LG OLED C9 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Do you know how fast your connection to the tv is? Are you using WiFi or Ethernet?
75MB/s wired. Have you checked what speed Netflix is showing via the option to check your network in settings?

For the folks using NVIDIA Shield, not sure if the latest update will cause any issues or make things better.
  • Player: improve refresh rate switching by allowing frame rates to be matched as floats.

I did check the speed using the LG browser and going to fast.com. I don't know of a way to check the speed within the app itself.
Load up Netflix. Scroll down to Get help using the left menu options then click check your network.

Just an update on experimentation with the sub brightness control.
I currently have it on 127. This meant I could see boxes 70 onwards with a smaller amount of crush than brightness 49 on the hdr test pattern. I then played around with the sub brightness and lowered by 1 point each time to see if adjusting brightness on the TV would illuminate box 68 but keep reference black.
I found if I went to sub brightness 125 and then brightness on the TV to 52 I could see box 68!
I tested SOUL again with these settings and the scene was black so I thought it's fixed but noticed some posterization around the character which didn't seem to be there with sub b/c at 127?!?
Also with these settings I noticed some flashing artifacts in GREEN KNIGHT via PRIME VIDEO in one scene that disappeared if I turned the TV brightness down a notch to 51 but then I lose box 68's visibility! So it seems its not stable near black.

So this also affected Dolby Vision also which when putting at 52 brightness lost true black so that doesn't match the HDR picture mode?

So I'm confused as to what is the best thing to do here?
If anyone could give me help with the following?

1. Should I perhaps change the TV panel due to these grey uniformity issues? GREEN KNIGHT looked awful on PRIME in HDR. I have 75MB/s speed so not problem with bandwidth.
The black level was mostly greyish though and I could clearly see the two lighter grey patches at various times and that was with sub brightness at 127. I had a look at an HDR backup rip of this film and it looked much better than PRIME though so sone of this is compression artifacts.
2. Does sub contrast need to be altered at all to match?
2. Any problem with lowering the sub brightness to 125? Will that affect the panel in a negative way visually and is that why I got those flashing artifacts?
3. Is 127 the best setting then and is losing box 68's visibility a big deal or 125 so I can see box 68?
Can any technical people chime in on this?

Can any technical people chime in on this?
Trouble is I don't think there'll be many people who have adjusted those values within the service menu.

Trouble is I don't think there'll be many people who have adjusted those values within the service menu.
Agreed. You'd likely need a professional calibrators opinion, which is probably along the lines of "don't mess about in the service menu" 😅 Have you considered paying for calibration? At least then you can be pretty happy it's as accurate as it can get.
Edit: typo

Just remembered my panel did its second Pixel Refresh a few days ago.

Still looks OK imo, apart from a little black patch bottom left, not sure what that is but hasn't been affecting content.

Attachments

• 20211026_233110.jpg
    20211026_233110.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 20211026_233139.jpg
    20211026_233139.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20211026_232733.jpg
    20211026_232733.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 112
Just remembered my panel did its second Pixel Refresh a few days ago.

Still looks OK imo, apart from a little black patch bottom left, not sure what that is but hasn't been affecting content.
Hmm that is quite an obvious patch on that test screen. Has it ran one of the shorter pixel refresher since? Could just be a short term uniformity issue since the larger refresh.
It's luckily out of the way for most letterbox content but if it starts affecting viewing I'd be tempted to raise it as a fault if you have any warranty left.

Hmm that is quite an obvious patch on that test screen. Has it ran one of the shorter pixel refresher since? Could just be a short term uniformity issue since the larger refresh.
It's luckily out of the way for most letterbox content but if it starts affecting viewing I'd be tempted to raise it as a fault if you have any warranty left.
Yeah I'd say its done two compensation cycles. I'll keep an eye out on various content see if it's noticeable.

Thanks! I will check it out tonight.
Also for Netflix, two things:
1. you don't get HDR unless you're paying for the top-of-the-range "Premium" package. I assume you know this :)
2. Data usage must be set to "High" in your options.

Netflix-options.png

HTH

Hello everyone!

I have the C9 with the latest firmware (05.10.25) connected to my Denon AVR-X2600H and the LG UBK90 4K player also connected to the Denon.
I’ve just watched the 6 Transformers movies in Dolby Vision and the flicker happens in all of them at least once. The screen goes blank for a couple of seconds and then comes back, I’ve also noticed that you can pause when this happens and wait for the image to come back. I remember that this did not happen some time ago with older firmware.
Does anyone know something about solving this? Does LG plan on doing something?
Thanks for any help

That's all I've got sorry, don't game on PS5. But you should definitely be able to play WZ@120Hz. Hopefully someone with a PS5 can help

Ok no worries thanks anyway, another question is it best to change hdmi to pc mode?
I had it set to PC mode before moving my gaming on to the CX and continue to do so on that. There's no downsides to have it enabled that I'm aware of.

This may have been covered in earlier posts and I have also posted in the B7 owners forum (I have both C9 and B7 TV's)

I have two LG OLED TV's. A 65 inch C9 and a 55 inch B7. The 'Back' function no longer works on either TV using either of the remotes.

I contacted LG and they suggested the solution is to buy two new remotes!!

I think the likelyhood of both remotes having exactly the same fault and exactly the same time is highly unlikely.

On the OLED65 C9PLA the software version is 05.10.25

Any thought, comments or suggested solutions or similar issues would be welcomed

Sorry for cross posting
Thanks McMac

This may have been covered in earlier posts and I have also posted in the B7 owners forum (I have both C9 and B7 TV's)

I have two LG OLED TV's. A 65 inch C9 and a 55 inch B7. The 'Back' function no longer works on either TV using either of the remotes.

I think the likelyhood of both remotes having exactly the same fault and exactly the same time is highly unlikely.

Any thought, comments or suggested solutions or similar issues would be welcomed

Sorry for cross posting
Thanks McMac
Dunno. Mine is working fine and I'm on the latest firmware and presumably no one else is having this issue as no one has replied or posted any similar issue on this forum. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry for cross posting
Thanks McMac

I've a 55" C9 here and the back button works as expected. The firmware is the most current.

Dunno. Mine is working fine and I'm on the latest firmware and presumably no one else is having this issue as no one has replied or posted any similar issue on this forum. 🤷‍♂️
All sorted. The two remotes had been muddled up. The remote for the B7 was being used on the C9 and vice versa. The different versions worked exactly the same except the back button.
Feel a bit stupid and had a laugh about it. I have apologised to LG and they had a laugh as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom