is and use plasterboard anchors/wall plugs with smaller screws for the other 6 as I don't think there is more wood behind the rest of the wall.
Is it through to an outside wall where you won't locate in stud?

PDogg

Standard Member
Is it through to an outside wall where you won't locate in stud?

Its an internal wall, so its plasterboard, stud frame behind and then breeze block wall with the garage on the other side. My old TV mount went straight into the breeze block wall after i cut out a piece of plaster, but that wall had enclaves so got it all taken out and made flush ready for the GX. I did make the guy put a little square hole in for the wires, but i think its way too high up for the gx so i might have to patch and paint and cut another square hole towards the bottom.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Its an internal wall, so its plasterboard, stud frame behind and then breeze block wall with the garage on the other side. My old TV mount went straight into the breeze block wall after i cut out a piece of plaster, but that wall had enclaves so got it all taken out and made flush ready for the GX. I did make the guy put a little square hole in for the wires, but i think its way too high up for the gx so i might have to patch and paint and cut another square hole towards the bottom.
Ok, same as me. I used Rigifix m6 anchors. Have for all installations the past few years. They’re excellent and hold firm without need for stud if that’s necessary.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett