SkyMasterson

Novice Member
Reaction score
New LG OLED CX, Delivered 1 week ago
Latest Download Firmware installed
Factory reset several times
All timers (I can find) turned off
Tried 3 different ethernet cables
Have confirmed the TV ethernet NIC self powers off using multiple routers and even basic ethernet switch.
Convinced that this is not a router issue because the network connection to web is successful when powering up after AC applied and also WiFi can re-establish a connection after power off with remote.

Setup 'wired' ethernet either automatic or with fixed IP address (does not matter)
Using Known good Google DNS (8.8.8.8)

Unplug TV from wall and then plug in AC.
Turn TV on.
Network NIC powers on connects to the world wide web, all is good (except pathetic 100Mbps NIC) on TV when I have Gig ethernet to TV port
Everything works on TV.

Power off TV (using remote) and wait approximately 5 min (5min 49sec) and the ethernet NIC powers off. The light on the router goes off.
After this occurs, next time I power on TV using only the remote, the network connection shows that I am connected to the Web(as depicted in Settings), but can barely pass data.
Usually around 100Kbps which is unusable.

If I unplug the ethernet cable and let the WiFi connect I can get back to the internet, but if I leave the ethernet cable connected, the only way to reconnect with normal speed is to unplug the TV and plug it back in again.

1. Why is the ethernet NIC shutting off power to the port after approx. 5 min?
2. Why can the ethernet NIC not re-establish a connection to the web after it has self-powered off?
3. Is there a lower level menu that a technician can access that may include a ethernet NIC timer?
4. Anybody else having this issue

PS. I know I can use WiFi. I want to use wired ethernet.

Thank you.

Hi,

I have a similar issue. I haven't tested that much in detail, but ethernet connection is unbearably slow on mine as well - unstable, around 100Kbps as you have mentioned.

My model is OLED65CX9LA, bought in Germany about a month ago.
Couldn't find a solution so far.

I spoke with LG. They recommended sending a technician to my home. I have instead decided to exchange this TV for a replacement (same model, size).
The replacement TV is on order. When it arrives and is installed I will report back if this corrects this issue (bad TV) or instead confirms that this issue is possibly systemic.

The NIC on my 2019 non-OLED LG TV shuts down when the TV is put in standby. There’s always the option of a USB NIC — details somewhere in this forum — which will give speeds better than 100Mbit.

I spoke with LG. They recommended sending a technician to my home. I have instead decided to exchange this TV for a replacement (same model, size).
The replacement TV is on order. When it arrives and is installed I will report back if this corrects this issue (bad TV) or instead confirms that this issue is possibly systemic.
I see. I guess I won't go through the repair/replacement process for this small issue. It'd be great though if you post the result here.

I'd reject the TV and get a replacement, unless you're happy having a brand new product pulled to bits. There's clearly a fault with a brand new item. I'd always expect the item replaced in the first instance. There's no requirement to accept repairs on something brand new, especially as you can prove the fault.

The new replacement TV was installed yesterday. I am surprised to report that the new replacement TV works correctly. The connectivity issue is resolved. The first TV 'must have' had a bad network card.
As a small fyi....the new replacement TV disconnects the network card immediately when the power is turned off and reconnects normally when the power is turned back on (via remote). The first TV (defective) kept the network card on (light illuminated at the router) for approx. 5 1/2 min after turn-off and never reconnected correctly after the network light turned off.

Glad to hear that a replacement solved your issue. I guess I'll give mine another try at some point, maybe after the next firmware update. If it works, great, if not, I won't chase it much.

I've had two CX77s. There were no network problems at all with the first one. I ended up returning that one for heavy vertical banding. The 2nd one had issues with ethernet out of the box. It would sometimes work but would eventually slow down to a few kbps and be unusable. I turned off Wifi and Quick Start+ and it's been working great ever since.

I've had two CX77s. There were no network problems at all with the first one. I ended up returning that one for heavy vertical banding. The 2nd one had issues with ethernet out of the box. It would sometimes work but would eventually slow down to a few kbps and be unusable. I turned off Wifi and Quick Start+ and it's been working great ever since.
what do you mean with "Quick Start +" ? Thx

Have confirmed the TV ethernet NIC self powers off using multiple routers and even basic ethernet switch.
Convinced that this is not a router issue because the network connection to web is successful when powering up after AC applied and also WiFi can re-establish a connection after power off with remote.

Setup 'wired' ethernet either automatic or with fixed IP address (does not matter)

Turn TV on.
Network NIC powers on connects to the world wide web, all is good (except pathetic 100Mbps NIC) on TV when I have Gig ethernet to TV port
Everything works on TV.

Power off TV (using remote) and wait approximately 5 min (5min 49sec) and the ethernet NIC powers off. The light on the router goes off.
After this occurs, next time I power on TV using only the remote, the network connection shows that I am connected to the Web(as depicted in Settings), but can barely pass data.

If I unplug the ethernet cable and let the WiFi connect I can get back to the internet, but if I leave the ethernet cable connected, the only way to reconnect with normal speed is to unplug the TV and plug it back in again.

2. Why can the ethernet NIC not re-establish a connection to the web after it has self-powered off?
3. Is there a lower level menu that a technician can access that may include a ethernet NIC timer?

Thank you.
I had the same issue. Had the tv replaced and new one works
fine... but the tv now smells of hot plastic... had that checked and it'll.wear off apparently... other crap going on with it was well firmware related. Not sure ill bother with another lg : /

Turn TV on.
Everything works on TV.

Thank you.
I changed my network cable from a cat 6 to a lighter cat5e and it solved this problem.

I changed my network cable from a cat 6 to a lighter cat5e and it solved this problem.
I exchanged the tv after trying everything you did. New one works with no drama. Its nothing you are doing by the sounds of it.

Fair enough, will see if the issue comes back. But really don't want to replace it as the pq is error free.

Hmmmm... I've been running over wifi on my 77GX since day 1, as I found a thread explaining the issue of slow speeds wired - I really want a wired connection... I have 500mbps and want to use it.

Can anyone confirm what speeds you're getting with the wired connection after "replacement"?

@sixstringmonk - wifi off and quickstart+ off and this allowed you to achieve what speeds with a wired connection?

I exchanged the tv after trying everything you did. New one works with no drama. Its nothing you are doing by the sounds of it.
Still have the problem, booked a repair to replace main board.

Hmmmm... I've been running over wifi on my 77GX since day 1, as I found a thread explaining the issue of slow speeds wired - I really want a wired connection... I have 500mbps and want to use it.

Can anyone confirm what speeds you're getting with the wired connection after "replacement"?

@sixstringmonk - wifi off and quickstart+ off and this allowed you to achieve what speeds with a wired connection?
I can get 90-95 mbps on the built in Netflix network test, so I'm more or less saturating the port.

I can get 90-95 mbps on the built in Netflix network test, so I'm more or less saturating the port.
Gotcha - So wired, the ethernet port on these is 100gbps capable max?

My issue isn't with streaming Netflix, it's the connection to my NAS... if that is throttled to 100mbs (which it must be) I might have issues with the highest grade content. That's the reason I've been over wifi since I got the set in November - can get over 300mbps that way.

I could be worrying about nothing really - just seems odd it's not Gig capable over ethernet in this day and age, and for a premium price.

i think it's been confirmed quite a lot that the ethernet port on the TV is 100Mbps max.
the real world max you'll get from a 100Mbps port is around 94Mbps

i think it's been confirmed quite a lot that the ethernet port on the TV is 100Mbps max.
the real world max you'll get from a 100Mbps port is around 94Mbps
Which is what I get - this is fine...

Now I can get 300 ish over wifi - What would you folks plump for? Streaming from Netlix and the like - I'm fine with 100mbps.

4k UHD with high quality audio from the NAS... Not sure If I'd be better wired at 100 or wireless at a faster speed for that.

4k uhd remux often peaks way over 100Mbps

If you want to go wired and need over 90-ish Mbps, you have the option of using a USB NIC. The built in port should be fine for all of the current streaming media services.

Also noticed the problem last night while watching Ozark. The resolution dropped to 480P and under 1 meg in bitrate.

Did a speed test using the Netflix help option and it came out at under 6Mbps which is way off. Eventually try speedtest on the browser and that wasn't much better either.

I don't have quick start on anyway but a reboot of the TV and the speedtest.net is up to 25Mbps and now Netflix is streaming at 4K at 12Mbps or so. Fast.com won't even register a download speed.

Yet both Fast.com and speedtest.net register the full upload speed at around ~50Mbps.

My WiFi is a bit too far away from this TV so not sure what the rate will be on this but will try that later.

For those people getting replacement sets have you upgraded to the latest software? Could this be the issue?

Might look at a USB to gigabit adapter to see if that is better as at the moment its not good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom