LG OLED C9 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

See my deal expires in two months. I reckon if I sign up to this I’ll be entering an 18month contract. The entertainment and HD part of the package is negligible when compared to the rest of my sky package. So I’m worried that by signing up to this, I’ll get the benefit for two months but then I won’t be able to negotiate a discount on my sports / broadband etc
I thought the deal was free Sky Q?

@astirling you can ask the people on the phone about the details of what you can do. However, you need to make your decision quickly as they'll probably be out soon. E9 deals are over.

@wass1985 the screenshot shows the offer

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 20.29.28.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 20.29.28.png
    509.7 KB · Views: 88
I had an old Sky Boxsets contract, had to reset to the new Sky Entertainments package with the LG deal. Told the sky guy that I didn't mind loosing Boxsets because I watch Netflix And Prime mainly. He said if I pay Sky for my Netflix subscription (your Netflix account doesn't change) that I would get the Boxsets free. So my Sky is free for 18 months and I only pay £12 per month for Netflix!

Is UHD part of that HD deal or is that a separate extra?

They say all that is free for 18 months, so what's the catch?

Cant remember the exact names for the packages, but you get the Sky Entertainments package (basic TV) plus HD (which gives you the Sky Q 2TB box) plus the Sky Q mini box for a second room which gives you UHD (but not on the mini box).

I already had the hardware so it was a no brainer for me, and amazingly the missus as well! :D

ye
Is UHD part of that HD deal or is that a separate extra?

They say all that is free for 18 months, so what's the catch?

yeah the UHD is in the deal, I think the catch is you have to get the multiroom to achieve all of the discounts but I already had that so it's fine

I had an old Sky Boxsets contract, had to reset to the new Sky Entertainments package with the LG deal. Told the sky guy that I didn't mind loosing Boxsets because I watch Netflix And Prime mainly. He said if I pay Sky for my Netflix subscription (your Netflix account doesn't change) that I would get the Boxsets free. So my Sky is free for 18 months and I only pay £12 per month for Netflix!

Have you lost the ability to watch Netflix via the TV App now you pay Sky for Netflix? If so you'll have lost HDR from Netflix.

Have you lost the ability to watch Netflix via the TV App now you pay Sky for Netflix? If so you'll have lost HDR from Netflix.
Your Netflix package stays exactly as it was ,your just paying Sky for it

Your Netflix package stays exactly as it was ,your just paying Sky for it
Given that Sky still does not offer HDR, how different does Netflix 4K HDR content via the LG TV app compare to the Sky box.... If that makes sense!?

Given that Sky still does not offer HDR, how different does Netflix 4K HDR content via the LG TV app compare to the Sky box.... If that makes sense!?
I don’t use the Sky Q box , I just use the tv app as I always did before doing it through Sky for payment

Warm 2 turns whites pure yellow/brown, I just can't get used to that even if it is more accurrate.

Warm 2 isn't turning whites yellow. Warm 2 is in fact reducing the blue tint, which has been added to make whites look whiter but, isn't natural.

Give it a while for your eyes to adjust;).

Warm 2 is supposedly closer to D65, which is where we want to be. Hence why warm 2 is the defacto sub setting in the cinema preset and others such as ISF etc.
However, with 'Warm 2' white is not white and can't be adjusted to look white!

Keep getting a new firmware update pop up. Any reason not to update?

Warm 2 isn't turning whites yellow. Warm 2 is in fact reducing the blue tint, which has been added to make whites look whiter but, isn't natural.

Give it a while for your eyes to adjust;).
I can see where your coming from and I did try it for the first day or so but could always still can see the tint on whites. Maybe I just prefer a cooler image?

I completely agree with you. If I change to any other main picture preset set I can tell straight away it's got the colour temp on warm 2 with the shift in tint colour.

Watched aquaman uhd in full last night and it was stunning. I had the dyamanic tone mapping switched on the C9. It made a massive difference in bringing out finer details in clouds, reducing bloom in sunsets etc and no real downsides that I could see.

Sure is maybe not be accurate per say but imo it's a more complete looking picture than letting the TV clip the image at about 700 nits and loose out on a lot of fine detail.

May not work as well for every film but I'd recommend using it.

Watched aquaman uhd in full last night and it was stunning. I had the dyamanic tone mapping switched on the C9. It made a massive difference in bringing out finer details in clouds, reducing bloom in sunsets etc and no real downsides that I could see.

Sure is maybe not be accurate per say but imo it's a more complete looking picture than letting the TV clip the image at about 700 nits and loose out on a lot of fine detail.

May not work as well for every film but I'd recommend using it.
The whole settings issue is very subjective - the best settings are the ones that work for you.:thumbsup:

Alright chap, calm down. No need for the exclamation mark.

"Usually the Colour Temperature setting that is closest to D65 is Warm and other settings such as Neutral or Cool will have too much blue and thus be inaccurate. Manufacturers do this because if you add blue to white, it appears 'whiter' but it is only a trick and in fact D65/Warm will properly replicate the content creators intention."

The words of Steve Withers.

Alas, I'm not clever enough to come up with the logic myself.

The whole settings issue is very subjective - the best settings are the ones that work for you.:thumbsup:

Agreed. Individuals settings take into account their own taste and viewing environment.

If @lisnalee has tried warm and doesn't like it, who are we to tell them how to watch and enjoy their TV, that they paid for.

Agreed. Individuals settings take into account their own taste and viewing environment.

If @lisnalee has tried warm and doesn't like it, who are we to tell them how to watch and enjoy their TV, that they paid for.
I'd like to to have as close to reference as i can but yellow snow just won't do 😀

Appreciate all the input though 👍

Just noticed last night the lg TV remote will pause/play a uhd on the xbox one x once its up and running, which is handy.

Last edited:

not sure anyone is doing that. But if people are asking for settings and people are suggesting settings which alter the image from ‘how the director intended’ it’s worth pointing that out so others understand. I’d also strongly recommend against calibration for anyone who is using warm 1 etc. as they’re going to be dissatisfied with the outcome.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom