LG OLED E8 Owners and Discussion Thread

Tony212

I might try that! As you're tuning your sound to be bass-heavy, are you hearing any vibration from the cabinet? That's the problem I have. The cinema setting does help though.

Goonerdude

Cabinet vibration on the E8 is shocking ok for normal TV but watching movies it’s awful spoils the use of TV no end. I ended up buying a LG Soundbar much happier now & makes a massive difference.

Nitroxa

With the volume increment on high, I don't go much over 40 and I've not noticed any vibration although it would not surprise me if you really crank things up, but still for TV speakers they are fine for watching the early morning news..

I've got a soundbar as well which is pretty much essential for movies and gaming, but that would apply to most TV's, even those costing twice as much..:p:D

Such

Anyone using their magic remote to control skyQ 2TB box? If so how did you manage that?
Tried device connector but does not work when selecting bskyb as box manufacturer.
Thanks

Backlash

Novice Member
Hey guys,

First, I'm sorry this might be a repeated question but I'm kinda struggling with it at the moment. I bought a E8 a couple of months ago and I was over the moon with the image quality after following a image calibration tutorial. Then, a couple of days ago, the image just went downhill. I don't know if it was the kid with the remote or something like that but now, even after reseting if it factory and following other tutorials (can't find that one, it was done on ISR Bright room and I can only find tutorials for Dark room) the image is just not as sharp as it was. It don't seem as detailed, doesn't seem as sharp, kinda blurry, even watching Netflix HD for example.

Wondering if someone could point me out in the direction of a good tutorial that would help me get the great image I had back. The youtube/rtings ones didn't work unfortunately.

Thank you in advance

Goonerdude

Now on LG UK website for download & OTA.

New Firmware Released. 05.10.20

1. Improvement
1) Improved the issue of intermittent playback stop when playing 4K content of VUDU app

Tony212

Thanks for the info. Are there are other listed fixes? Vudu is not available in the UK. I'll check the website.

pablohoney

Standard Member
Anyone using their magic remote to control skyQ 2TB box? If so how did you manage that?
Tried device connector but does not work when selecting bskyb as box manufacturer.
Thanks
Select “Sky Q” from the list as it is listed separately.

cooknl

got new firmware 05.10.35 ota, does anyone have any info on the changes??

THX

Rob

Goonerdude

got new firmware 05.10.35 ota, does anyone have any info on the changes??
THX
Rob
LG don’t always listed the bug fixes or any improvements but this update.

1. Improvement
1) fix the abnormal termination in Disney+ App

Installed no issues to report.

GrimUpNorth

Seen an offer for a damaged box otherwise new 65" E8 at £1320, was going to take the plunge but saw the stuff around dodgy sound on here - is the sound actually worse than the C series?

Still worth the saving - compared with C9 currently at £1800? Or would you spend the extra?

C9 would have 5 years warranty, E8 just the one

Goonerdude

New firmware has been released on LG UK website.

SW File (Version 05.10.40)
1. Improvement
1) Add HEVC logo to user guide

FuzzE4

Novice Member
I have had the e8 for a couple months now and was just sitting back watching Netflix until I started to notice the rattling noise from the internal TV speaker which has brought me onto this page. Have they managed to sort this issue or is it something I can speak to LG about as I'm still under warranty?? Thanks

Bummers

Been looking at e8's recently but the sound issues are putting me off, also this owners thread doesn't seem very active sadly ☹

Goonerdude

The E8 sound is just ok for normal TV but not built for movies or anything with a bit of bass.

You really need a soundbar with this OLED to match the gorgeous design & stunning picture quality on the E8.

Tony212

I agree. The E8 is a brilliant TV picture-wise and if you can get it at a good price I'd say go for it, with the proviso that you'll need to budget for external sound. LG's marketing is guilty of overselling the speakers on this TV - calling them a built-in soundbar is ludicrous. They certainly do vibrate badly with any kind of bass. Why this wasn't picked up by reviewers is a mystery as it's a major black mark. If I'd paid full price for one I'd be mightily hacked off.

I tweaked the sound to an extent and it does reduce the speaker rattle, but it also diminishes the sound quality, so it's not really an option.

When an owners' thread goes quiet it's usually because everyone is happy and there are no ongoing issues to discuss.

Bummers

Good points well made!

It's disappointing though as a big part of the selling point was not having to get a separate sound bar, which it sounds like it does need. So not sure if there is any advantage over the c8 or Samsung Q85.

Ahhh, decisions! 😭😆

Goonerdude

Picture quality will be the same as the C8 but the E8 is a much better design & premium feel with the panel stuck on glass. Also much easier to add a soundbar as the bottom of the screen on the E8 is a lot higher then on the C8.

Sammy no Dolby Vision or Atmos via ARC which is a killer for me depends which content you watch & what streaming service you subscribe to it might make a difference.

Q85 will be brighter but blacks much better on the OLED & LG are very good with there firmware updates & supporting there TV’s for a few years. Qled v Oled that’s a personal decision & different technology.

Goonerdude

If you are coming from a plasma background then OLED is the perfect choice. But if you have always had LCD’s then the QLED might suit you better let yours eyes be the judge. Personally E8 or any OLED everytime for me. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tony212

Yes, the OLED image is incomparable in my view. Truly authentic, deep and rich. However, the higher end Samsungs like the Q90 are pretty good, and if you're a gamer I'd say go for the Samsung as there is a moderate risk of image burn with OLEDs if you have static images for too long.