LG OLED GX Owners and Discussion Thread

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Combination of the two. A 77'' panel is sadly big and broadcast material is low bitrate.. so always going to compromise on PQ.
I think this is right. Sony probably on reflection handled this stuff better but there were compromises in other aspects with the Sony.

As they say, there is no perfect TV,

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I think this is right. Sony probably on reflection handled this stuff better but there were compromises in other aspects with the Sony.

Exactly. There has sadly never been a perfect TV. Just the best TV for our needs today.

Even next year, god knows how Panasonic and Sony will integrate HDMI 2.1, if it will be on all the ports, if it will support Freesync/Gsync etc. etc.

sprinta

I think I'm tooate for all the posters on the previous page but yeah the template is a bit fudgeed... Which nearly cost me my wall.

I *assumed* the top of the template was meant to be the top of the TV, 65gx here, but it isn't.

I *think* the mid point of the template is the midpoint of the TV when you mount it. But the top will be out.

This happens to matter a lot when you need to get the bottom of the screen exactly right so that the cable access hole in the wall is low enough to get the power cable but not so low it sticks out below the TV.

I puzzled at it for ages and ended up measuring everything from the bracket itself and the TV mounts.

I was also hindered by different bits of manual and instructions quoting slightly different sizes for the TV.

The online videos make it worse because they imply that you measure to the top of where you want the TV and then stick the template there, but Don't do that!

The template, I believe, is for all 3 sizes of the GX, 55", 65" & 77", is it not a question of selecting the correct perimeter outline for your size tv that may be the problem?

Spy

I am considering an LG 65" GX but would like to know the positioning of the VESA screw holes.

I have an existing wall mount and don't want to move it or replace it so need to see where the holes are positioned to determine where the TV will be positioned once mounted.

To that end, can you tell me, how far are the lower set of VESA holes from the bottom edge of the TV ?

Also, I assume the holes are centred on the horizontal i.e. the distance of the left hole from the left edge is the same as the distance from the right hole to the right edge.

I would be grateful if someone could spare a few minutes the distance between the bottom of their 65" GX and the lower wall mount VESA holes, the ones for a third party wall mount, not the LG included one.

Thanks

Pookgai

Standard Member
Bit of a longshot but has anyone used an installer in the London area that they would recommend? Have a 65 gx and a Spectral Ameno floating cabinet to get up on the wall. Ideally looking for someone that’s installed an LG GX before.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated 😁

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
So panel has settled down for sure, uniformity wise it is nigh on perfect.

It isn’t handling streaming as well as I would have hoped and if I’m honest, no better, if not worse than my C8.

A lot of posterisation/artefacts/macroblocking/mosquito noise in background, particularly with near black. It’s not as frequent in Netflix stuff, but Sky Q stuff is regularly there and I’m afraid that didn’t happen with the 77AG9 nor 65 HZ2000.

I am going to give it a week, see how much it bothers me, but I had hoped LG had improved this aspect of their processing.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Well, so far, for me, the panel is performing superbly - but - I've the devil on my shoulder with regards the lack of VRR working correctly, or seemingly ever being able to work correctly with gamma shift at 120hz...

I bought this to see me through next gen gaming, and with VRR @120 seemingly broken, that's sort of a big deal for me.

ktman

Youve been spoilt by the AG9 and the HZ2000 but you returned to the dark side ?

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
The template, I believe, is for all 3 sizes of the GX, 55", 65" & 77", is it not a question of selecting the correct perimeter outline for your size tv that may be the problem?
The problem I found with the template was that the measurement from the top of the 77GX outline (can't comment for the other sizes), and subsequently the mounting aperture to the "centre point" of the TV was out by 1 inch.
I needed the bottom of my TV to be at an appropriate level for the sound bar. If I had have trusted the template, the bottom of the TV would have been below the top of the Arc.
Why they don't just give you a full size template is beyond me, when you're paying that much for a panel.
Anyhow, I think it turned out ok. Doesn't quite sit flat to the wall on the left edge, but I can't straighten the plasterboard, yet... Excuse the kids / CCBC.
IMG_4360.JPEG
IMG_4356.JPEG
IMG_4357.JPEG
IMG_4359.JPEG
IMG_4361.JPEG

ChemistDude

Sonos Arc
Haha thats the exact one I've been watching videos about all day. Don't leave me hanging mate! How do they sound? Is it as good as the reviews imply? Any lip sync issues with any devices connected to HDMI passing through over eARC? In one review a chap mentioned lip sync issues with Sky

I like the idea that I can gradually add parts (rears and sub) as finances permit and sneak them in when the Mrs isn't looking :rotfl:

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Haha thats the exact one I've been watching videos about all day. Don't leave me hanging mate! How do they sound? Is it as good as the reviews imply? Any lip sync issues with any devices connected to HDMI passing through over eARC? In one review a chap mentioned lip sync issues with Sky

I like the idea that I can gradually add parts (rears and sub) as finances permit and sneak them in when the Mrs isn't looking :rotfl:
It sounds exceptional... the bar is pretty punchy alone, but the sub gives the whole thing some real depth. I actually bought the one SL’s for kitchen / bedroom, but had a test of them as rear surrounds on Tuesday, and that’s where they’ve stayed as they just complete it... it’s very special. 2 more Ones due tomorrow.

With that lot, plus the 77GX and a PS5, it’s been a very expensive month.

I’ve only had the PS4 Pro connected via HDMI (for what sky I watch it’s on the PS App on a family log in) but I’ve had no sync issues with that, nor movies streamed from the NAS.

ChemistDude

It sounds exceptional... the bar is pretty punchy alone, but the sub gives the whole thing some real depth. I actually bought the one SL’s for kitchen / bedroom, but had a test of them as rear surrounds on Tuesday, and that’s where they’ve stayed as they just complete it... it’s very special. 2 more Ones due tomorrow.

