Quantcast

LG OLED C9 Owners and Discussion Thread

ohnder

Ordered an upgrade and a new C9 will be installed next week. Currently with the E6 that served me well over the three years.
Anyone else upgraded from 2016 models?
Fingers crossed near black uniformity is as good as on my current set. Do the 2019 sets also suffer from colour tint as much as the 2016 ones? Also hoping DV performs better.

Niel686

Standard Member
@ohnder
Had 65 c9 for a week and am blown away with the picture quality and not noticed any tint upgraded from a 2017 Samsung

Niel686

Standard Member
Weird thing on you tube today some of the video descriptions were blurred reinstalled seems to have fixed it
CD2DD111-63FE-4E81-A5BD-E8C02174C478.jpeg

Filipps

Novice Member
Two questions:
1. Does anybody notice banding in mostly dark grey scenes?
2. when you look at a fully 100% white screen, domyou get the impression it has a slight red tint on some areas?

Would really appreciate your opinions and experience

magree

There was stickers but I can’t seem to find the front film..
That’s weird. The front film was really obvious on mine. I didn’t realise it had a back film until I read on here a week later. I really had to feel around with my fingernail to find an edge.

jymig

Standard Member
Well, then comes a new update ... Global is supposed to add AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support. And another fact is that there seems to be a possibility that those of 2018 also support them later.

Launching:
LG announced today that support for AirPlay 2 and HomeKit is being extended to AI's ThinQ 2019 TVs starting Thursday, July 25.

While LG AI ThinQ 2019 TVs will be the first to get the firmware update that will enable HomeKit and AirPlay 2, the new information shared today by Screen Times suggests that AirPlay 2 and HomeKit will eventually reach all LG TV models with AI ThinQ in the future.

slliw

Just got a new update notification pop up on my screen which I ignored. Gone into settings and can’t find where to manually update. Is this the update that will deploy air play 2?

jymig

Standard Member
Updated my 65C9 here in Spain .... Update 03.60.19 but without a trace of HomeKit or AirPlay 2

Just got a new update notification pop up on my screen which I ignored. Gone into settings and can’t find where to manually update. Is this the update that will deploy air play 2?
You should go settings - general - about this TV.

Niel686

Standard Member
Same here updated no Apple !!!
Got my 65 inch from richer sounds who price matched Costco £2399

jymig

Standard Member
Did anyone find what improvements the update brings if there is no HOMEKIT or AirPlay 2?

Because I was not able to find any information.

Has anyone tried (or found) the new Prime series The Boys in 4K hdr using the LG C9 Prime app. I’ve tried using Alexa, google or plain old typing with no joy. It seems to exist in 4K just can’t find it. All I can think of is that amazon haven’t loaded this version so far in the LG app?
Btw - also have an ATV 4K so tried it finding it there - the ATV 4K TV app does find it but when it links to Prime - strange things happen - George

scottmc1985

Novice Member
So had the weirdest issue tonight watching stranger things season 3. There was a couple of scenes in episode 3 where one of the characters is walking in what appears to be a dream like state (no spoilers) and the screen is mainly pure black. The screen began randomly flickering white and there appeared to be what looked like macro blocking on the screen.

when I watched The programme Dark I never noticed it however strangers things is in Dolby.

anybody else noticed this?

So had the weirdest issue tonight watching stranger things season 3. There was a couple of scenes in episode 3 where one of the characters is walking in what appears to be a dream like state (no spoilers) and the screen is mainly pure black. The screen began randomly flickering white and there appeared to be what looked like macro blocking on the screen.

when I watched The programme Dark I never noticed it however strangers things is in Dolby.

I watched Stranger Things on my ATV connected to my LG don’t remember any issues like this. But watching ‘The Boys’ using the LG App episode 1 25 mins in there is a panning scene that really tests your OLED motion handling. I thought trumotion was on user for all my inputs but forgot for LG app HDR and it was pretty horrible - I set trumotion on to user and now ok. I must admit before this I thought i was fine with LG motion - George

magree

Can anyone please confirm whether they have experienced weird light flashing in black/near black scenes on their C9? Specifically, Season 3, episode 3 of Stranger Things on Netflix from 1 min 40 sec - 2 min 45 sec. I noticed it tonight and its very obvious. If anyone could check that particular scene and report back I’d be very grateful to know if it’s a problem with my particular TV, a problem with the C9 processor or the content itself. I’m watching it in 4K Dolby Vision in home cinema picture mode.
Hi,

Yes i can confirm the same flashing on my set.
Checked with F/W 3.60.04 in all pic modes as well as updating to 3.60.05 and still the flashing in those particular scenes not good.

Yes. I reported exactly the same issue here a few pages back and it was replicated by another member (see above posts). For me changing the mode to cinema stopped it but probably only because cinema mode is considerably darker than all the other modes available with Dolby vision content. However, if I changed the brightness setting in cinema mode to anything above default (50) then it would also induce the flashing. It does seem to be a problem with very specific content such as Stranger Things season 3 in the scenes you mention (It occurs in multiple episodes). I also just started watching Dark in 4K which is an incredible series and looks stunning on the C9! As you have said there is no flashing whatsoever in this series and it has a lot of largely black/near black scenes similar to the flashing/macroblocking-inducing scenes in Stranger Things. So, it’s definitely content-dependent and possibly an issue with Dolby Vision. Funnily enough, upon releasing the 2019 OLEDs LG had stated that flashing/macroblocking/black chrominance overshoot or whatever you want to call it was no longer a problem with the gen2 alpha9 processor. It looks like they just hadn’t tested content that induced it yet.

jymig

Standard Member
Well .... well, after going around all the forums ... the answer is in the LG forum!

Airplay 2 [/ url]

LG Moderator Quote: Airplay 2 will ship to OLED and NanoCell 2019 models as of 7/29/2019. The update of UHD TVs will already take place in October. So there are 2 days left !!!!

Filipps

Novice Member
Yes. I reported exactly the same issue here a few pages back and it was replicated by another member (see above posts). For me changing the mode to cinema stopped it but probably only because cinema mode is considerably darker than all the other modes available with Dolby vision content. However, if I changed the brightness setting in cinema mode to anything above default (50) then it would also induce the flashing. It does seem to be a problem with very specific content such as Stranger Things season 3 in the scenes you mention (It occurs in multiple episodes). I also just started watching Dark in 4K which is an incredible series and looks stunning on the C9! As you have said there is no flashing whatsoever in this series and it has a lot of largely black/near black scenes similar to the flashing/macroblocking-inducing scenes in Stranger Things. So, it’s definitely content-dependent and possibly an issue with Dolby Vision. Funnily enough, upon releasing the 2019 OLEDs LG had stated that flashing/macroblocking/black chrominance overshoot or whatever you want to call it was no longer a problem with the gen2 alpha9 processor. It looks like they just hadn’t tested content that induced it yet.
Also consider the source you are playing from. Had the same problem when playing from the C9 app which vanished when playing from my one x

Filipps

Novice Member
If you don’t mind me asking Filips what source are you using for watching Netflix on the tv?
I use the xbox one x since I noticed this difference. It sucks a bit because it would be much easier to just press the Netflix button on the remote but the picture quality is better through the xbox one x