LG OLED C9 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Can anyone check if Atmos or Dolby Vision is available on the forms of getting the prime app (firestick, shield, etc) , maybe we're just getting shafted as C9 owners.

I cannot confirm it because I don't own these devices, but it is looking as though this isn't specific to LG or the C9. It is increasingly looking as though Amazon have dropped Atmos and Dolby Vision from their service entirely?

At least it's not just LG tv owners.
In these modern times of software updates, streaming and digital content it seems to me things we've paid for can be taken away or made worse and we all agree to the end user agreement. When you used to buy something as in a tv or a bluray disc, it worked as advertised. If it never you didn't buy it, now you can have the rug pulled from underneath you at anytime. I much preferred how it used to be, everyone knew where they stood.
Right I'm going to take my rose tinted spectacles off now.

Hi,

I have CX, I invite you to test it and tell me if you see macroblocking

Euphoria, season 1, episode 1, 10m:19s (HBO PROGRAM)

as soon as I activate gamma 2.2 and increase the brightness, that's the problem, please test at your home please :(

Thx

Attachments

• 009-EF1-D5-1568-40-D3-AB12-27630-C11657-A.jpg
    009-EF1-D5-1568-40-D3-AB12-27630-C11657-A.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 105
Not sure if anyone streams music from their phone to TV using Amazon music. Mine stopped working on both my 55C9 and 60UM7100 - I think it may have been the recent TV software updates that did it.
After trying many times to relink my ThinQ account to my Amazon account and rediscover the TV's on my mobiles Alexa app without success ia was about to give up. I then went to the Alexa app on the TV and signed out and then back in and success - this worked.
Hopefully this may save a bit of wasted time and frustration for someone.

My C9 is only 6 weeks old so cant comment on that, but I had my C6 for 4 years and played games on that for many many hours, including ones with static huds, and never had any hint of an issue. Those on ebay that I have seen with screen burn mainly seem to have been damaged by 24 hour news tickers or static channel identifiers (Cbeebies seems to be quite a common one!). I suspect those with issues have also been using 'vivid' picture settings rather than the ISF dark (or the HDR equivalents) which is close to reference and is what you should be using. Instant game response on C9 means you can use ISF dark etc. without any increase in input latency of game mode.

O that's one thing I won't have to worry about is news channels at least. I get all my news on my phone well let's say 99% of it anyways. Nope news channel logos will not be the problem. I might also watch one football match maybe 2 a week that's it so football scores logo shouldn't be a problem.

Only thing I'll have to really stop doing is using my xbox as my home hub. (I run everything on my xbox). All my apps I use etc. Because I know the xbox won't go dark or move the screen. So I know I'm better off using the TV apps like bbc I player etc.

As for games. I do mostly mix it up. I play for let's say work days 4 hours or so. Weekends more. (if I'm honest). I can't play the same game all day tho. That would drive me crazy. Sooo for someone like me would oled be a good choice or no no?. Its ok if its a no I'd rather ppl on here be honest). And like I said before I will absolutely be buying the extended warranty that covers burn in for up to 5 years. Be crazy not to. For as much piece of mind as possible.

O that's one thing I won't have to worry about is news channels at least. I get all my news on my phone well let's say 99% of it anyways. Nope news channel logos will not be the problem. I might also watch one football match maybe 2 a week that's it so football scores logo shouldn't be a problem.

Only thing I'll have to really stop doing is using my xbox as my home hub. (I run everything on my xbox). All my apps I use etc. Because I know the xbox won't go dark or move the screen. So I know I'm better off using the TV apps like bbc I player etc.

As for games. I do mostly mix it up. I play for let's say work days 4 hours or so. Weekends more. (if I'm honest). I can't play the same game all day tho. That would drive me crazy. Sooo for someone like me would oled be a good choice or no no?. Its ok if its a no I'd rather ppl on here be honest). And like I said before I will absolutely be buying the extended warranty that covers burn in for up to 5 years. Be crazy not to. For as much piece of mind as possible.

Based on my experience with the C6 (which was more prone to burn in than the latest LG oleds) I don’t think you will have any issues.

I am finding hdr10 looks better than dolby vision on my set. Dolby vision seems washed out at the darker end.
I'm not sure what it is. But when watching dolby vision I find myself switching between 47-49 brightness. Hdr10 I keep at 50 and have no problem.

Anyone else finding this? I read some people saying it's the way the movies are mastered, or that sdr doesn't have the dynamic range of dolby vision etc... But this is something I have not noticed with hdr10.

I am finding hdr10 looks better than dolby vision on my set. Dolby vision seems washed out at the darker end.
I'm not sure what it is. But when watching dolby vision I find myself switching between 47-49 brightness. Hdr10 I keep at 50 and have no problem.

Anyone else finding this? I read some people saying it's the way the movies are mastered, or that sdr doesn't have the dynamic range of dolby vision etc... But this is something I have not noticed with hdr10.

DV looks great in my environment using OOTB Cinema preset, which is pretty accurate in terms of calibration. HDR10 also looks great, but on the titles I've watched so far, I prefer DV.

Last edited:
How often should one do pixel refresh?
Cheers.
Unless you have a problem with the panel then I wouldn’t force the Oled to do it. As the TV does it automatically every 2000 hours. Pixel refresh is a deep clean and can prematurely age the panel if applied unnecessarily.
Just put the TV in standby each night and it will do an automatic light panel clean after every 4 hours of normal use.

When the new Xbox and PS5 get released, will this TV be capable of 4K 120fps?

The basic answer to that one is that no one really knows until they've actually had the chance to try it. In theory, the C9 models should be able to fgascilitate this, but LG haven't exactly been answering the question when put to them directly.

Yes, As it's HDMI 2.1 :thumbsup:

No, the inclusion of HDMI 2.1 doesn't automatically mean the device inclusive of that HDMI chipset will have the ability to portray 4K/120p. Show me where LG say that the TVs in question have this ability. More specifically, show me where they answer anyone asking the specific question as to compatability with an answer that says yes. Does the inclusive of an HDMI version 2.1 compliant chipset also mean that the TV will handle and display 8K content. Your post appears to suggest that this would be the case, just because 8K is included within the HDMI version 2.1 dpecs????

No, the inclusion of HDMI 2.1 doesn't automatically mean the device inclusive of that HDMI chipset will have the ability to portray 4K/120p. Show me where LG say that the TVs in question have this ability. More specifically, show me where they answer anyone asking the specific question as to compatability with an answer that says yes. Does the inclusive of an HDMI version 2.1 compliant chipset also mean that the TV will handle and display 8K content. Your post appears to suggest that this would be the case, just because 8K is included within the HDMI version 2.1 dpecs????

calm down :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (it's only a tv)

Well I just assumed it did as It's HDMI 2.1 and has 48Gbps, that was a big factor for many people buying this tv for next gen consoles, so they could get 4k 120hz whenever that may be.
Looking at reviews and "what tv should I buy for next gen consoles" vids just about everyone says it supports it?
Didn't reviewers / testers reach out to LG and they said it would come in a firmware update?

Nothing yet out to try it with but nothing to suggest it won't support it? Time will tell I guess.

Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 23.53.13.png

Screenshot 2020-08-02 at 00.19.19.png

Last edited:
The HDMI version 2.1 implementation onboard the LG TVs is actually limited to 40Gbps. The chipsets needed to facilitate 48Gbps don't exist and would require a custom order to get a chipset manufactururer to make them for a customer. This would substantially increase the cost of manufacturing the TV and or other devices incorporating such chipsets. Likewise, the new gen games consoles are also limited to just 40Gbps. This shouldn't however cause any issues for those with 4K TVs or even for those with 8K models just yet. There's very unlikely to be anything that needs 48Gbps for several years yet.

As I previously posted, no one knows as to whether the 4K C9 models will actually handle discrete 4K/120p video until there are actual HDMI sources outpitting such video to these TVs.

The HDMI version 2.1 implementation onboard the LG TVs is actually limited to 40Gbps. The chipsets needed to facilitate 48Gbps don't exist and would require a custom order to get a chipset manufactururer to make them for a customer. This would substantially increase the cost og manufacturing suof the TV and or other devices incorporating such chipsets. Likewise, the new gen games consoles are also limited to just 40Gbps. This shouldn't however cause any issues for those with 4K TVs or even for those with 8K models just yet. There's very unlikely going to be anything that needs 48Gbps for several years.

AS I sid, no one knows as to whether the 4K C9 models will actually handle discrete 4K/120p video until there are actual HDMI sources outpitting such video to these TVs.
I thought the 2019 c9 can do 48Gbps while the 2020 LG oleds only do 40.. Everyone has been rattling on about that lately..
They went back to 40 for cost saving and 10bit panel tv's only requires 40Gbps anyway..

No, HDMI 2.1 wquipped device that currently exists has a chipset able to handle anything more than 40Gbps. This shouldn't cause any issues in the immediate future though because you are very unlikelty to encounter any content that needs more than 40Gbps. 10 bit 4K/120p 4:4:4 for example only needs 40Gbps.

LG's C9 models only include a 40Gbps chipset. Why the hell would they use a 48Gbps chipset onboard a 4K TV that uses a 10 bit panel?

Last edited:
No, HDMI 2.1 wquipped device that currently exists has a chipset able to handle anything more than 40Gbps. This shouldn't cause any issues in the immediate future though because you are very unlikelty to encounter any content that needs more than 40Gbps. 10 bit 4K/120p 4:4:4 for eample only needs 40Gbps.

LG's C9 models only include a 40Gbps chipset. Why the hell would they use a 48Gbps chipset onboard a 4K TV?
hdmi 2.1 ports on the c9 are capable of 48gbps

Screenshot 2020-08-02 at 01.12.34.png

Regardless. Even if they used such a chipset, what possible benefit would it give those TVs given the fact that those TVs are equipped with a 4K 10 bit panel?

So you were happy to potentially pay more for a component used in your TV that will never be able to fully utilise the element that denoted its additional cost?

Using a 48Gbps chipset is pointless given the TVs other hardware limitations.

Regardless. Even if they used such a chipset, what possible benefit would it give those TVs given the fact that those TVs are equipped with a 4K 10 bit panel?

So you were happy to potentially pay more for a component used in your TV that will never be able to fully utise the element that denoted its additional cost?
man give it a break lol. I'm saying it was 48gbps you said it wasn't and doesn't exist.. then I said you only need 40 for 10bit panels? looks see....

Screenshot 2020-08-02 at 01.33.52.png

what you going on about me being happy to pay more for 48gbps ? :rotfl: :laugh: :rolleyes:

what you going on about me being happy to pay more for 48gbps ? :rotfl: :laugh: :rolleyes:

The probability is that the additional cost of implementing the more expensive and unnecessary chipset was passed onto the consumer as opposed to being taken onboard by LG themselves.

I'd surmise this is why LG ceased implimenting 48 gig chipsets in the more recent models. Not so much because you don't need them, but because their inclusion made those TVs more expensive to manufacture. The inclusion of such chipsets will have either have bitten into LG's own profit margins or made their TV more expensive for consumers to buy. The latter is the more probable scenario as opposed to LG absorbing the additional costs.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have CX, I invite you to test it and tell me if you see macroblocking

Euphoria, season 1, episode 1, 10m:19s (HBO PROGRAM)

as soon as I activate gamma 2.2 and increase the brightness, that's the problem, please test at your home please :(

Thx

It looks similar on my CX, a lot worse on my entry level Samsung 4K LCD. It's caused by the poor HBO content. Similar issues with various episodes of Game of Thrones and The Outsider. Guess what....all of them happen to be HBO productions! Don't worry about your TV, the CX is fantastic.

Well, last night I sat down to watch Game of Thrones season 8 ep 3 The Long Night on UHD.
The last time I watched this was in my E7 via the now tv app and like most of the world, tuned in and was horrified by the video quality mess.
So the UHD on a calibrated C9 was like watching for the first time.
The detail was fantastic, I was waiting for banding and it didn’t arrive, so much detail in the storm / clouds that I originally missed. Such a shame thousands / millions missed out on what was a great episode.

Well, last night I sat down to watch Game of Thrones season 8 ep 3 The Long Night on UHD.
The last time I watched this was in my E7 via the now tv app and like most of the world, tuned in and was horrified by the video quality mess.
So the UHD on a calibrated C9 was like watching for the first time.
The detail was fantastic, I was waiting for banding and it didn’t arrive, so much detail in the storm / clouds that I originally missed. Such a shame thousands / millions missed out on what was a great episode.
I bet it looked amazing compared to the compressed mess hbo/sky pumped out at the time.
A few days after it originally aired it was available on Apple TV, obviously it's no uhd but it was way superior to the broadcast, it looked amazing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom