LG OLED C9 Owners and Discussion Thread

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Well, last night I sat down to watch Game of Thrones season 8 ep 3 The Long Night on UHD.
The last time I watched this was in my E7 via the now tv app and like most of the world, tuned in and was horrified by the video quality mess.
So the UHD on a calibrated C9 was like watching for the first time.
The detail was fantastic, I was waiting for banding and it didn’t arrive, so much detail in the storm / clouds that I originally missed. Such a shame thousands / millions missed out on what was a great episode.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Well, last night I sat down to watch Game of Thrones season 8 ep 3 The Long Night on UHD.
The last time I watched this was in my E7 via the now tv app and like most of the world, tuned in and was horrified by the video quality mess.
So the UHD on a calibrated C9 was like watching for the first time.
The detail was fantastic, I was waiting for banding and it didn’t arrive, so much detail in the storm / clouds that I originally missed. Such a shame thousands / millions missed out on what was a great episode.
I bet it looked amazing compared to the compressed mess hbo/sky pumped out at the time.
A few days after it originally aired it was available on Apple TV, obviously it's no uhd but it was way superior to the broadcast, it looked amazing.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I bet it looked amazing compared to the compressed mess hbo/sky pumped out at the time.
A few days after it originally aired it was available on Apple TV, obviously it's no uhd but it was way superior to the broadcast, it looked amazing.
It did look fantastic, the blue dragon fire really did pop, and the colours within the darks looked spectacular.
I was thinking, all the effort from the production team, makeup, cgi artists and most of us missed it.
At the time my expensive oled looked like a cheap Tesco lcd from 20 years ago...

jmacc

Distinguished Member
It did look fantastic, the blue dragon fire really did pop, and the colours within the darks looked spectacular.
I was thinking, all the effort from the production team, makeup, cgi artists and most of us missed it.
At the time my expensive oled looked like a cheap Tesco lcd from 20 years ago...
It was unforgivable and was a large factor in my decision to completely cancel sky.

Faldoe

Novice Member
I have the 65" OLED65C9PUA and wanted to know if it's possible to adjust the play function on the remote.

If you pause and then bump the controller - not even hitting the play button, just bumping it - it resumes play. Is there a way to disable this? I looked in the TV settings (the setting button from the remote) and didn't see anything.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone. I’ve had the C9 for nearly 6 months now and I’m very pleased with it overall but there are still a couple of things I could use some advice on.

Logo luminescence: I have this set to high, but is it really worth keeping on at all? I don’t watch a lot of things with static logos, and what I do watch they are the pale grey/see through logos you get on regular TV. From what I can see it seems to just cause a lot Of bugs (text flickering from to bright etc as if realising it shouldn’t be dimming that) as well as the screen flicking when adjusting volume).
Is it worth putting up with these bugs to avoid burn in issues? I do game regularly (nothing excessive) and to be honest I’ve found most games have HUD customisation so you can toggle these on and off anyway.

Brightness: I have this set on 49 at present. It used to be 50 but noticed the black bars flickering on some HDR content (room with a flickering fire) etc and found that turning this down from 50 to 49 solves this issue.

I have also noticed that often times, during real watching, blacks are not “true” black But credits and title screens are pure black! Am I right in thinking that the TV will only display true black if it is being told to. For example, the film I’m watching must have pure black coded on the disc for the TV to display it and so those films where blacks are raised are more a product of how the film was shot/made rather than a settings issue with the TV?

Thanks all and stay safe.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
I have the 65" OLED65C9PUA and wanted to know if it's possible to adjust the play function on the remote.

If you pause and then bump the controller - not even hitting the play button, just bumping it - it resumes play. Is there a way to disable this? I looked in the TV settings (the setting button from the remote) and didn't see anything.
Mine does the same. Also if you bump it or even place an item next to it then it brings up a weird side bar menu that I can’t bring up myself using the buttons. To be honest I don’t think the magic remote is all that hot.

DaveWillo

Mine does the same. Also if you bump it or even place an item next to it then it brings up a weird side bar menu that I can’t bring up myself using the buttons. To be honest I don’t think the magic remote is all that hot.
Haha, that menu pops up when my dog barks, I leave the magic remote on the TV stand and use my Harmony instead.

Gee Simpson

Should I have waited for the CX to come down in price (say £1500) or did I make the right decision going for the C9? I will only use it to play video games on (PS4 & PS5). I always like to have the latest and greatest, especially when making a big purchase on something like a TV, but on this occasion I went against that and chose the C9 instead because most said the CX wasn't much of an improvement. I'll never know now but I do feel a little regret lol. I haven't even unboxed the TV yet even though I bought it months ago now, I will do eventually but I'm still using my Samsung KS atm.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Haha, that menu pops up when my dog barks, I leave the magic remote on the TV stand and use my Harmony instead.
its so annoying. Far too sensitive in my opinion.
Should I have waited for the CX to come down in price (say £1500) or did I make the right decision going for the C9? I will only use it to play video games on (PS4 & PS5). I always like to have the latest and greatest, especially when making a big purchase on something like a TV, but on this occasion I went against that and chose the C9 instead because most said the CX wasn't much of an improvement. I'll never know now but I do feel a little regret lol. I haven't even unboxed the TV yet even though I bought it months ago now, I will do eventually but I'm still using my Samsung KS atm.
I think you made the right choice personally. I don’t see that VRR stuff being worthwhile uncless you are a professional gamer and even then I can’t imagine it being that much better. If you had waited for the CX to be that low in price the C11 will probably be just coming out and you’d still be in the osition of wondering if you should’ve waited for that.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Brightness: I have this set on 49 at present. It used to be 50 but noticed the black bars flickering on some HDR content (room with a flickering fire) etc and found that turning this down from 50 to 49 solves this issue.
What source and TV preset ?

You could check your black level setting using free HDR10 test material. Usually, 50 is correct in Cinema preset, and same on SDR using ISF Expert Dark

I have also noticed that often times, during real watching, blacks are not “true” black But credits and title screens are pure black! Am I right in thinking that the TV will only display true black if it is being told to. For example, the film I’m watching must have pure black coded on the disc for the TV to display it and so those films where blacks are raised are more a product of how the film was shot/made rather than a settings issue with the TV?

Thanks all and stay safe.
Yes, the display output level is determined by the content, assuming source and display it is calibrated correctly. If the black level calibration is out, what should be true black, may appear grey. Content may also vary in terms or black floor due to creator intent.

Otis

Wondering if anyone else has this. When using my Xbox One X the instant game response message comes up but not on my PS4. No big deal but just curious.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
What source and TV preset ?

You could check your black level setting using free HDR10 test material. Usually, 50 is correct in Cinema preset, and same on SDR using ISF Expert Dark

Yes, the display output level is determined by the content, assuming source and display it is calibrated correctly. If the black level calibration is out, what should be true black, may appear grey. Content may also vary in terms or black floor due to creator intent.
Sorry I forgot to mention that I’m using standard preset on my Panasonic 820 4K player which I have now knocked down to level 49 brightness. Thanks for the info about calibration and things.

jmacc

Distinguished Member

thought it would be worth putting on here. For anyone interested. Big deal or not?.
Nice article, kind of expected that from LG though, they don't tend to add major stuff (or selling points) to older models..another example is Apple TV app on 2019 models but not 2018.. unfortunately lg class a 1 year old model an a older model.. :(
This won't bother the majority of people, just some of owners who use the c9 to games and it won't affect next gen console owners.. as he says in the article the 2019 model is still HDMI 2.1 AND SUPPORTS 4K 120HZ @ 48Gbps but as we know you only need 40Gbps on 10 bit panels.

:smoke::smoke:

Avi

Distinguished Member
Sorry I forgot to mention that I’m using standard preset on my Panasonic 820 4K player which I have now knocked down to level 49 brightness. Thanks for the info about calibration and things.
What preset are you using on the C9 ?

I also use a Pany 820 for Blu-ray/USB and on my C9 the default black level (50) in Cinema is spot on in terms of test material for near black. There's not much you can change on the 820 for DV, but with HDR there are a number of settings that can change the image i.e. settings in HDR optimiser.

For HDR/DV the LG Cinema preset is most accurate OOTB. There are also some settings like Dynamic Tone Mapping that can change the appearance of HDR. I avoid changing any black/white/gamma on the player.

On SDR content ISF Expert Dark is the most accurate preset OOTB, but using it will depend on your viewing environment. Also settings like Dynamic Contrast, Peak brightness will change the image.

I can't recall what the Standard preset employs as default, but it's not very accurate in terms of calibration, so I'd try the more accurate presets if you can.

Last edited:

ssbib

Distinguished Member
What preset are you using on the C9 ?

I also use a Pany 820 for Blu-ray/USB and on my C9 the default black level (50) in Cinema is spot on in terms of test material for near black. There's not much you can change on the 820 for DV, but with HDR there are a number of settings that can change the image i.e. settings in HDR optimiser.

For HDR/DV the LG Cinema preset is most accurate OOTB. There are also some settings like Dynamic Tone Mapping that can change the appearance of HDR. I avoid changing any black/white/gamma on the player.

On SDR content ISF Expert Dark is the most accurate preset OOTB, but using it will depend on your viewing environment. Also settings like Dynamic Contrast, Peak brightness will change the image.

I can't recall what the Standard preset employs as default, but it's not very accurate in terms of calibration, so I'd try the more accurate presets if you can.
What I meant was I am using the standard image preset on the C9 itself paired with a Panasonic 820. I was happy with the image but noticed the black bar flashing bug last night while watching X-Men First Class. I’ve knocked the brightness down to 49, which has solved the problem, but after running a test on YouTube I now have some minor crushing on HDR content.

Avi

Distinguished Member
What I meant was I am using the standard image preset on the C9 itself paired with a Panasonic 820. I was happy with the image but noticed the black bar flashing bug last night while watching X-Men First Class. I’ve knocked the brightness down to 49, which has solved the problem, but after running a test on YouTube I now have some minor crushing on HDR content.
Do you see the flashing using the more accurate C9 presets?

jimdriver2

Anyone else use the native Google Play Movies app?

I've been watching Game of Thrones on it (having bought it all on there a while back via a really good 50% of deal) and generally it looks good for SDR content but boy does it struggle with dark scenes! Some real horrible banding and noise in some scenes.

The weird thing is when we watched another episode on Sunday night it seemed better in dark scenes than the night before. Makes me wonder if Google Play change their output video quality at different times depending on traffic usage etc. To be honest I've found Google Play to be a bit hit and miss for video quality over the years anyway across a range of devices (Chromecast, native app on a Samsung KS7000 and others).

Would be interested to know others experience with the C9 and Google Play.

Barney Gumble

I initiated my TV to come on yesterday via Sky Q (via an Onkyo receiver), the red power indicator flashed, then stopped but, the screen wasn't illuminated, then there was an audible click and the TV went off.

Then it repeated the sequence.

I unplugged it for ten minutes, as soon as I plugged it back in, it continued in the same vein without me doing anything. I hadn't touched a remote, nothing.

So, I instinctively changed the fuse and it worked fine.

Low and behold, I get up this morning and it's doing it again only this time after four or five boot loops (whilst I was searching for the RS customer service number online), it eventually stayed on. It just didn't switch to the correct input but, I can see the image now.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I'm reluctant to ring RS, if I don't have to.

If it hasn't happened to anyone else before, I shall have to see if it does it tomorrow, capture it on my phone and then share it with RS as I don't want them coming here and not being able to replicate it, if it's a fault.