LG OLED GX Owners and Discussion Thread

Canary_Jules

A little update post calibration with the masterful help of @Canary_Jules

I understood the premise on which the benefits of calibration stand in principle prior to his visit yesterday, but it was great to get a much wider perspective on the matter.

Unit variation is very much a thing that renders calibration at the factory less potent a tool. I am really happy that I am now able to stop tinkering with all of the picture settings available, while getting a more realistic image across the different playback modes.

A job truly well done, it was very interesting to learn more about what makes TVs tick the way they do and what some of the intricate variables are that affect picture quality. Such a great chap too!

I love my 65" GX even more now.
Highly recommended!
That's really great to hear Nick. It was a pleasure spending time with you - calibrating, chatting about calibration, and waxing lyrical about the genius that is Hristo Stoichkov! :)

BazzyBT

Standard Member
They should all support Dolby Vision.
I got to the bottom of it, turns out if AMD freesync is enabled it stops Dolby vision from working on the port it’s enabled on. Not sure if that is how it’s meant to work or if this is a bug that LG needs to address.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
I got to the bottom of it, turns out if AMD freesync is enabled it stops Dolby vision from working on the port it’s enabled on. Not sure if that is how it’s meant to work or if this is a bug that LG needs to address.
Thats not a bug, AMD freesync does not support Dolby Vision, so if it's enabled on a port you won't get DV.
So for someone that games and watches movies on say xbox, they would need to disable freesync when they watch a movie.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
FOMO video on youtube.. Says 77" GX is the only oled on the 2020 range that has freesync premium pro, only other tv that does it is a 86" LG nano lcd 🤮

Opideegs

Standard Member
Thats not a bug, AMD freesync does not support Dolby Vision, so if it's enabled on a port you won't get DV.
So for someone that games and watches movies on say xbox, they would need to disable freesync when they watch a movie.
I wish I would’ve read this this morning before I reset everything on the television I use a pioneer elite 801 receiver to run everything to my new GX
last night before I went to bed I was playing some games with free sync enabled this morning when I tried to watch Apple TV through the same port nothing I did would give me Dolby Vision so I wound up resetting The television now I have to redo everything
Little did I know all is I needed to do was disable freesync
thank you very much for this information

Opideegs

Standard Member
ARC Worked beautifully yesterday All of the internal apps past sound
I did a reset on the television today now no matter what setting I can’t get it to work
sclx801 with a 65gx
any tips would be greatly appreciated

jmacc

Distinguished Member
I did a reset on the television today now no matter what setting I can’t get it to work
sclx801 with a 65gx
enabled hdmi cec? LG call it SIMPLINK
could also try the CX thread as busier than here.. same operating system on both.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
sclx801 with a 65gx
I use a Denon AVR. My TV settings are Sound -> HDMI ARC. And everything works flawessly. What're your settings?

dante01

Distinguished Member
sclx801 with a 65gx

If you've been messing with the ARC and HDMI configurations then it is usually a good idea to power down both the TV and your AV receiver into standby and then power them up again. This will establish a new HDMI handshake between the devices that should take any HDMI changes you've previously made into consideration. I not expect changes you've made to always take effect without such a reboot.

HDMI ARC can be tempramental, mainly due to its dependance upon HDMI CEC (HDMI Control and termed SimpLink by LG) and the fact that so many TV manufacturers bastardise CEC and stray away from the suggested way in which it is intended to be implimented. LG TVs aren't ordinarilly that bad in this respect though and usually work with most AV receivers or soundbars when using ARC.

One common denominator associated with poor ARC connections is the HDMI cable between the TV and the sound device. Less reliable cables exhibit gtreater proclivity to not fasciliyate ARC. More reliable cables are less likely to exhibit issues associated with ARC. IN many instances, simply replacing the HDMI cable can rectify issues with not being able to access audio via ARC.

Opideegs

Standard Member
If you've been messing with the ARC and HDMI configurations then it is usually a good idea to power down both the TV and your AV receiver into standby and then power them up again. This will establish a new HDMI handshake between the devices that should take any HDMI changes you've previously made into consideration. I not expect changes you've made to always take effect without such a reboot.

HDMI ARC can be tempramental, mainly due to its dependance upon HDMI CEC (HDMI Control and termed SimpLink by LG) and the fact that so many TV manufacturers bastardise CEC and stray away from the suggested way in which it is intended to be implimented. LG TVs aren't ordinarilly that bad in this respect though and usually work with most AV receivers or soundbars when using ARC.

One common denominator associated with poor ARC connections is the HDMI cable between the TV and the sound device. Less reliable cables exhibit gtreater proclivity to not fasciliyate ARC. More reliable cables are less likely to exhibit issues associated with ARC. IN many instances, simply replacing the HDMI cable can rectify issues with not being able to access audio via ARC.
I reset the television once again now I got everything to work
hopefully I will just leave everything alone
thanks
The only benefit to resetting the television twice today is I am becoming an expert on logging in to the apps

dante01

Distinguished Member
Just rebooting the TV and or the sound device would or should ordinarily suffice unless you've actually changed one or more of the settings that fascilitate the ARC finction?

Opideegs

Standard Member
The lg 65GX is really incredible. I just needed to make that statement
i’ve recently upgraded from a 65B6
I see some people on the forums talking about vertical banding
I had small banding issues with the B6 with no Image retention
even with some test images the new gx panel looks perfect

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
The lg 65GX is really incredible. I just needed to make that statement
i’ve recently upgraded from a 65B6
I see some people on the forums talking about vertical banding
I had small banding issues with the B6 with no Image retention
even with some test images the new gx panel looks perfect
Banding with 77, not 65, seems to be the issue.

As far as I know, for the smaller sizes of 65 and 55 uniformity has improved across the board.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Banding with 77, not 65, seems to be the issue.

As far as I know, for the smaller sizes of 65 and 55 uniformity has improved across the board.
Yes 77 is the major issue but tbh every 65" 2020 oled panel from any manufacturer looks worse uniformity in general than the previous year c9, and even most c8's, ag9 etc..
most reviewers also mention this in the form of black blobs on left side of screen and dark patch bottom right.

wethogs

Novice Member
Hi:
I currently have a Panasonic Plasma. The screen surface is shiny. The TV is mounted on a wall that is opposite a bay window. Does GX have more of a matt screen so light sources are not reflected back to the person watching the TV?

safcsat

Hi:
I currently have a Panasonic Plasma. The screen surface is shiny. The TV is mounted on a wall that is opposite a bay window. Does GX have more of a matt screen so light sources are not reflected back to the person watching the TV?
Quite a reflective screen on the GX I would say. we just come the curtains if the sun is really bright. Normal light is ok, but bright sunshine kills it so we close curtains.