With that lot, plus the 77GX and a PS5, it’s been a very expensive month.

I’ve only had the PS4 Pro connected via HDMI (for what sky I watch it’s on the PS App on a family log in) but I’ve had no sync issues with that, nor movies streamed from the NAS.
Thanks so much for that! Can I just say what a fine set up you have - looks amazing. I’m slightly jealous you got away with the 77”. I feel our lounge is a similar size to your, Mrs wanted a 55” but I wouldn’t settle for less than 65” seeing as I compromised last year when we got a 55” AF9 for the kitchen. She didn’t talk to me for the rest of the evening when I wouldn’t back down from 65” for the lounge....I wonder how she would have been had I said 77”! Looks the perfect size for your lounge I must say :lesson:

I think with everything I’ve watched and read, a Sonos Arc is coming to my home soon. Though I’ll have to wait a few months to buy and sneak a sub in.

Last edited:

steveoelliott

Standard Member
Well...

John Lewis arrived today to install the TV but advised they weren't able to as their stud finder detected a cable in the wall, meaning they would only be able to mount on 6 bolts instead of 8. Personally, I think 6 bolts in a sold brick / external wall would be sufficient but obviously they have their rules...

I'm in touch with customer services as I specifically asked to be contacted in advance / requested a senior engineer as I envisaged some potential issues.

They left the TV here and my electrician will install for me, hopefully next week.

confusion

Banned
Well...

John Lewis arrived today to install the TV but advised they weren't able to as their stud finder detected a cable in the wall, meaning they would only be able to mount on 6 bolts instead of 8. Personally, I think 6 bolts in a sold brick / external wall would be sufficient but obviously they have their rules...

I'm in touch with customer services as I specifically asked to be contacted in advance / requested a senior engineer as I envisaged some potential issues.

They left the TV here and my electrician will install for me, hopefully next week.

Why aren't you just doing it yourself?

Spy

Well...

If you have the TV there, I would be grateful if you could spare a few minutes and measure the distance between the bottom of the TV and the lower wall mount VESA holes, the ones for a third party wall mount, not the LG included one.

steveoelliott

Standard Member
If you have the TV there, I would be grateful if you could spare a few minutes and measure the distance between the bottom of the TV and the lower wall mount VESA holes, the ones for a third party wall mount, not the LG included one.
When it comes out of the box to be installed, I'll do that. This is 65" so not sure if that's useful. There are mechanical drawings here too https://www.lg.com/us/PDF/Gallery_Series_Mechanical_Drawings_v4.pdf

Spy

When it comes out of the box to be installed, I'll do that. This is 65" so not sure if that's useful. There are mechanical drawings here too https://www.lg.com/us/PDF/Gallery_Series_Mechanical_Drawings_v4.pdf

Thanks Steve. Yes, it is the 65" I am interested in. Normally I would have gone to Currys and measured it myself but with Lockdown in England, that's not possible 🙄

I looked at the diagrams but they don't seem to clearly show or measure the distance to the VESA mounting holes. It appears more related to the LG supplied mount

Rambo

I’ve owned this tv coming up to 4 week now. I can’t believe it’s dropped by a £1000 since I bought it. It dropped by £500 when I placed the order. ☹️
Thought no way will it drop for Black Friday. Lesson learned. Thought it was only crap televisions sold by Tesco that had decent drops in prices.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
I’ve owned this tv coming up to 4 week now. I can’t believe it’s dropped by a £1000 since I bought it. It dropped by £500 when I placed the order. ☹
Thought no way will it drop for Black Friday. Lesson learned. Thought it was only crap televisions sold by Tesco that had decent drops in prices.
Where did you buy it from? Didn’t you get somewhere that price matches? Go back and tell them.

belorpheus

Novice Member
Hi All!

I am new to this forum and would like to share my experience with the GX.
I had a curved Samsung (55 inch), which had some system issues and I looked to the market.
I was close to buying the 65Q95T, but the shop put the LG OLED65GX next to it, which made it easy for me to switch.

So for one week, the 65GX is hanging in my living room. I am planning to connect it to a Sonos Arc, but that device is not delivered yet. Does anyone have experience with GX and Sonos Arc? Is there something special to configure?

The screen looks so great, but with all the cables in the back (Satelite cable, 2x HDMI, power cable), I cannot push the screen much to the wall. It hangs there 2-3cm away from the wall.

One topic I would like to mention here as this is one that drives me crazy.

There is a voice recognition by default enabled. Now when watching TV or a movie, the TV catches some words, kicks up the voice recognition and interrupts the movie or TV show. Same with, when I ask my Amazon Alexa something. The TV hears the “Alexa” word and starts the Alexa setup, which I do not want.

Question: How can I disable Voice Recognition and Alexa?

Bye,

Alexander

**mick**

Standard Member
I am considering an LG 65" GX but would like to know the positioning of the VESA screw holes.

I have an existing wall mount and don't want to move it or replace it so need to see where the holes are positioned to determine where the TV will be positioned once mounted.

To that end, can you tell me, how far are the lower set of VESA holes from the bottom edge of the TV ?

Also, I assume the holes are centred on the horizontal i.e. the distance of the left hole from the left edge is the same as the distance from the right hole to the right edge.
I have the GX65 mounted on my previous TV wall mount and can confirm from the bottom of the TV to the bottom VESA hole is 210mm’ish although it’ll be closer to 215mm as there’s a 3-4mm lip at the front of the TV. And yes the holes are the same distance in from either side.

Attachments

• E06AD4C9-40D8-40B1-8C81-EFF08F5EE8BC.jpeg
    E06AD4C9-40D8-40B1-8C81-EFF08F5EE8BC.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 90

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Latest News

Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett