LG OLED E8 Owners and Discussion Thread

Thanks for the heads-up on the E9. Not good news. Maybe they'll get it right for the E10!

Interesting that you find the screen too dark. I don't have that issue but maybe it's just personal preference. There again, I've only watched HD so far and not looked at any HDR, Dolby Vision or 4k.

Thanks for the heads-up on the E9. Not good news. Maybe they'll get it right for the E10!

Interesting that you find the screen too dark. I don't have that issue but maybe it's just personal preference. There again, I've only watched HD so far and not looked at any HDR, Dolby Vision or 4k.

Compare my E7 to my E8 screen it’s slightly cleaner picture but gamma shift issue that other people are suffering from on the current firmware is making everything so dark & disappointing so far especially with Dolby Vision. Hopefully the firmware fix will be released soon.

'My Channels' issue

The 'My Channels' tab on the home menu is very useful, particularly for quick switching between satellite and Freeview modes. However, it doesn't retain the added channels for more than a few hours in my experience. When you go back to the tab you can see the channels momentarily and then they vanish in front of your eyes! Has anyone else experienced this? I presume it's a bug but is there a cure?

Any UK viewers with Sky Q, what settings do you use to view UHD, do you keep it the same as HD programs or swap to HDR settings?
I dont really get the UHD experience from sky q, certainly not the same as Netflix, youtube or other streaming services with HDR, as they just blow me away. I was thinking that I maybe my settings are not correct as I dont see that much improvement.
Hopefully sky will implement HDR soon and then I will see the difference

Common issue my E7 did the same & now my new E8 has the same problem the TV cabinet has poor sound insulation once you get over certain volume.

The E7 speakers got better over time but think the E8 speakers are not as good at high volumes & if you turn on the bass boost it’s horrible especially with Netflix.

Looks like a soundbar @ some stage.

Yes i am very disappointed on the audio base distortion for a tv which is marketed as having good audio vs b/c8.

My previous c7 didn’t distort like this, however had terrible tinny sound.

Yes i am very disappointed on the audio base distortion for a tv which is marketed as having good audio vs b/c8.

My previous c7 didn’t distort like this, however had terrible tinny sound.

Have to agree it’s ok with normal TV but feed it Atmos on Netflix or watch a movie & it’s awful cabinet distorted sound really unhappy with it can’t believe LG didn’t test this.

My old E7 was much better. Regretting the switch to the E8 @ the moment with the issue with gamma making the picture very dull. Hopefully the firmware fixing this issue will be released soon.

But will have to add a soundbar soon l think.

Have to agree it’s ok with normal TV but feed it Atmos on Netflix or watch a movie & it’s awful cabinet distorted sound really unhappy with it can’t believe LG didn’t test this.

My old E7 was much better. Regretting the switch to the E8 @ the moment with the issue with gamma making the picture very dull. Hopefully the firmware fixing this issue will be released soon.

But will have to add a soundbar soon l think.

Ok. Try this - a big improvement.

Turn Atmos off. Speakers are not distorting now or not by much.

I guess you turn Atmos on every time there is Atmos content.

I am using Cinema Sound mode.

Ok. Try this - a big improvement.

Turn Atmos off. Speakers are not distorting now or not by much.

I guess you turn Atmos on every time there is Atmos content.

I am using Cinema Sound mode.

Thanks l will give it a go turning Atmos off for normal content. I use Cinema sound too.

Atmos on 4K disc, Netflix, ATV4K is abysmal on the E8 whats the point in having Atmos on board decoding when it badly distorts! :facepalm:

Thanks l will give it a go turning Atmos off for normal content. I use Cinema sound too.

Atmos on 4K disc, Netflix, ATV4K is abysmal on the E8 whats the point in having Atmos on board decoding when it badly distorts! :facepalm:

Yes you are right for allot of content. However it has more dynamic range which you can hear.

Good luck.

I mostly use my Sony WH1000XM3 Bluetooth headphones with the TV. THE TV supports AptX and sounds great with these headphones with a ton of base - no distortion or lip sync issues.

I'm glad it's not just me with these audio issues with the E8. It's infuriating that not one review referred to this issue. Surely they would have tested the audio on higher volumes when watching films?

The E9 has been praised for having better audio but someone here mentioned that although the audio is louder and more dynamic they haven't cured the vibration problem and in fact it's even worse as the bass is punchier. Such poor design. I've had lower spec TVs for years and none had these vibration issues.

Hi all I’m thinking of purchasing the E8. One question though. Does the automatic brightness limiter cause any problems when viewing bright content (dimming the screen) and does it happen often?

Hi all I’m thinking of purchasing the E8. One question though. Does the automatic brightness limiter cause any problems when viewing bright content (dimming the screen) and does it happen often?

The ABL isn’t that aggressive on the E8 never seen it dim the screen in bright content its a fantastic OLED apart from the disappointing sound & will only get better once LG issue the firmware fix for the gamma issue. For the price it’s excellent choice but a soundbar or other audio solution is necessary.

I have read elsewhere the new E9 has the same issues regarding cabinet rattling & vibrations as LG has put speakers in the back of the stand to improve the sound. That’s why l ended up buying the cheaper E8 in the end knowing that the sound wasn’t as good as my E7.

My only issue is the E8 screen is so dark & very little pop but hopefully this will be fixed when LG issue the firmware fix that everyone is waiting for regarding the gamma shift issue. At the moment Dolby Vision is unwatchable & everything else is on the dark side.
There's a new firmware update that is supposed to fix the gamma issues!

[05.10.03]
1. Fixed Google Speech's bug
2. Improving Google Assistant service
3. Improving Amazon Echo service
4. "Direct TV Now" ready for 2018 yeares of product launch
5. TV Remote service expansion to 14 EU countries
6. Adding Compensation function in OLED model Auto Off condition
7. Adding 18Y HDCP2.3
8. Adding to Israeli STB Universal Remote Control
9. Fixed minor bugs

Yes I have ! Hopefully it's not my eyes playing tricks on me !

Thanks. l will have to do more testing as since l purchased the E8 in May the pq has been totally underwhelming far to dull especially with Dolby Vision against my previous E7. Hopefully this new firmware will help bring the E8 back to life.

Thanks. l will have to do more testing as since l purchased the E8 in May the pq has been totally underwhelming far to dull especially with Dolby Vision against my previous E7. Hopefully this new firmware will help bring the E8 back to life.
The new firmware should help, but judging from your previous comments I do think your screen is faulty. The C8/E8 is by no means dull and for me, even with the OLED light set to 40 on Expert Dark Room it's still bright enough. The new firmware has given the picture even more pop. I haven't had time to test the shadow detail yet but others report that this is improved.

John Lewis at Cribbs Causeway still had the E8 on display when I was there a couple of weeks ago and I was really surprised at just how good it looks in the flesh compared to the pictures shown online and IMHO was the slickest and most premium looking set on display from every angle.

So I managed to get an even better deal on a 65 E8 than the C8 I was originally planning to get so the decision was made.... :eek::D

Should hopefully have everything set up later this week..:smashin:

Have any of you 65 owners managed to unbox and fit the stand by yourself ?

John Lewis at Cribbs Causeway still had the E8 on display when I was there a couple of weeks ago and I was really surprised at just how good it looks in the flesh compared to the pictures shown online and IMHO was the slickest and most premium looking set on display from every angle.

So I managed to get an even better deal on a 65 E8 than the C8 I was originally planning to get so the decision was made.... :eek::D

Should hopefully have everything set up later this week..:smashin:

Have any of you 65 owners managed to unbox and fit the stand by yourself ?

Yeah l did the stand just clips into the bottom a few screws then you are done.
Not to heavy picking it up just be careful.

Make sure you install the latest firmware the sound is ok for normal TV but for everything else it’s appalling.

I had to buy a LG SL9YG soundbar now a lot happier. PQ wise not far off this year models & it’s a lovely looking piece of design. Enjoy you’re purchase :thumbsup:

So I've been up and running with my 65 E8 for a couple of weeks now..:)

It's an April 19 build, completely tint free and there is zero banding..:eek:

I have a 55 E6 as well and the improvements LG have made in the last couple of years are more noticeable than I was expecting, better near black handling, less noise and in general the picture is sharper and cleaner.

There's a nice boost to HDR brightness too and the Dynamic Tone Mapping works brilliantly..:D

The sounds not great and a step back from my E6, but its ok for general TV viewing and I mostly use a sound bar anyway.

So with a JL price match of £1899.98 and the £125.00 gift card offer during there recent promotion the set has only really cost me £1774.98..:p:D

I have zero regrets with my purchase and its now down to £1999.00, so still an absolute bargain !!

Last edited:
I've noticed an annoying quirk with my E8 - when I watch an IP stream in Freeview the screen saver kicks in! It seems to think that I'm not watching a channel. The IP channels are in the 200 range e.g. Planet Knowledge. As this type of transmission will become more prevalent in future, this issue needs to be sorted. I can't see a way to disable the screen saver, not that I'd want to. Has anyone resolved this issue?

Watching internet streams through an app is fine e.g. iPlayer, so it's just an issue with the Freeview system.

Your probably better off asking in the C8 thread if you want a reply this year... :rotfl:

I think the sound is actually better than I originally thought, setting to cinema and tuning with an emphasis on bass sounds great and the Dolby Atmos shows on Sky Q & Netflix sound even better.. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom