LG OLED C9 Owners and Discussion Thread

jamiem1987

Novice Member
Also interested in the black level setting given the C9 doesn't have an auto black level setting, is the PS5 limited + TV low okay for all circumstances? Including blurays etc.

Barney Gumble

Also interested in the black level setting given the C9 doesn't have an auto black level setting, is the PS5 limited + TV low okay for all circumstances? Including blurays etc.

The rule of thumb normally is, the settings don't matter, as long as they match.

So, if you have the PS5 set to limited RGB or low black level, the TV should be set accordingly.

That said, @FarleyUK appears to be having issues with COD.

FarleyUK

The rule of thumb normally is, the settings don't matter, as long as they match.

So, if you have the PS5 set to limited RGB or low black level, the TV should be set accordingly.

That said, @FarleyUK appears to be having issues with COD.

Yeah, it’s a mess. Tried it with auto on both and limited / low - it fluctuates between washed out dark areas or too dark.

I’m running it at 120hz so wonder if that’s a cause. Will try 60hz mode.

I’m also running PC input mode. The series X seems to be much better in this regard.

pinkyfloyd

I had my C9 calibrated by Vincent back in February and the picture on the PS4 Pro has been superb.
But playing Spider-man Remastered on PS5 seemed to make the city look a bit to dark. Vincent states in the comments under this video that if you have the C9 Black level set to low (this is what he calibrated my game mode to) as there is no auto then you should put the PS5 in Limited. I have just done this and now the PS5 looks incredible. So this should sort out other's seeing a washed out picture etc.

FarleyUK

I had my C9 calibrated by Vincent back in February and the picture on the PS4 Pro has been superb.
But playing Spider-man Remastered on PS5 seemed to make the city look a bit to dark. Vincent states in the comments under this video that if you have the C9 Black level set to low (this is what he calibrated my game mode to) as there is no auto then you should put the PS5 in Limited. I have just done this and now the PS5 looks incredible. So this should sort out other's seeing a washed out picture etc.

That’s what I’ve done, but it’s still incredibly dark. Have had to reduce game contrast to 7.

legend_of_chaos

I don't know if anyone can help but this has me scratching my head, this has only just started to happen and I don't know why, when I turn my TV on the home dashboard comes on, any ideas ??

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I don't know if anyone can help but this has me scratching my head, this has only just started to happen and I don't know why, when I turn my TV on the home dashboard comes on, any ideas ??
This happened with the last firmware I think, can be turned off in the settings - general - additional settings - home settings - home auto launch

AlanT

Sounds great, will try this tonight as i have noticed darker picture on the PS5.

May i ask if you are using dynamic tone mapping or HGIG on HDR Game?

Barney Gumble

I got my PS5, delivered three weeks early.

I'm a bit pi**ed off you have to either enable or disable HDR on or off permanently. The auto function doesn't function as 'automatically' at all, enabling HDR when it receives the appropriate signal. It just enables HDR all the time.

I'm not leaving it set on 'automatic', as Vincent suggests, not for SDR games.

What a weird implementation, just like Sony do with DV on their UHD players.

Why can't it be left off and only come on when games are natively rendered to utilise HDR?!

Or have I missed something?

It would appear I have to determine games on a game by game basis by looking them up to see which are indeed real HDR:mad:.

Rieper47

I got my PS5, delivered three weeks early.

I'm a bit pi**ed off you have to either enable or disable HDR on or off permanently. The auto function doesn't function as 'automatically' at all, enabling HDR when it receives the appropriate signal. It just enables HDR all the time.

I'm not leaving it set on 'automatic', as Vincent suggests, not for SDR games.

What a weird implementation, just like Sony do with DV on their UHD players.

Why can't it be left off and only come on when games are natively rendered to utilise HDR?!

Or have I missed something?

It would appear I have to determine games on a game by game basis by looking them up to see which are indeed real HDR:mad:.
I haven't got a ps5 yet but this seems bizarre. Surely Sony should have picked up on this during development/testing? What about watching SDR Blu-ray? They expect users to have an inaccurate picture or go into the menu every time?

Barney Gumble

I haven't got a ps5 yet but this seems bizarre. Surely Sony should have picked up on this during development/testing? What about watching SDR Blu-ray? They expect users to have an inaccurate picture or go into the menu every time?

My PS5 only arrived Tuesday and I set it up yesterday.

So, upon completing initial set-up, HDR is on, the menus are ablaze, for no good reason. And HDR is on with the setting set at 'automatic'.

It may seem bizarre to the uninitiated but, it would appear Sony has taken the same stupid route they've undertaken with their UHD players which toggles Dolby Vision either on for everything or off... it isn't automatically implemented only for DV content.

And that's exactly what is happening here, HDR on all the time or off.

I'm spitting feathers about it to be honest as the only game played so far is Wreckfest, which has a hud and a rev counter that peaks in red.

Rather than turn the hud off, I've changed the HDR setting from 'automatic' (which it isn't) to off.

Given Sony's attitude to their UHD players and DV, I can't see this changing :mad: :mad: :mad: .

Edit; I can't check what happens with SDR blu-ray as I went for the digital PS5. I already have a Panasonic DP-UB820. I'd never use a console for anything other than gaming. Maybe somebody else can confirm what happens when a blu-ray is inserted.

Last edited:

GPF

Quick question hopefully one of you kind folk can answer. Does the C9 pass through DTSX via earc? When I tried this on my Series X it just said your receiver doesn’t support this but I know the receiver does. The series X is plugged directly into the C9 and earc sound back to receiver. Atmos works fine just not DTSX. Thanks

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Quick question hopefully one of you kind folk can answer. Does the C9 pass through DTSX via earc? When I tried this on my Series X it just said your receiver doesn’t support this but I know the receiver does. The series X is plugged directly into the C9 and earc sound back to receiver. Atmos works fine just not DTSX. Thanks
It does, I tested last month with my Panny player connected direct to the tv and used eArc to the speakers via NAD receiver, DTS:X was passed through without issue. (LG audio - Arc is set to eArc and passthrough).

Alexi2281

Standard Member
Hello all, desperate for some support with my 55" C9 please. I recently accessed the service menu with a harmony remote and changed the sub brightness and sub contrast settings ( stupid i know ), picture now looks worse. Would it be possible for someone to access their service menu and let me know the default values for these settings so i can change back? You can access this screen by hitting the ADJ button on the remote then selecting Sub B/C in the menu of options. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

GPF

It does, I tested last month with my Panny player connected direct to the tv and used eArc to the speakers via NAD receiver, DTS:X was passed through without issue. (LG audio - Arc is set to eArc and passthrough).
Thanks for that. Good to know it isn’t the TV and probably some setting I haven’t checked.

Anybody had this issue using Series X?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett