LG OLED G1 Evo Owners and Discussion Thread

It comes with the wall mount. I don't think it comes with the cover plate.

The wall mount was in a separate box within the TV box and included the wall plugs, stickers for guiding it on and the cardboard box for initial spacing.

Yeah, I opened the wall mount box to look for the plate. Looks like it comes with the optional feet stand.
Not an issue as the back isn't on show but felt a little uneasy spending three grand and missing something. :laugh:

I've recently received my LG G1, hooked up to Sonos ARC soundbar. I'm struggling to get anything but PCM 2.0 stereo to the sound bar no matter what I do. I am plugged into eARC HDMI port 2 on the G1, and I've tried Dolby 5.1 sources, Atmos sources TrueHD sources but they all report in the Sonos App as PCM 2.0 stereo.
Reaching out in case anyone else has had this issue and knows how to correct it!
I have also the sonos arc and the lg g1, this worked for me (i have this from another forum)
  1. Change your Sound Out to HDMI ARC
  2. Go to All Settings -> Sound -> Additional Settings and turn on eARC.
  3. Under All Settings -> Sound -> Additional Settings -> Digital Sound Out select “Pass Through”

Changing the cable between TV and soundbar seems to have fixed my issues. Might be too early to tell but we will see. I used two other cables tonight and it all seems fine.

Watched Game of Thrones season 2 episode 9 on 4k Blu-ray with DV (the one with the wildfire) absolutely beautiful scenes on this TV, a bit of football from virgin go from my pc and Doom Eternal on Xbox series x (so wonderfully colourful in HDR) and not come across the issue at all and Atmos passed through perfectly so fingers cross.

Usually got the issue within half an hour of use with digital sound out pass through setting before.

You need to set the following settings I think:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream
Digital Sound Out: Passthrough
eARC: On

Along with Bypass on the audio sync setting (can't remember the name of it, not at TV ATM) but I don't think this is necessary.

There may be things you need to enable on the Sonos side too perhaps?
Thanks for the help!

I enabled eARC, and Passthrough on the G1 now I am getting things like Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 appearing on the sonos app.

I still don't see Atmos logo appearing so I have a couple of questions.

Does the G1 display an Atmos logo when it first starts playing Atmos content?

Should I be seeing Dolby Atmos tag appearing in Sonos or is it fine when it just shows Dolby Digital Plus 7.1?

Also if you have a reference to an actual known Dolby Atmos test video I'd love to try that :)

Thanks for the help!

I enabled eARC, and Passthrough on the G1 now I am getting things like Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 appearing on the sonos app.

I still don't see Atmos logo appearing so I have a couple of questions.

Does the G1 display an Atmos logo when it first starts playing Atmos content?

Should I be seeing Dolby Atmos tag appearing in Sonos or is it fine when it just shows Dolby Digital Plus 7.1?

Also if you have a reference to an actual known Dolby Atmos test video I'd love to try that :)
I just realised that Dolby Atmos movie playing through the LG Plex App is transcoding TrueHD which seems to be the issue.

If I try the same movie on Nvidia Shield -> G1 then I get Dolby Atmos encoded audio appearing in Sonos.

I'm assuming then that TrueHD decoding is not possible on the LG Plex App. :(

Apologies for being a little off topic but those of you that have upgraded from C7 and have an Xbox Series X, did you have any hdmi issues using the console with C7?

I ask because I occasionally get white flashing pixels running diagonally across my screen when switching to HDR content.
Backing out to the Home Screen and then going back into the game usually sorts it, as does unplugging and plugging back in HDMI cable.

I tested the console on another tv for an hour and it seemed fine but I’m still concerned it could be a dodgy console rather than the tv.

Came from a C8 to G1 without those issues. Probably doesn't help sorry.

I'd try a different cable of you already haven't.
How you finding the G1 mate? I've got a c8 now, g1 on order but I'm thinking of cancelling

It's great. Still tinkering with settings to get the best out of it.

Gaming is amazing, nice to get the best out of the XB Series X & PS5.

Improvement in motion is noticeable, I like to adjust just enough to remove panning judder in films. I used to have de-judder 2 on my C8 which would produce artefacts, especially with flashing lights or scenes in a car with scenery rushing past the car window. None on the G1.
Same with football. Set it to Smooth and very few artefacts with the ball in the air that used to flicker on the C8.

Liking the editable settings menu too. You can move or delete unwanted menu list items the appear with the settings button. Even gives the option to turn the screen off which is a great feature to have easy to hand. I used to turn the tv off if I had to leave viewing for an extended period, can just turn the screen off now. Much better.

Got a great panel which is a relief, my C8 had a few minor imperfections that maybe I should have swapped it out over but the chance of getting a worse one coupled with the hassle of boxing up and arranging return, maybe more than once, persuaded me to live with it.
It's now my garage gym tv. 😎

It's a massive purchase and I have no regrets at all. It's definitely an improvement which I think is probably much more apparent coming from a C8 than it would have been coming from a C9 or 10.

I say go for it, but if you don't the C8 is still a fantastic set.👍

I just realised that Dolby Atmos movie playing through the LG Plex App is transcoding TrueHD which seems to be the issue.

If I try the same movie on Nvidia Shield -> G1 then I get Dolby Atmos encoded audio appearing in Sonos.

I'm assuming then that TrueHD decoding is not possible on the LG Plex App. :(

Yeah this might be why. Glad to see you're able to get Atmos working now though.

The TV only shows the Atmos logo if the audio is using the TV's speakers.

Apologies for being a little off topic but those of you that have upgraded from C7 and have an Xbox Series X, did you have any hdmi issues using the console with C7?

I ask because I occasionally get white flashing pixels running diagonally across my screen when switching to HDR content.
Backing out to the Home Screen and then going back into the game usually sorts it, as does unplugging and plugging back in HDMI cable.

I tested the console on another tv for an hour and it seemed fine but I’m still concerned it could be a dodgy console rather than the tv.

I came from the C7 to the G1 and have not noticed any issues like this with the Xbox Series X. Been playing a bit of Doom Eternal and it's been a fantastic experience. Might be worth swapping the HDMI cable with another to see if it resolves it?

Came from a C8 to G1 without those issues. Probably doesn't help sorry.

I'd try a different cable of you already haven't.
I’ve tried a lot of troubleshooting with Xbox support, trying different cables and all that.

I have read of other people having issues with C7 and Xbox but nothing matching my issue. Not going to be happy if it happens on my G1 too when I get it.

I’ve just ordered a G1, coming from a G7.

Love the form factor (my G7 is a bit of a monster!) improved evo screen, and 4xHDMI2.1 ports, and all the other improvements of 4 years have me very excited! Now just need a delivery date (and a buyer for my G7)

Are you supposed to set the color temperature back to Warm 50 in HDR and Dolby Vision? I did that for SDR in Filmmaker and Game Optimizer but it automatically adjusts it to 0 in HDR/DV. I’ve read in some places that you aren’t supposed to adjust the settings that it changes when switching, but that just seems odd to me. Pretty sure I saw Dolby Vision upped the Sharpness to 20 as well, but I couldn’t swear to that.

Good day all
I am having problem with TV LG G1 Evo 77" connected via Optical cable into my Bose LyfeStyle 35 II. Yes I know the Amp is old but so far is still ok for me. Anyway here the problem: all sudden the audio stream from the TV is PCM 2.0 only even while watching Netflix, BR or any another sources. If I am connecting the BOSE directly via optical cable into a PS4 for instance the Audio streamed comes out correctly like either DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1. Do you know how is possible solve the problem? Please notice the TV is connect via lan cable so it is always update
thank you

Have you changed the tv output to bitstream?
Actually it was a very silly as well as simple solution which took me a while to figure out. I am new on LG as well as on WebOS but long story short if the setting is lined up on LG Sync, the option for choosing the specific output on Optical is grey out thus you have to untick the LG sync so you can choose whichever output you need....
Ok while I am here I am asking something else. I bought the G1 mostly for the playing games with next gen console [PS5/Xbox X] but at the same time I was looking to upgrade my home theater system. I am looking for Denon X4700 which is implementing the most of the next gen console features like VRR and so on, is anyone here experience with Denon and let me know if there are any issue? I know they are releasing for free an external box due to an issue on HDMI 2.1 chip failing against HDCP protocol

I notice you have the same soundbar, would you happen to have the latest consoles, namely the Xbox Series X?

If so could you please check the TV and Display settings and let me know if VRR and ALLM is highlighted or greyed out when passing through the sound bar?

Are you also running everything into the (3xinputs) Soundbar then eARC to TV eARC?
The HDMI cable change didn't end up working long term and still continued. I found other people had similar issues with last couple of years oleds with various external sound devices. Advice seems to have heen to switch off Quick Start+ so I turned both that and HDMI-CEC (with Logitech Harmony I don't need it anyway) off and all seems well.

Are you supposed to set the color temperature back to Warm 50 in HDR and Dolby Vision? I did that for SDR in Filmmaker and Game Optimizer but it automatically adjusts it to 0 in HDR/DV. I’ve read in some places that you aren’t supposed to adjust the settings that it changes when switching, but that just seems odd to me. Pretty sure I saw Dolby Vision upped the Sharpness to 20 as well, but I couldn’t swear to that.
Checked agin and Sharpness isn’t increasing, but color depth is going back up to 55.

Actually it was a very silly as well as simple solution which took me a while to figure out. I am new on LG as well as on WebOS but long story short if the setting is lined up on LG Sync, the option for choosing the specific output on Optical is grey out thus you have to untick the LG sync so you can choose whichever output you need....
Ok while I am here I am asking something else. I bought the G1 mostly for the playing games with next gen console [PS5/Xbox X] but at the same time I was looking to upgrade my home theater system. I am looking for Denon X4700 which is implementing the most of the next gen console features like VRR and so on, is anyone here experience with Denon and let me know if there are any issue? I know they are releasing for free an external box due to an issue on HDMI 2.1 chip failing against HDCP protocol
Denon are a really good brand. I used to use Onkyo as they were better but something changed with them and they weren't as good any more. Got a Denon and its been brilliant. Only thing like you say is watch out for HDMI 2.1 compatibility. I know a lot of the early chipsets had issues (same with other manufacturers). I haven't heard about the free box to fix it but I think their newer boxes are fine. Worth researching which is sounds as though you have.
The denon amps also come with a secret HDMI speed tester to sort your cables out and make sure their speed is suitable.

How is the Upscaling from c8 to g1? I really hate the upscaling on the C8

Can't really comment as I watch most 1080p via Sky Q which does the upscaling when set to 2160p. The Sky box upscales poorly but I can't leave it on 1080p as I lose UHD films and F1. I'm not faffing about with the settings all the time so leave it on 2160p. They should set it to work how the old Sky boxes handled resolution and switch it to let the tv handle it instead of upscaling. At least give the option.

How is the Upscaling from c8 to g1? I really hate the upscaling on the C8

Purely from a retro gaming perspective, the upscaling (integer scaling) is a tiny bit better than the CX, and better than the C8 (had both) 720p is amazingly sharp vs 1080p and 1440p, almost indistinguishable, that good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom