LG OLED C9 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I already have the wifi disabled on the Q box, and as I said in the post it works fine with the TV output set to auto, but then of course it causes the 2nd issue i mentioned of DTS only coming through the front left and right channels despite it showing DTS 5.1. I have dragged my old Sony amp in today and tried it and it's the same on that too.

I have emailed LG re. the DTS bug when using "Auto" which appears to re-encode everything, and I've emailed Denon today also to see if they can shed any light on the stuttering when the TV is set to pass through.

Thanks for the reply

Is there a reason you've opted to output DTS from the PlayStation?

I've only ever used Linear PCM (uncompressed audio).

Think I’ve got most of this setup, but I don’t seem to have an option for HGiG (unless it’s called something else?).

Don’t see one for VRR either…?

C9 is using PC Mode so assuming it’s getting full 4:4:4 chroma, in Game Mode, Black Level Low, HDMI Deep Colour is On, Instant Game Response is On, Gamma is 2.2 (greyed out).

Running software version 05.00.03.

PS5 settings are:

Resolution: 2160p
4K Video Transfer Rate: Automatic
HDR: Automatic
Deep Colour Output: Automatic
RGB Range: Limited.

Would love to know whether I’m running this at the optimum for both PS5 and C9 - full range of HDR, full bandwidth on the cable, VRR, ALLM, etc.

I also have a Denon AVC-X3700H in between, which is HDMI 2.1 and supports everything - VRR, ALLM, 4K@120 (8K even), my cable between TV and AVR is full 48Gbps, and cable between AVR and PS5 is the PS5-provided one, so assume that’s full 48Gbps as well.

Think I’ve got most of this setup, but I don’t seem to have an option for HGiG (unless it’s called something else?).

C9 is using PC Mode so assuming it’s getting full 4:4:4 chroma, in Game Mode, Black Level Low, HDMI Deep Colour is On, Instant Game Response is On, Gamma is 2.2 (greyed out).

PS5 settings are:

Would love to know whether I’m running this at the optimum for both PS5 and C9 - full range of HDR, full bandwidth on the cable, VRR, ALLM, etc.

I also have a Denon AVC-X3700H in between, which is HDMI 2.1 and supports everything - VRR, ALLM, 4K@120 (8K even), my cable between TV and AVR is full 48Gbps, and cable between AVR and PS5 is the PS5-provided one, so assume that’s full 48Gbps as well.
HGIG is an option in the Dynamic tone mapping picture option

I’ve selected hgig and then reconfigured ps5 hdr calibration (as I was originally using dynamic tone mapping in game mode on the PS4 pro). Changing ps5 rgb range from auto to limited makes no difference as far as I can see so leaving it at auto.

Is there a reason you've opted to output DTS from the PlayStation?

I've only ever used Linear PCM (uncompressed audio).

I can't use LPCM as my old amp is connected via optical from the TV, my receiver doesn't do ARC or HDMI, so i'm stuck with only bitstream options - DTS has no lag / delay, Dolby has around 100ms and is damn annoying!

I can't use LPCM as my old amp is connected via optical from the TV, my receiver doesn't do ARC or HDMI, so i'm stuck with only bitstream options - DTS has no lag / delay, Dolby has around 100ms and is damn annoying!

Gotcha, I understand now.

It won't be of any consolation to you but, my Sky Q has been a crackle fest all day today, watching football in Atmos.

Sound drops throughout every game:mad:, Q connected to a receiver via HDMI. It hasn't been this bad in ages.

Same with me for the sound drops on Sky Q with the football today.

PS5 settings are:

I've got the same setup. When you goto the PS5 video settings is it still saying 4K @ 60fps ?

I wonder how we enable 120 or VRR

PS5 doesn't support VRR (March apparently).
120HZ does work on the C9, was playing Cod over the weekend.
For Cod, make sure PS5 game preset is set to performance and Cod will automatically change to 120HZ, if you want ray tracing at 60Hz, you need to set the PS5 game preset to resolution.
For the other games (Dirt 5) you can change this with the ingame options, but for some reason Cod is taking on the Global PS5 preference.

Anyone else find the HDR / overall display on the PS5 too dark?

I’ve calibrated my C9, and it’s ok on the Series X - but on things like Mile Morales, Godfall and CoD, the dark areas are basically black with no detail.

PS5 on auto for black level and so is the TV. Have it on PC input mode.

Anyone else find the HDR / overall display on the PS5 too dark?

I’ve calibrated my C9, and it’s ok on the Series X - but on things like Mile Morales, Godfall and CoD, the dark areas are basically black with no detail.

PS5 on auto for black level and so is the TV. Have it on PC input mode.

It sounds like there is a mismatch in black levels.

Try either setting both components black/RGB level to full or limited, not auto.

Hi all. I was having issues on my ps5 with judder. From another website they told me to put the ps5 in game mode and that looks like it has sorted it.

Do you guys play consoles using game mode ? I've always played on the same screen as I'd watch TV

I had judder on the right stick. I didn’t think about game mode as I’m on Cinema HDR and switching the 4K video transfer rate to -1 on the PS5 eliminated the judder for me. I’m tempted to try game mode now!

I have tv on low and have tried the ps5 on both auto and limited, doesn’t seem to make much difference.
The only game I have issue with is cod, lobby and loading screen looked very washed out, as for the mp maps hard to tell as they look quiet flat this year compared to MW.
Days gone looks fantastic as does Astro / Dirt.

Have you got HGIG enabled? I switched it to Tone Mapping enabled as HGIG was too dark for me. I also have the colour set to cool as it makes the colours to me look more vibrant.

I have found COD Cold War looked washed out compared to the rest of the games I've played on the PS5.

Last edited:
Yeah, I enabled hgig and recalibrated ps5 hdr setting. Previously on the pro I used the dynamic tone mapping (that tended to brighten games), but cod just looks a little wrong, like an lcd with brightness turned up..

I had a weird thing happen in Cold War on PS5.

As mentioned, the screen seems very dark in the dark areas - I reloaded a checkpoint, and suddenly the gamma was raised. Everything was much brighter. No idea why!

Can anyone with an Xbox Series X, Gears 5 and an LG C9 TV do me a favour please?

Load up Gears 5 in HDR and go to the very beginning of the Bootcamp training where you're in the dark room before all the walls collapse and you go outside.

Also at the opening credits of the campaign where you get black screens in the transitions between scenes.

How do the blacks look? Are they inky black or do they look grey and washed out?

On my C9 they are grey and washed out, but I've just come from Gears of War 4 and they were absolutely perfect on that so I'm not sure what's going on.

Thanks in advance :)
I just tested this and the walls were inky black. All I could see was Daves lights.

Cod and dirt 5 running well as 120hz on my c9

hover over programme shown below and hit 1 many times to get info, then back to turn off.

View attachment 1405868View attachment 1405869
How can you tell if VRR is working at 4k120. There were reports that on C9 VRR only works at 4k60 but I have been playing COD WZ, GEARS 5 etc at 120 with VRR enabled and although I never gamed at 120 before it feels smooth.

Can any recommend any HDR game picture settings for ps5 please?
Also using earc to denon AV reciever. When playing astro all I get is DD 5.1. Does this sound correct?

Whilst I'm still waiting for my XSX, I'd like to ask though, I do use Sharpness at 10 for both SDR and HDR/DV viewing. Why is it recommended to have Sharpness at 0 for the XSX/PS5? Any actual reasoning behind it? Is it bound to cause issues?

Thanks!

So, if I understand correctly after watching the video, as the C9 has no auto for black level and I only have the digital PS5, I can set mine to full and high for black levels?

Also interested in the black level setting given the C9 doesn't have an auto black level setting, is the PS5 limited + TV low okay for all circumstances? Including blurays etc.

Also interested in the black level setting given the C9 doesn't have an auto black level setting, is the PS5 limited + TV low okay for all circumstances? Including blurays etc.

The rule of thumb normally is, the settings don't matter, as long as they match.

So, if you have the PS5 set to limited RGB or low black level, the TV should be set accordingly.

That said, @FarleyUK appears to be having issues with COD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom