LG OLED C9 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Does anyone with a C9 know if the Apple TV app works in the same way as it does on the Apple TV box? In the sense that it will check BBCi player etc for content and show you all in the app? Or is that just for the Apple TV box?

Does anyone with a C9 know if the Apple TV app works in the same way as it does on the Apple TV box? In the sense that it will check BBCi player etc for content and show you all in the app? Or is that just for the Apple TV box?
That may just be for the box. The native Apple app from what I've seen just shows Apple programmes and titles you can buy. That said I've only used that app a little.

With regards to the pixel refresher.

if i schedule one it'll let me know it's been done when i turn on the tv.

I think its meant to do it automatically after so many hours. Should/would it tell me its done it? So far i've seen no mention of it in the top right corner.

65” C9 just calibrated by Jules last Sunday and last night turned on and stuck blue pixel roughly 21 inches in from the left hand side...:thumbsdow:(

Been onto Richer Sounds this morning as C9 only 5 months old with 172 hours on it. Passed over to LG. Spoke to them told me to run 2-3 pixel refresh if still there then send in photos for engineers to access...

Wonder if I can get a credit for the set and then go Panasonic? Don't want a CX with floating blacks in DV.

Update: Engineers calling me on Monday as I sent them pictures of the set and stuck pixel. Might just be a panel replacement. And bang goes my calibration...:facepalm:

View attachment 1340261
A manual Pixel refresh may fix that,also try watching some HDR content to push the panel

With regards to the pixel refresher.

if i schedule one it'll let me know it's been done when i turn on the tv.

I think its meant to do it automatically after so many hours. Should/would it tell me its done it? So far i've seen no mention of it in the top right corner.
After 2000 hrs it will do one automatically, mine did one last week.
Yes it does say its doing or done one .

I ran the Cal1 using the settings I had before. Cal6 is the one I've got right now. The greyscale adjustments are a lot easier for me to understand than the CMS. I think yellow is all over the place. I'm thinking that resetting and they just doing greyscale is the way to go. Leave the CMS alone. Advice welcome.

Typically the OOTB calibration for SDR (ISF Expert Dark) is very good, and the dE variance is so low that it's usually imperceivable. If you're getting significant variations this may be due to the measuring device/software, hence, any changes you make may be introducing bigger errors in reality, although the graphs may give the illusion that it's more accurate. This is a big challenge with DIY calibration on a display that is already very good.

Consumer OLED is WRGB rather than RGB, so it's necessary to apply the right correction for the display type in the calibration software, otherwise, the readings will be off. I've not used HCFR for a very long time, so don't know if the FIS derived WRGB OLED profile is an option, but it's worth checking.

Last edited:
Typically the OOTB calibration for SDR (ISF Expert Dark) is very good, and the dE variance is so low that it's usually imperceivable. If you're getting significant variations this may be due to the measuring device/software, hence, any changes you make may be introducing bigger errors in reality, although the graphs may give the illusion that it's more accurate. This is a big challenge with DIY calibration on a display that is already very good.

Consumer OLED is WRGB rather than RGB, so it's necessary to apply the right correction for the display type in the calibration software, otherwise, the readings will be off. I've not used HCFR for a very long time, so don't know if the FIS derived WRGB OLED profile is an option, but it's worth checking.

Thanks for the info. I reset my ISF Dark yesterday and reran the calibration. As you say the OOTB reports as accurate. I decided not to really touch the CMS and instead focus on the greyscale. I was able to make some reported improvements but as the picture was already very good I find it hard to discern improvements post calibration. I decided to calibrate to gamma 2.2 which I'm not sure was the right way to go but from reading I believe this is down to personal preference? My OLED light is set to 35 and I'm hitting 120 cd/m2 on 100% white.

From peoples comments I'm concluding home calibration on these sets with the display 1! pro isn't really going to do much and could make the picture worse or you could get lucky and make it better, fair comment? The display pro would need to be calibrated against a more expensive spectroradiometer to become reliable?

Has anyone got experience of Calman Home for LG? At $145 it could be worth investing in if results are favourable. It seems to build LUT's which should make the results more accurate but again based on the meter used.

From peoples comments I'm concluding home calibration on these sets with the display 1! pro isn't really going to do much and could make the picture worse or you could get lucky and make it better, fair comment? The display pro would need to be calibrated against a more expensive spectroradiometer to become reliable.

So many variables and repeatable device accuracy and software are big ones, plus things outside our control such as ABL on OLED. It starts to get expensive real quick, and we may be talking differences that are so small that it would be hard to tell the difference, assuming the display is good OOTB.

Has anyone got experience of Calman Home for LG? At $145 it could be worth investing in if results are favourable. It seems to build LUT's which should make the results more accurate but again based on the meter used.

If you pop over to the US AVS forum there are detailed discussion about this. Some experienced calibrators suggest there is a fundamental problem with CalMan's colour engine (3D LUTS) which leads to certain problems and image artefacts (I don't know if this is true and if so, if it's been fixed).

ConnecTed is a major contributor who also runs Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk / eeColor / LightSpace - Main Menu. May be worth reaching out and asking about his experience as he was/is? a Calman beta user but also works with other solutions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I reset my ISF Dark yesterday and reran the calibration. As you say the OOTB reports as accurate. I decided not to really touch the CMS and instead focus on the greyscale. I was able to make some reported improvements but as the picture was already very good I find it hard to discern improvements post calibration. I decided to calibrate to gamma 2.2 which I'm not sure was the right way to go but from reading I believe this is down to personal preference? My OLED light is set to 35 and I'm hitting 120 cd/m2 on 100% white.

From peoples comments I'm concluding home calibration on these sets with the display 1! pro isn't really going to do much and could make the picture worse or you could get lucky and make it better, fair comment? The display pro would need to be calibrated against a more expensive spectroradiometer to become reliable?

Hand on heart pal unless your going to the price of the tv on a second hand spectro I would not bother paying for software.
As fun as calibrating your tv is if your were to add up the cost of the kit ,software and hours needed to learn how to do i and then the hours of actually doing it , then work out if you did your day job for that amount of hours you spent on calibration it would probably add up to pay for pro calibrations on your next 10 years of TVs .
I've been there and got the t-shirt mate , bit back when I did it SDR was the only calibration you could do, now with HDR , Dolby vision 3d luts and tonemapping its just not worth the hassle .
SDR is now not worth doing on these sets anyways as there so accurate but HDR and DV is not so accurate and would benefit from a calibration but only with very expensive kit and software .
Save your time , money and sanity and get someome like canary jules to do it for you

Last edited:
Thanks @Parry I take your point. I can see it is a rabbit hole. I have enjoyed the process and learning so it's not wasted time in that sense. pro calibration may be on the cards.

I can see it is a rabbit hole. I have enjoyed the process and learning so it's not wasted time in that sense. pro calibration may be on the cards.

I've been down that rabbit hole, spent a lot on spectros, 3 LUT hardware etc, and also tried the pro cal route first. On the C9 I've decided to just enjoy the OOTB experience, largely because even pro calibration can't overcome some of the hard wired features of the display. HDR and DV is very good OOTB, as is SDR when using the right preset.

Feel like I am getting the runaround from LG with regards to replacing or whatever they decide to do about the stuck blue pixels on my 5 month old 65”C9 OLED.
Customer service just told me that because of the size of my TV and location (London) they have no one in the area that can do the repair. And I am a level 2 issue, whatever that means. And there was a delay or missed communication between whoever they are dealing with. Told I just have to wait.
Basically how long is a piece of string, on what or when my C9 will be fixed,replaced,credit note....Who knows...??
And Richard Sounds have completely washed their hands of the whole matter.
To say I’m frustrated is an understatement.

Last edited:
Feel like I am getting the runaround from LG with regards to replacing or whatever they decide to do about the stuck blue pixels on my 5 month old C9.
Customer service just told me that because of the size of my TV and location (London) they have no one in the area that can do the repair. And I am a level 2 issue, whatever that means. And there was a delay or missed communication between whoever they are dealing with. Told I just have to wait.
Basically how long is a piece of string, on what or when my C9 will be fixed,replaced,credit note....Who knows...??

@Richer Sounds this doesn't make good reading. It shouldn't be left to the customer to do all the leg work when there is an issue in the first months of ownership.

Feel like I am getting the runaround from LG with regards to replacing or whatever they decide to do about the stuck blue pixels on my 5 month old 65”C9 OLED.

I'm sure @Richer Sounds will be along and you will get sorted fairly soon..(then you will be happy and praising them :rotfl: )
But it should have been sorted by their staff straight away.. for a 5 months old tv they are taking the p1ss
This is why I hate RS.. RS Telesales are also the UKs slimiest :smoke:

I'm sure @Richer Sounds will be along and you will get sorted fairly soon..(then you will be happy and praising them :rotfl: )
But it should have been sorted by their staff straight away.. for a 5 months old tv they are taking the p1ss
This is why I hate RS.. RS Telesales are also the UKs slimiest :smoke:
Just spoke to Richard Sounds explained the runaround by LG and now being told to contact RS customer service department and explain again my issue. Then they will call LG for me.

And the saga continues!!
Spoke to RS CS and they said they have no more power than I do with regards to getting things moving...Really?
I am loosing my mind here...

I mean the TV is just 5 months old. And I am having to do all the leg work.
It’s not like I am after this years model for a replacement just a working within spec fit for purpose 65” OLED. Which mine clearly is not.
I mean they have no one who covers the London area. Then offer me a credit note and collect my C9..

@Richer Sounds

Last edited:
Just spoke to Richard Sounds explained the runaround by LG and now being told to contact RS customer service department and explain again my issue. Then they will call LG for me.

And the saga continues!!
Spoke to RS CS and they said they have no more power than I do with regards to getting things moving...Really?
I am loosing my mind here...

I mean the TV is just 5 months old. And I am having to do all the leg work.
It’s not like I am after this years model for a replacement just a working within spec fit for purpose 65” OLED. Which mine clearly is not.
I mean they have no one who covers the London area. Then offer me a credit note and collect my C9..

This is bogus by @Richer Sounds

I have never had this issue dealing with the likes of JL and even Curry’s. It is within the 1st year, there shouldn’t be any debate, @Richer Sounds should take full responsibility.

This is bogus by @Richer Sounds

I have never had this issue dealing with the likes of JL and even Curry’s. It is within the 1st year, there shouldn’t be any debate, @Richer Sounds should take full responsibility.
I agree. But the manager of the Holborn Branch in London has basically walked away and left me to whistle in the wind. And I have spent nearly £4000 in that store this year alone..
I am really disappointed and frustrated with the handling or lack of from RS Holborn..

I have the 2019 shield pro and I have mine set to 4K 24fps with Dolby vision enabled.

There's no real point to setting your Shield Pro to 24fps. You just get a slow UI. I presume you have a C9 as you are active on this thread?
Kodi will switch the TV automatically (if you switch on refresh rate switching in the options) so no need to set the Shield to 24p for anything played via Kodi.
When viewing Netflix if you have real cinema enabled on your C9 the TV will perform the correct pulldown (5 x 24 into 120hz) so it will all look correct at the default 4k/59.94 Dolby Vision enabled setting.

That way you get a smooth UI and proper fidelity. 🙂

Spoke to RS in Holborn again and they are 100% Not going to do anything. I have to deal with LG on my own and basically take it or leave it...
No fix date in sight any time soon. LG saying the size of the panel and trying to find someone to do the job in London :(
I will never shop at RS again. I may as well have thrown £1799 out the window...

There's no real point to setting your Shield Pro to 24fps. You just get a slow UI. I presume you have a C9 as you are active on this thread?
Kodi will switch the TV automatically (if you switch on refresh rate switching in the options) so no need to set the Shield to 24p for anything played via Kodi.
When viewing Netflix if you have real cinema enabled on your C9 the TV will perform the correct pulldown (5 x 24 into 120hz) so it will all look correct at the default 4k/59.94 Dolby Vision enabled setting.

That way you get a smooth UI and proper fidelity. 🙂

Hi, yes I have a C9. I have been using Plex. Do you know if that does the same as Kodi? I used to use Kodi but now find Plex more user friendly. Even adding my NAS folders in Kodi is a pain.

I don't have Netflix.

Thanks.

Hi, yes I have a C9. I have been using Plex. Do you know if that does the same as Kodi?

As far as I know Plex does do refresh rate switching so that would be fine, might need to enable it in the settings though.

I use an excellent little app called Refresh
Rate from the Play Store. This allows you to set frame rate for particular apps.
I use this to set BBCiPlayer, ITV Hub and My 5 so they all start at 4k/50hz (native UK framerate). 50hz does not go into 120hz cleanly so it won't look right.
Most other frame rates do though which is why the default 4k/59.94 works fine.

Spoke to RS in Holborn again and they are 100% Not going to do anything. I have to deal with LG on my own and basically take it or leave it...
No fix date in sight any time soon. LG saying the size of the panel and trying to find someone to do the job in London :(
I will never shop at RS again. I may as well have thrown £1799 out the window...
Total wnkers
credit card or PayPal dispute? might make them move?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom