LG OLED C9 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Tempted to do this as well on my CX, if the app is updated on that as well, I only use my Apple TV 4k for Netflix and some purchased movies from Apple.
Take it no difference in PQ.
I have always preferred the internal apps. More convenient. I may have been a bit hasty boxing up my Apple TV 4K, one of my local catch-up services is not available on Lg’s App Store. Rarely watch it so if I get a good offer on the Apple TV I will let it go.

Hi everyone,

Just joined the brigade and grabbed a 65C9 last week, upgrading from a Panansonic 50VT60 plasma. My first OLED so not sure what to expect for uniformity but I've had it running long enough to do the slide test

Can any of you tell if mine's a good one or should it be sent back?

There is a thick band to the right of centre and some mild yellow tint on the left. I haven't been able to pick them out in content really. I did do the stress test on Marco Polo and I could see it but mostly because I knew it was there and it wasn't overly distracting.
I've heard that sometimes these thicker bands can reduce anyway with time? Is this true?
Anything I should use to check for the tint?

What do you guys reckon? Thanks in advance :)
The bands will most likely not disappear if you have had a few compensation cycles (every 4 hrs worth of viewing). My old E7 had the same bands throughout its life and after the big 2000 hr cycle, gained a few more.
So you tried Marco and can or cant see it, if you cant, forget about it, your all good.

Tint wise, any black and white content or snow scenes will show it at its worst, or if vertical football, the green pitch would look different.

If you don't see it in content, don't worry about it. I went through many E7's to get a half decent one from a tint perspective, but then suffered from the banding issue.
Current C9 is band free (or as good as) which is great for dark panning shots, but I do have a slight red tint area on the right-hand side (that I'm happy to live with, iphone has the same), rarely see it unless there is a large white scene and then you can notice a slight colour change.

If both are distracting and you have been through the comp cycles (and you do see banding in content) I'd consider swapping out if you have the option otherwise you may torment yourself.

I'd consider swapping out if you have the option otherwise you may torment yourself.
You torment yourself as soon as you go looking for this stuff. Can't see it in any normal content, but now know it's there.

Best to test your TV with content that you watch. Can't see any issues, then there's nothing to worry about, sleep tight.

You torment yourself as soon as you go looking for this stuff. Can't see it in any normal content, but now know it's there.

Best to test your TV with content that you watch. Can't see any issues, then there's nothing to worry about, sleep tight.
I do agree, but the issue is, Marco, the OA, Ozark...I’d consider normal content.
I noticed it across a lot of dark content as the years went by, even ota programmes, UHD’s so it wasn’t all streamed (and possibly poor bitrate) content.
While I agree on looking for it on purpose may highlight an issue you can’t unsee (so why do it) if you have a small return window you need to act fast and not wait for it to appear normally as it may then be too late, by that stage you’re kicking yourself for it acting faster.
You do run the risk of swapping what may not be too bad for a shocker, so it is a gamble.
Of course extended warranties help, but they may not swap panels, so the easiest option is within the first month..
It’s really a shame we have to do this in the first place, but mass production and all that ....

I do agree, but the issue is, Marco, the OA, Ozark...I’d consider normal content.
I noticed it across a lot of dark content as the years went by, even ota programmes, UHD’s so it wasn’t all streamed (and possibly poor bitrate) content.
While I agree on looking for it on purpose may highlight an issue you can’t unsee (so why do it) if you have a small return window you need to act fast and not wait for it to appear normally as it may then be too late, by that stage you’re kicking yourself for it acting faster.
You do run the risk of swapping what may not be too bad for a shocker, so it is a gamble.
Of course extended warranties help, but they may not swap panels, so the easiest option is within the first month..
It’s really a shame we have to do this in the first place, but mass production and all that ....
This is one the my biggest annoyance with big screen TV's, is this "panel lottery" crap. It's being going on years. I had to send back 3 Samsung sets 6 years ago (costing €3,500) to finally get a set without terrible banding and that was after they made me jump through hoops to prove it.

We are paying "thousands" for these sets and manufacturers are taking the piss releasing such expensive products with crap quality control. It's actually the main thing that seriously worries me above everything else when purchasing a new TV, knowing that the odds are I'll probably go through this again.

What is even more annoying is the complete (or intentionally misleading) lack of knowledge from all stages of sales, to engineers, to manufactures themselves who don't know or claim not to even know what banding or DSE is. I had to explain to many Samsung support agents and sales people in the bloody shops what it was. Manufactures should get their act together and people should hold them to account for this and not shrug it off as just "one of those things".

Why do I only get the instant game response on HDR not on SDR games
Xbox1

I have always preferred the internal apps. More convenient. I may have been a bit hasty boxing up my Apple TV 4K, one of my local catch-up services is not available on Lg’s App Store. Rarely watch it so if I get a good offer on the Apple TV I will let it go.
When I heard Atmos update was coming (expected it year end though), I sold my ATV last month for £20 less than I paid for it a few years back.
The only thing I miss is the iTunes extras (can watch them on my phone though).
I haven’t tested the update to see if it is now available, would be a nice bonus.

Thanks, I like the apple remote, I may try the internal apps for a little while see how I find them and using the LG remote.

The bands will most likely not disappear if you have had a few compensation cycles (every 4 hrs worth of viewing). My old E7 had the same bands throughout its life and after the big 2000 hr cycle, gained a few more.
So you tried Marco and can or cant see it, if you cant, forget about it, your all good.

Tint wise, any black and white content or snow scenes will show it at its worst, or if vertical football, the green pitch would look different.

If you don't see it in content, don't worry about it. I went through many E7's to get a half decent one from a tint perspective, but then suffered from the banding issue.
Current C9 is band free (or as good as) which is great for dark panning shots, but I do have a slight red tint area on the right-hand side (that I'm happy to live with, iphone has the same), rarely see it unless there is a large white scene and then you can notice a slight colour change.

If both are distracting and you have been through the comp cycles (and you do see banding in content) I'd consider swapping out if you have the option otherwise you may torment yourself.

Will do some more testing with torture scenes for banding and look for tint.
If I can't notice it that much I'll keep it.
The problem is with stocks low might be difficult to get a swap out.
The CX doesn't appeal mainly for no pass though of dts and no freeview play.

Anyone confirmed that it's 4k?
Its always been 4K with HDR, the LG flag appears (HDR/Dolby Vision) when playing content, but my receiver has always stated DD+, its now stating Atmos

I've been searching to find if setting sharpness to 0 is recommended? It's set up as:
SDR content - ISF Dark with default settings apart from switching Trumotion off.
HDR 10 - Cinema with default settings apart from switching off noise reductions, smooth gradation and Dynamic Tone Mapping.
Dolby Vision - Cinema with default settings.

Glad to see with these presets the majority of unnecessary settings are switched off, but was unsure if the default sharpness value of 10 was considered post processing. I'm probably overthinking it. Watch in a mostly dim or dark room with excellent results so far, although the screen may be a tad too dim. The bright room presets make a difference but don't look as natural.

Strange I've just checked now and it's definitely coming on on the home screen on the xbox when I change to that input
I needed to switch the resolution to 4K to get instant game response to pop up, I had it on 1440p and 120 but on 4K I only get 60
Doesn't C9 support 4K 120?

It better (and is advertised to) support 4K 120Hz for the PS5!

Last edited:
Its always been 4K with HDR, the LG flag appears (HDR/Dolby Vision) when playing content, but my receiver has always stated DD+, its now stating Atmos
Cool, I only ever used the actual Apple TV but that might change now. Can't see much advantage to it if the app is 4k, HDR and Atmos.

The only thing it lacks are the movie extras, still doesn’t appear so you’d need another Apple device (phone etc) to watch them if you are into that. In fairness, I’m sure there are plenty of other apps on the ATV that LG don’t support but I was only using my ATV for purchased iTunes movies and Netflix (as audio was meant to have higher bitrate, but the 24p stutter was too annoying for me so went back to internal tv app, some say it’s fixed on ATV now, others say it’s not) so it’s easier for me to just use the TVs inbuilt apps.

Just remembered the C9 supports AirPlay 2, so from the dashboard I enabled airplay and was able to stream the iTunes extras (that don’t work on the C9 appletv app) from my iPhone to the C9 - sorted !

hey guys, still loving my 65" c9. BUT it's feeling a bit portable in size these days, anyone know of people selling off old stock of 77" models? :)

Still trying to find a 55” model myself : / literally two weeks ago there were quite a few kicking around. Now there is no sign of them anywhere : (

Hi everyone,

Just joined the brigade and grabbed a 65C9 last week, upgrading from a Panansonic 50VT60 plasma.
Interesting. I would be upgrading from a VT60 as well. How are you finding the oled in comparison? Is it brighter than our VT60’s?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom