LG OLED E6 65" or LG OLED E7 55"

marjacklu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have had my mind set on the LG OLED E7 55" for a while and visited my local hi-fi shop yesterday, to take another look. The E7 55" was on display and had a price of 3500 Euros. However, there was also an E6 65" on display for 3700 Euros. This was the last model.

If I purchase the E7, I know it will be brand new, whereas the E6 TV has been on display for the last 5 months.

Therefore, I have a dilemma as to which one to buy. Is the improvement from E6 to E7 worth pushing me towards the newer model, even though the screen size will be smaller, and should I be worried about a display model that has been switched on during shopping hours for the last 5 months?

Any advice or feedback would be welcome.
marjacklu

you should go for the bigger size model, especially with UHD as you'll need to view a lot closer with an UHD vs a FHD one. The only time I wouldn't is if you plan on already sitting at least 1 metre close from the 55". If you sit farther than 2.5m then UHD won't be noticeable on the 65"either so then you may consider the smaller model but regardless they say to go for the largest you can afford.

However I would definitely inspect the tv first, most stores will have the tv on a loop so it won't matter unless they have static images and they should switch it off to perform its clearing cycle each night so it shouldn't be a problem anyway. However check to make sure there is no sign of any permanent burn in.

Given how much extra you pay for a larger OLED vs an LCD compared to more similar prices at 55"it looks even better value. You'll also get a better design, a sound bar instead of integrated speakers and 3D.

Of course there are improvements with the newer models but they aren't substantial enough to warrant the extra. If you do want a.2017 model it's worth waiting for prices to drop more as they are still very overpriced. Come spring next year the 55" B/C7 should be closer to €1700.

Many thanks for your advice Dodgexander. I was leaning towards the 65" and your words convinced me that this is the best option. I appreciate the time you took to answer my question with some detail.
Cheers
marjacklu

I was out TV window shopping earlier as i'm still without a TV and really need to get one this year.

What surprised me was, how small 50" TV's looked these days! I'm going to be sitting a good 10ft away so 50" just doesn't cut it.

The 55" size was ok though, again, at 10ft away, it certainly didn't have the :eek: factor.

Looking at the 65" screens though took it to a whole other level. It might only be an extra 10":D but boy, the visual impact from a few metres away was night and day.

I've just measured up my wall again and, it's possible that I can squeeze a 65" on there. That'll give me conflicting thoughts for months now:D

The Panny 58" models seemed like a good compromise mind. Noticeably, though not huge bigger than the 55" models.

I took the plunge and went for the 65" model and I am very happy with it. Watching high quality content on the TV (HD or above) is exceptional.

I remember the first flat screen I bought was a Philips 42" and at the time, I thought that was huge! But when I was in the shop the other day, most models seemed to be 55" or above. It looks to be the way things are moving.

Good luck with your own purchase.
Cheers
marjacklu

you should go for the bigger size model, especially with UHD as you'll need to view a lot closer with an UHD vs a FHD one. The only time I wouldn't is if you plan on already sitting at least 1 metre close from the 55". If you sit farther than 2.5m then UHD won't be noticeable on the 65"either so then you may consider the smaller model but regardless they say to go for the largest you can afford.

Seeing as both tvs are UHD, I think screen resolution isn't likely to be a factor in determining which tv to go for. The way I see it, higher resolutions either allow for a larger screen or for us to sit closer. Depends on how you look at it. However, seeing as most people's viewing positions are relatively fixed; determined by room size and shape, I think it's true to say that a larger tv will have a bigger impact regardless of how close you sit or whether your eye can differentiate between 1080 and 2160 or not. Maybe from my 4m viewing position my eye will not be able to discern the extra detail in any significant way, but I'm sure I will appreciate the 10" increase in screen size as it is a large screen that I am mainly after and not just screen resoltuon.

Last edited:
I took the plunge and went for the 65" model and I am very happy with it. Watching high quality content on the TV (HD or above) is exceptional.

I remember the first flat screen I bought was a Philips 42" and at the time, I thought that was huge! But when I was in the shop the other day, most models seemed to be 55" or above. It looks to be the way things are moving.

Good luck with your own purchase.
Cheers
marjacklu
if it's a shop floor display model just remember to check for burn in.
You will need colour slides to determine this.

Thanks Dr No. I managed to pick up a new model for the same price - played one store off against another. That made the decision to buy, a much easier one.

Thanks Dr No. I managed to pick up a new model for the same price - played one store off against another. That made the decision to buy, a much easier one.
Congrats
Lovely TV

E6

Screen size > slight increase in IQ
Immerse > slight increase in ABL + lightoutput

even if HDR and peak brightness is a priority, its not like the E7 solves the issue, it just improves from the E6.
Nothing competes with a bigger screen and most of the time, limited screen size forces people to upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom