Quantcast

LG OLED C9 Owners and Discussion Thread

richard plumb

Not colour blind but you got accustomed to bad picture settings. Some people even like Vivid modes! I'd guess most people probably are if they've never had a tv calibrated or close to industry standards out of the box. Any change would require a re balancing of your palette.

Regardless if it's what makes you happy keep rocking with it.
I had my previous TV roughly calibrated (just by myself with a disc but no fancy sensors etc). ISF dark seems a pretty good match out of the box so far. I can understand it might look dull or oddly tinted if you’re not used to it though
Worth trying to see if you can stick with ISF dark/bright for a week to see if you can adjust to it, but ultimately it’s subjective and your preference

richard plumb

If you’re wall/stand mounting, the arms you screw to the vesa mount are a handy way to carry the set without holding the fragile screen. 65 is light enough to carry with one person like that - it’s the lack of hand holds that makes it tricky normally

Even if just putting on the included stand I’d almost want something screwed in there to help

jimmyjamesh

When I game with xbox c9 switches to game mode but doesn't with ps4 pro.

does ps4 do this? Is there a setting I need to make in ps4?

GAmbrose

Vincent at HDTV test just did a B9 Vs C9 comparison

Surprised to find the C9 has higher peak brightness by 150 nits extra, along with some other minor advantages

Heatster101

Standard Member
When I game with xbox c9 switches to game mode but doesn't with ps4 pro.

does ps4 do this? Is there a setting I need to make in ps4?
As long as instant game response is on its in game mode, that's my understanding anyway

Also I just found out if you connect a Bluetooth headset to the TV then decide to play a game the screen picture defaults to Vivid!!! and game picture mode is greyed out so you can't use the Bluetooth headset via the tv

Taggen86

Here is a video of the vertical banding on my 65 inch c9 when playing sea of thieves (if possible watch it in 4k). This is the worst case in terms of banding I have ever seen while gaming. Would you say that this banding is worse than on your sets? (this question is especially relevant for people who play lots of games on the c9 as many games do not show this degree of vertical banding). This game is a good to test whether your TV has vertical banding.

baglad

Standard Member
I've just purchased a C9 and I have a question about brightness as it will be used in a fairly bright room. The current TV is a 9 year old Sony 37" and my question is the C9 likely to be as bright as the Sony? It won't be delivered until Saturday so I can still cancel it and get the Samsung Q85r. The Samsung seems very similar and the C9 is only marginally better.Thanks for any responses.

Parry

Distinguished Member
Here is a video of the vertical banding on my 65 inch c9 when playing sea of thieves (if possible watch it in 4k). This is the worst case in terms of banding I have ever seen while gaming. Would you say that this banding is worse than on your sets? (this question is especially relevant for people who play lots of games on the c9 as many games do not show this degree of vertical banding). This game is a good to test whether your TV has vertical banding.

seen worse over the years but having just brought one and won the panel lottery as did my friend last week I would say return it and try another .
If you can get to fosspark leicster go there as me and my friends sets both came from there and could well be a great batch of sets .

Taggen86

seen worse over the years but having just brought one and won the panel lottery as did my friend last week I would say return it and try another .
If you can get to fosspark leicster go there as me and my friends sets both came from there and could well be a great batch of sets .
My return window has ended so I am currently trying to get it replaced bt LG. Dont expect them to do so, however based on what I have read here and on the avsforum

trancenergy

Novice Member
Ho guys,

For about a week I m an 55c9 owner. Looks very good comparing to any led/qled on the market, the 4k images are awesome. However, I have 2 questions for you guys:
Did you notice on your oleds any color shift while moving around the room from different angles? On mine, I noticed that colors become warmer when viewing from sides (right/left and from top).
Also, how do you proper clean the panel without scratch/damage it?

Thanks,

shaunmelwell

I would also like to know this , my friends 55 c9 has very faint circular scratches on it which are only visible if he uses his phones torch and his face is up against the screen, he has only cleaned with a microfiber cloth with no liquids.

These scratches don't affect the picture quality do they?

Parry

Distinguished Member
How do they repair TVs with severe banding or many dead pixels?
They send a repair company out to your home, they will replace the screen in about 20 mins .
That's if LG agree it's not within spec, and that is the problem you may have lg say most are within spec .
Just stick to your guns and accept nothing less than a new screen

Last edited:

Parry

Distinguished Member
Ho guys,

For about a week I m an 55c9 owner. Looks very good comparing to any led/qled on the market, the 4k images are awesome. However, I have 2 questions for you guys:
Did you notice on your oleds any color shift while moving around the room from different angles? On mine, I noticed that colors become warmer when viewing from sides (right/left and from top).
Also, how do you proper clean the panel without scratch/damage it?

Thanks,
Colour shift at angles is normal but usually blue .
Micro fiber cloths

tintin jones

What firmware is everyone on? I'm still on 4.70.05 although the magic remote seemed to update on its own a few weeks ago which i thought was odd. I thought they only updated when the tv updated.

Taggen86

They send a repair company out to your home, they will replace the screen in about 20 mins .
That's if LG agree it's not within spec, and that is the problem you may have lg say most are within spec .
Just stick to your guns and accept anything less than a new screen
Thx for the tip! Contacted them one week ago but has still not heard anything. If anyone has any more tips/suggestions that can increase the likelihood that they replace the panel I would really appreciate getting them.

Parry

Distinguished Member
Thx for the tip! Contacted them one week ago but has still not heard anything. If anyone has any more tips/suggestions that can increase the likelihood that they replace the panel I would really appreciate getting them.
Stick 5% grayscale test pattern on and photo that

Mike2001

If you’re wall/stand mounting, the arms you screw to the vesa mount are a handy way to carry the set without holding the fragile screen. 65 is light enough to carry with one person like that - it’s the lack of hand holds that makes it tricky normally

Even if just putting on the included stand I’d almost want something screwed in there to help
Great minds - and all that!

This is exactly what I did when I got my 65E9. Un-boxed it, attached VISA brackets, lifted screen using just the brackets - straight onto the wall mounted arms - never touched the screen once. The 65 was okay for just me - a 55 would be easy, I think a 77 would be a struggle.

Regards, Mike.

MissBimbo

Novice Member
Do you all have sharpness set at 10 or 0?

Rtings recommends 0 but other websites recommends setting it at 10.

Thats for SDR.

What about dolby and hdr content? What sharpness do you have it at?

rousetafarian

Watching the football on Amazon Prime now via the app and the blue studio background is visibly getting brighter than darker then back to brighter as the camera shot comes in and out.

It‘s probably a setting I’ve changed but It’s really distracting - what have I changed in my excitement/amateurishnes?

tobiahtayo

Just purchased a 55 c9 on the black friday deals...

Previously I had the Samsung MU6400 55 4ktv - which developed some shadows... Thought I would trat myself to an upgrade...

I have to say that I notice grain so much more with the LG than the old Samsung. Is there any setting in particular that would show this?

Also I notice that HD content (Sky on HD BBC one HD etc throigh Sky Q box) is not displaying as well a it did on my Samsung. The Samsung - I found it difficult to tell the difference between HD and 4K on football for example. Movies I could tell....
On the LG HD content almost looks poor, kind of in the middle of how 4k and hd looked on my Samsung...

Any settings or tips for better treatment ofHD content? I thought this latest TV would have a lot better upscaling than my old entry level samsung 4k tv...

ggrossen

watching Burnley vs City now on LG Prime App in 4K HDR, didn’t even have to search for it. Certainly the best picture for a footie match I’ve seen - george

Barney Gumble

Watching the football on Amazon Prime now via the app and the blue studio background is visibly getting brighter than darker then back to brighter as the camera shot comes in and out.

It‘s probably a setting I’ve changed but It’s really distracting - what have I changed in my excitement/amateurishnes?
I don't believe that's you, or me, it's them. Now it's on the actual game it isn't doing it.

rousetafarian

I don't believe that's you, or me, it's them. Now it's on the actual game it isn't doing it.
The PQ of the actual game broadcast is excellent tbh

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member

I was panicking but i'm glad some others have seen this, I have the E9 and the studio guests section keeps changing brightness, but the adverts are fine, i have seen it maybe a few times during the match broadcast, which otherwise looks superb... what is it then thats causing that.

rousetafarian

I was panicking but i'm glad some others have seen this, I have the E9 and the studio guests section keeps changing brightness, but the adverts are fine, i have seen it maybe a few times during the match broadcast, which otherwise looks superb... what is it then thats causing that.
Whilst you are here, I notice you have a Denon amp are you using the Prime app from the C9 and getting audio out from ARC back into the amp and out through your external speakers?