LG OLED C9 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I really need some input here. Watching movies in HDR from an HDD or directly via my PC looks so bad. Picture looks completely lifeless, washed out blacks in every scene and dull sepia toned colors. Was really looking forward to seeing what HDR was all about.

Tried just about any setting, but can't get it to look as good as SDR on isf dark. Best I could manage was using cinema preset with Color Gamut on wide and brightness from 50 to 48. Also changed from Warm 2 to Medium.

Just watched Doctor Sleep in 4k HDR10 and the blacks was extremely elevated. Looked more grayish than black. The brightness is also very weird, using the recommended preset settings of 100 oled light and 100 contrast makes the image so bright that I got an headache.. My understanding was that HDR would be dimmer than SDR?

What's the deal here? Is it supposed to look like this?
Sounds like a mismatch with your HDMI black level setting in picture setting . Should be set to high for pc

I really need some input here. Watching movies in HDR from an HDD or directly via my PC looks so bad. Picture looks completely lifeless, washed out blacks in every scene and dull sepia toned colors. Was really looking forward to seeing what HDR was all about.
Sounds like your not sending a hdr signal to the tv, does the hdr banner appear in the top right when you play a film?.
It sounds like what I experienced when attempting to playback an HDR file and the HDR metadata didn’t kick in.

If you’re not seeing the HDR banner pop up when you first begin playback, then that’s it. Check the file/codec format compatibility of the C9 (video, audio and container).

I got the 65C9 in November and have been using the Netflix and Amazon Prime apps.

The Amazon app has always exhibited problems, stating no Internet connection, although Netflix would work fine each time with no stuttering, loss of quality or buffering. Sometimes the Amazon app takes 2-3 tries to get it working.

In the last week, Netflix has started to play in really low quality and buffer every few minutes where it could take a couple of minutes to start playing again. I checked my Internet connection was good (I get 80Mbps down consistently) and played back Netflix on a computer with a 27" screen and iPad in HD with no problems.

I switched to the Sky Q Netflix app when the TV app was buffering and that played back with no problems. I'm not certain how the Sky Q app is streaming but I'm assuming it's using the Internet connection rather than satellite.

Both Sky Q and the TV are using a wifi connection.

If this is the case, I'm putting this down to a problem with the TV apps rather than the Internet connection based on the evidence.

I've checked the TV apps are on the latest version, and when I had the most recent problems with Netflix and Amazon, the Apple TV app became available and I was able to install that and it worked fine while the Amazon app was stating no Internet connection.

Anyone else been seeing issues like this and come up with any fixes?

I got the 65C9 in November and have been using the Netflix and Amazon Prime apps.

The Amazon app has always exhibited problems, stating no Internet connection, although Netflix would work fine each time with no stuttering, loss of quality or buffering. Sometimes the Amazon app takes 2-3 tries to get it working.

In the last week, Netflix has started to play in really low quality and buffer every few minutes where it could take a couple of minutes to start playing again. I checked my Internet connection was good (I get 80Mbps down consistently) and played back Netflix on a computer with a 27" screen and iPad in HD with no problems.

I switched to the Sky Q Netflix app when the TV app was buffering and that played back with no problems. I'm not certain how the Sky Q app is streaming but I'm assuming it's using the Internet connection rather than satellite.

Both Sky Q and the TV are using a wifi connection.

If this is the case, I'm putting this down to a problem with the TV apps rather than the Internet connection based on the evidence.

I've checked the TV apps are on the latest version, and when I had the most recent problems with Netflix and Amazon, the Apple TV app became available and I was able to install that and it worked fine while the Amazon app was stating no Internet connection.

Anyone else been seeing issues like this and come up with any fixes?
Sounds like wifi interference, try changing wifi channel on your router

Sounds like your not sending a hdr signal to the tv, does the hdr banner appear in the top right when you play a film?. I’ve not used a pc on this tv yet so maybe there’s settings in windows you need to tweak as hdr is very good on the c9 with unreal black levels.

I was first thinking that that was it, but the HDR logo does pop up.

Sounds like a mismatch with your HDMI black level setting in picture setting . Should be set to high for pc

I’m not using HDMI. The HDD is plugged right into the tv and the PC is connected via smart share. Both look the same.

Currently trying to acclimatise to the ISF Expert (dark room) preset.

I noticed last night when watching 'Spy' on Channel 4, the screen darkened. And I mean some darker parts of the film were hard to see.

I only put it on as I was bored, waiting to watch the Oscars. I checked it on Netflix and it is exactly the same.

I'm going to try a different film later but, is there something happening in the background when watching a film to make this happen? What does 'real cinema' do for instance?

If the darkened image wasn't due to a setting it must just be that film.

Sounds like wifi interference, try changing wifi channel on your router

Thanks Parry, the wifi channel has been set to the best available already. Maybe the TV has a weaker wifi radio than the other devices to cause this. I'd be experiencing problems elsewhere if it was general wifi interference. I have a mesh network which provides good coverage throughout the home.

Currently trying to acclimatise to the ISF Expert (dark room) preset.

I noticed last night when watching 'Spy' on Channel 4, the screen darkened. And I mean some darker parts of the film were hard to see.

I only put it on as I was bored, waiting to watch the Oscars. I checked it on Netflix and it is exactly the same.

I'm going to try a different film later but, is there something happening in the background when watching a film to make this happen? What does 'real cinema' do for instance?

If the darkened image wasn't due to a setting it must just be that film.

It’s a setting called ASBL that you need to turn off in the service menu.

I have a LG55C9 with firmware 04.71.05 that has a problem with screen mirroring.
Any video played from iOS or Android devices to the TV via screen mirroring stutters, sometimes the audio drops and occasionally the picture freezes. It doesn't matter if the content is stored on the device or streamed, the result is always the same; juddering, choppy video.
I've looked at other forums here:
lgcommunity.us.com

Airplay stuttering and choppy audio
When trying to stream video via Airplay to my LG C9, the audio and video both stutter. When using Airplay with my Apple TV it's fine.
lgcommunity.us.com
lgcommunity.us.com
They report the same issues.

extra info:
My TV is wired directly to the router with 3 meters of cat 5e. My Wifi is fine, no interference. I have a 330mbps FTTP internet connection, anything played via the inbuilt TV apps works absolutely fine.
Iv'e rebooted everything, tried numerous different iPhones from visitors, the result is the same.

My question: Has anyone managed to screen mirror video successfully to the C9?
Thanks for your help
I didn’t have any problems when I played videos from my iPad to the tv using AirPlay.
I didn’t have to change any settings in the tv or iPad to get it to play without any problems. Sorry I can’t really help you but just letting you know I could screen mirror successfully to the tv.

Thanks Billy
Did you just swipe up on the ipad and then click 'Screen Mirroring' then select your TV?
I swiped from the r/h corner and selected screen mirroring from the shortcut menu that appears. Then just went into the video app I have and played the video.
In Apple TV on my iPad I had to start what I wanted to watch then select my tv when I selected the cast/send icon but now it is an app on the tv I don’t cast it from my iPad.

Hey Guys,

Can you purchase and watch iTunes movies via the inbuilt app?

Hello all

Sorry if this has been discussed on here but I cannot find it.

I'm having issues with audio sync. Not sure if that is the TV or the receiver, but I have read that if you have certain features on the TV switched on it can cause sync, and these features aren't needed, as the receiver does that work anyway.

Trouble is I'm not sure what features I need to switch off. I had a look on the TV, and got a bit bamboozled!

Any advice would be appreciated. If that doesn't resolve it, I can post on the receiver boards.

receiver is denon avr-x3500. sync issues occur using sky, HD player, netflix on HD player, and also using eARC through TV.

What's the best way to watch Netflix? I have Sky Q, Apple TV and the tv app. Does it make a difference quality wise which one I use?

Hello all

Sorry if this has been discussed on here but I cannot find it.

I'm having issues with audio sync. Not sure if that is the TV or the receiver, but I have read that if you have certain features on the TV switched on it can cause sync, and these features aren't needed, as the receiver does that work anyway.

Trouble is I'm not sure what features I need to switch off. I had a look on the TV, and got a bit bamboozled!

Any advice would be appreciated. If that doesn't resolve it, I can post on the receiver boards.

receiver is denon avr-x3500. sync issues occur using sky, HD player, netflix on HD player, and also using eARC through TV.
Having earc enabled fixed my lip sync issues , try turning off tru motion

Technicour preset is pants on this years sets , its blue and your eyes are telling you so as your using warm2 which would be better .
Use expert darkroom it's almost as good as a pro calibration .
Oled 30 is about 100 nits and that is the lowest you should go fo really.
I pro calibrator would ame for 100-120 nits for dark room .

Oled light Will be difference from set to set, some set the oled light at25 will be around 120nits OOTB so a oled at 30 might be higher than 120 nits.
My calibrator says oled light between 18-21 will give you 100 nits OOTB

Last edited:
Oled light Will be difference from set to set, some set the oled light at25 will be around 120nits OOTB so a oled at 30 might be higher than 120 nits.
My calibrator says oled light between 18-21 will give you 100 nits OOTB
There is definitely brightness variations between sets but not much between the 15 odd oleds I have calibrated .
That being said these newer sets are considerably brighter than my 2017 set
The main difference from a calibrated set will be if he raised contrast as this also affects the brightness .
Was your contrast raised ?

There is definitely brightness variations between sets but not much between the 15 odd oleds I have calibrated .
The main difference from a calibrated set will be if he raised contrast as this also affects the brightness .
Was your contrast raised?
My calibrator is coming this month
My contrast is set at default 85 my oled light is set at 21, I tried 30 to bright for me in a dark room.when I get it calibrated the SDR will be set at 100 nits and the the oled light will be different

Was your contrast raised ?

If you see in this video from 09.58 oled light at 25 gives about 110 nits OOTB and after calibration it is at 100 nits at oled light 27

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom