LG OLED C9 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

There is definitely brightness variations between sets but not much between the 15 odd oleds I have calibrated .
That being said these newer sets are considerably brighter than my 2017 set
The main difference from a calibrated set will be if he raised contrast as this also affects the brightness .
Was your contrast raised ?

If you use dark room and default contrast, brightness, gamma 1886,and set oled light at 25 and measure nits, what is you nitscaat then?

I didn’t have any problems when I played videos from my iPad to the tv using AirPlay.
I didn’t have to change any settings in the tv or iPad to get it to play without any problems. Sorry I can’t really help you but just letting you know I could screen mirror successfully to the tv.
It's my Wifi causing the issue. I've just turned off my BT Whole Home disc's and turned on the routers built in Wifi, the mirroring was much better.

There is definitely brightness variations between sets but not much between the 15 odd oleds I have calibrated .
That being said these newer sets are considerably brighter than my 2017 set
The main difference from a calibrated set will be if he raised contrast as this also affects the brightness .
Was your contrast raised ?

So my guess by going from the video I posted 100nits oled light 22,120nits oled light 28

Can you measure dark room OOTB settings and set oled light at 22 and 28 to see how much nits you get on your tv

So my guess by going from the video I posted 100nits oled light 22,120nits oled light 28

Can you measure dark room OOTB settings and set oled light at 22 and 28 to see how much nits you get on your tv
I thought you had a calibrator? You said YOUR calibrator said 20 oled was 100 nits .
I don't sold my meter last year pal I borrowed one last week to calibrated my set .
I set the oled light at what looked good to my eyes then calibrated it from there .
35 oled May well be 140 nits as that's what I had my c7 calibrated at which was oled 40 on that set.
Peak light out on my c7 was o my about 660 nits ,on my 65c9 it 790 nits .
I have measured 100 nits difference on 2 of the same model before .
I00 nits is not a level fo brightness I have ever been happy with and always gonna a little higher like 130-40.

I thought you had a calibrator? You said YOUR calibrator said 20 oled was 100 nits .
I don't sold my meter last year pal I borrowed one last week to calibrated my set .
I set the oled light at what looked good to my eyes then calibrated it from there .
35 oled May well be 140 nits as that's what I had my c7 calibrated at which was oled 40 on that set.
Peak light out on my c7 was o my about 660 nits ,on my 65c9 it 790 nits .
I have measured 100 nits difference on 2 of the same model before .
I00 nits is not a level fo brightness I have ever been happy with and always gonna a little higher like 130-40.
No he has not been here yet, he is coming this month
.no I asked him what to set oled light to get closer to 100 nits and he said between 18-21.
140 nits to bright for me in a dark room.

No he has not been here yet, he is coming this month
.no I asked him what to set oled light to get closer to 100 nits and he said between 18-21.
140 nits to bright for me in a dark room.
100 nits is dark but your eyes do adjust quickly in a dark room . I would rather watch a movie in a dark room at low nits than in HDR

Personally all your really low OLED light settings just makes watching generally tv miserable. Iv reset dark room to default and left it alone. It still a bit dark sometimes. However on quality content it is much better. I think the solution is you need to change the settings depending on what you are viewing along with your personal opinion.

Can I ask if you have a TV calibrated does the person include you in setting it up. So do they calibrate the TV using electronic devices, environment of TV and what the customer perceives to be a good image?.

Personally all your really low OLED light settings just makes watching generally tv miserable. Iv reset dark room to default and left it alone. It still a bit dark sometimes. However on quality content it is much better. I think the solution is you need to change the settings depending on what you are viewing along with your personal opinion.

Can I ask if you have a TV calibrated does the person include you in setting it up. So do they calibrate the TV using electronic devices, environment of TV and what the customer perceives to be a good image?.
Got no problem with low oled light at 21 plenty bright and movies are shot in 100 nits so no need for a brighter picture.i am watching tv not a lamp.

A pro calibrator can calibrate to your preference if you like or to the standard which movies are made like

Adjusting the settings for what ever your watching goes against the whole idea of a calibration
almost all content is produced to meet a set standard, that standard is matched by the calibration so you see the content as it was intended .
Your viewing environment is taken into consideration by the calibrator
If your using expert darkroom with default settings you very close to pro calibration pal , if 60 oled looks best to you thats what's best
You could also adjust your gamma setting to 2.2 if you really what more detail in darker scenes.
It is day time setting really but if your watching in a bright room you may prefer it

Last edited:

The point of calibration, surely, is that it sets certain parameters to agreed fixed points, therefore giving you the most accurate picture measured by those parameters. It's not about setting the TV up to how you like it - you'd be wasting your money if that's what you want as you can do that yourself - just play with the settings until you get a picture you really like and then stop worrying about it.

I considered having it done when I got the C9 but there's just no point as I know, having tried hard to live with the unadulterated "accurate" picture modes that I wouldn't be able to live with them. I don't change much (and I use ISF Bright room for SDR) but what I do change is essential FOR ME.

Having earc enabled fixed my lip sync issues , try turning off tru motion

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is it necessary to have an eARC enabled AVR connected for that to work?

The point of calibration, surely, is that it sets certain parameters to agreed fixed points, therefore giving you the most accurate picture measured by those parameters. It's not about setting the TV up to how you like it - you'd be wasting your money if that's what you want as you can do that yourself - just play with the settings until you get a picture you really like and then stop worrying about it.

I considered having it done when I got the C9 but there's just no point as I know, having tried hard to live with the unadulterated "accurate" picture modes that I wouldn't be able to live with them. I don't change much (and I use ISF Bright room for SDR) but what I do change is essential FOR ME.
Yes that is completely true, but my calibrator have told me stories about people who had ordered calibration wants it calibrated to there preference and not to a accurate
calibration

I can't wait to get my set calibrated, my calibrator did awesome calibration on my B7

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is it necessary to have an eARC enabled AVR connected for that to work?
Not a stupid question dude , No apparently not I cannot find the atical on it as there were some limitations, my amp is not earc and working perfectly
Obviously some higher quality sound formats wont pass through.

Last edited:
Not a stupid question dude , No apparently not I cannot find the atical on it as there were some limitations, my amp is not earc and working perfectly
Obviously some higher quality sound formats wont pass through.
Thanks, I’ll give it a go as I’ve been getting sound sync issues on the internal apps.

3 weeks in and have a dead pixel already! One bright green pixel in the bottom left. Not noticeable except on black. Can I fix this or does it need to be returned?

Hi guys,

I purchased a 65" E9. But as the OS and Panel are more or less the same I thought I'd ask here as this thread seems to be more populated. I'm wondering if there are any settings or features I should toggle from the get go?

Thanks guys!

3 weeks in and have a dead pixel already! One bright green pixel in the bottom left. Not noticeable except on black. Can I fix this or does it need to be returned?
Worth running pixel refresh. If still there then it should go back. Good luck

Hi Guys, coming from a Sony A1 65” i must say it was a delight to unbox my c9 yesterday. Most difference is the outstanding DV playback. But I have have a challenge with my Beosound stage soundbar, I can just nearly hear it at volume 35, do any of you guys know why that would be?

Just got a C9. Can i use a 4TB HDD with this TV? LG's site states 2TB but read somewhere you can actually use a 4TB (or bigger)?
Can someone confirm if I can use 4TB HDD please before I buy one?
Thanks in advance.

Hi my software version is currently at 04.71.05
Is this the latest firmware it should be on ???
Did a check for updates and none were available !!!
Can anyone comment on this please

Hi my software version is currently at 04.71.05
Is this the latest firmware it should be on ???
Did a check for updates and none were available !!!
Can anyone comment on this please
That's the current firmware

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom