LG OLED G1 Evo Owners and Discussion Thread

Yep. New Apple TV with 2x HomePod and eArc on. All the eArc settings are what you said earlier with Passthrough and the Series X will not pass through Atmos unless it’s set to Auto instead of Passthrough. Thanks for doing this. I’ve been asking on Reddit and don’t get much of a response. Hope you don’t mind
Sad news, I cannot since I have the Sonos Arc plugged in and i would need to take the TV off the wall to switch HDMI ports around. Sorry man

You know what I just realized, since it’s in Beta maybe it doesn’t pass Atmos from external sources at the moment.
I had a feeling it may be that. Just seems weird it works on the Xbox when I set the digital output on the TV to Atmos. Makes me wonder what the tv is doing with it. I don’t have any other products that support Atmos otherwise I could try that. Strangely though the LG native apps all show Atmos and seem to play in it.

It must be to do with the LUT of the G1 being replaced, when you autocal it, normal calibration won't suffice, so either get an irite and Calman for LG software (around £350 if you go new) or pay similar for a one off pro calibration.....I'd urge you to go the DIY route (it's easy) as you can redo calibrations down the line, and keep the hardware.
I did it last night quickly in HDR game mode and am impressed with the results. Not perfect, probably missing a trick but very pleased. Best of all the colour temp looks significantly better than before.

Got some odd grey scale performance in places where luminance tracks until 70% of peak luminance but I guess this is expected unless I choose to let HDR highlights hard clip above peak luminance in the tone mapping?

Attachments

• HDR_Game_Mode.JPG
    HDR_Game_Mode.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 196
I did it last night quickly in HDR game mode and am impressed with the results. Not perfect, probably missing a trick but very pleased. Best of all the colour temp looks significantly better than before.

Got some odd grey scale performance in places where luminance tracks until 70% of peak luminance but I guess this is expected unless I choose to let HDR highlights hard clip above peak luminance in the tone mapping?

Yeah I mean you can toy with that, it's a balance at the end of the day, detail vs clipping.

How did you find HGiG? I'm hoping unlocked now.....

@BRAKKUS1

Please can you forward to Bild aka Picture comparison timestamp, check the video and let me know if the shadows look super crushed on the G1.

I only use these videos as a guidance but every video comparing C1lG1 is showing crushed shadows.

When I did it calibrated with pc mode off there was a difference between HGIG and DTM off. With the calibrated HDR game mode with HGIG on there is not a difference as far as I can tell.

But the image is very pleasing, colour looks accurate and the HDR pop is brilliant. Case in point is Watch Dogs Legion in HDR on pc at night in the rain with ray tracing ultra in Piccadilly Circus. Absolutely wonderful.

@BRAKKUS1

Please can you forward to Bild aka Picture comparison timestamp, check the video and let me know if the shadows look super crushed on the G1.

I only use these videos as a guidance but every video comparing C1lG1 is showing crushed shadows.

The C1 and G1 are crushed out of the box, it can be dialled out in SDR with a few 20 point tweaks, but for HDR and DV, you'll need to get it calibrated. SDR does seem worse though.

When I did it calibrated with pc mode off there was a difference between HGIG and DTM off. With the calibrated HDR game mode with HGIG on there is not a difference as far as I can tell.

But the image is very pleasing, colour looks accurate and the HDR pop is brilliant. Case in point is Watch Dogs Legion in HDR on pc at night in the rain with ray tracing ultra in Piccadilly Circus. Absolutely wonderful.

Oh awesome, I can't remember how I had tone mapping set when i calibrated it now, but that's great you have it working in PC mode, cause that's the mode you'll always want it on for gaming anyhow.

The C1 and G1 are crushed out of the box, it can be dialled out in SDR with a few 20 point tweaks, but for HDR and DV, you'll need to get it calibrated. SDR does seem worse though.

Oh awesome, I can't remember how I had tone mapping set when i calibrated it now, but that's great you have it working in PC mode, cause that's the mode you'll always want it on for gaming anyhow.
I turned off dynamic tone mapping completely before calibrating the picture mode. From a few vids that is what I saw recommended. But yeah looks great.

Need to do SDR and DV game modes now lol.

So the black crush can be fixed with calibration completely or to an extent?

350.png

Gotta say, I'm loving a lot of these 80/90's Dolby Vision remasters on ATV, latest one (King of New York) which is on offer for £2.99 to buy, looks outstanding on the G1, pure blacks, vibrant colours and superb highlights!

Sorry to ask this if this has been answered before, what's a suggested meter to work with CalMan software? I've seen there are two people talk about and one is okay for 0-1000 nits and another is 0-1000+ nits. I like the idea of buying 1000+ nits for when I replace my G1 in 5ish years, but I have no idea if the meter will be useable in 5+ years.

Stacey Spears in BD forum confirmed that the black crush can be fixed via calibration on LG 2020-2021 OLEDs but on models prior to 2020.

Brakkus said its easily fixable in SDR and via calibration on HDR. This means I can add 77C1 or 77G1 to my buy list.

I am curious to do side by side myself once I move to my new home as I will be having 1 77 and 1 65.

Thanks everoyne for your answers. as you suggested didnt search for faults on my panel, just enjoying it as it is and really loving it so far. (im pretty sure its a solid panel anyway). my only regret is not buying the 77 inch... coming from 55 inch, i thought 65 would be more than enough but ... size matters, so 77 would be even beeter for my viewing distance (3.5m). at 2500 euro for the 65 though compared to the 77 which is 4200, there is a huge gap though.... if the 77 price drops later i might consider selling this one to buy the 77g1 or the 77cx even

Does anyone have any recommendations for a stand/set of feet to raise the TV up to get a soundbar (Sonos Beam) in without taking up screen space?

Saw these on Wayfair but would these be too narrow?

Actually meant to post this in the CX owners thread, don't know how I've quite managed that.

Is that crack in the gram next to the Red led is something normal or się I hey defective panel ?

Attachments

• 653FB60C-F9DF-496F-8A85-158BD0C6F351.jpeg
    653FB60C-F9DF-496F-8A85-158BD0C6F351.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 95D2784E-3F70-40BC-B746-619E9308ED24.jpeg
    95D2784E-3F70-40BC-B746-619E9308ED24.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 186
Yeah mine doesn’t have this. I would take it back.
I think it's ok. Rtings also has it on their model and the GX model. I also have it but not to his extent and only on the lower "bar"

Attachments

• F0DE1DDC-E2BE-433C-B98E-C05FDB06ED78.jpeg
    F0DE1DDC-E2BE-433C-B98E-C05FDB06ED78.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 150

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom