LG OLED C9 Owners and Discussion Thread

choirboy

Hi, yes I have a C9. I have been using Plex. Do you know if that does the same as Kodi?
As far as I know Plex does do refresh rate switching so that would be fine, might need to enable it in the settings though.

I use an excellent little app called Refresh
Rate from the Play Store. This allows you to set frame rate for particular apps.
I use this to set BBCiPlayer, ITV Hub and My 5 so they all start at 4k/50hz (native UK framerate). 50hz does not go into 120hz cleanly so it won't look right.
Most other frame rates do though which is why the default 4k/59.94 works fine.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Spoke to RS in Holborn again and they are 100% Not going to do anything. I have to deal with LG on my own and basically take it or leave it...
No fix date in sight any time soon. LG saying the size of the panel and trying to find someone to do the job in London :(
I will never shop at RS again. I may as well have thrown £1799 out the window...
Total wnkers
credit card or PayPal dispute? might make them move?

SimonST

Distinguished Member
They've been tagged a few times in the last page alone, I'd have thought the head honcho will drop you a message or ask you to get in touch, they're normally very good with that sort of thing.

Realistically, the retailer is who you should be chasing for the first 12 months, and especially in the first six months where your rights are much more in your favour.

If you're outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any faulty goods or faulty digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.

Tell the retailer whether you'd prefer a repair or a replacement, but bear in mind that it has the final say.

The retailer can also refuse if it can show that your choice is disproportionately expensive compared with the alternative.

If you discover the fault within the first six months from delivery, it's presumed to have been there from the time you received it - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

During this time, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there at the time of delivery - it's not up to you to prove that it was.

If the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you can then claim a refund, or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product.

The retailer can't make any deductions from a refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.

Can I get a full refund? - the first six months

If you've owned the item for less than six months, the retailer must give you a full refund if an attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful.

The retailer can't make any deduction from a refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.

The only exception to this is motor vehicles, where the retailer can make a deduction for fair use after the first 30 days.

It doesn't matter whether you bought your goods before or after 1 October 2015 - in the first six months from when you buy something, the onus is on the seller to prove your defective product was of satisfactory quality when you received it.

It's not for you to prove that the faulty item was not of satisfactory quality in order to get it repaired or replaced during the first six months after purchase.

shagaboopon

Spoke to RS in Holborn again and they are 100% Not going to do anything. I have to deal with LG on my own and basically take it or leave it...
No fix date in sight any time soon. LG saying the size of the panel and trying to find someone to do the job in London :(
I will never shop at RS again. I may as well have thrown £1799 out the window...
At the end of the day, under the sales of goods act the retailer is the responsible party and they cannot wash their hands of it. They have to offer a repair or replacement if the goods are faulty. It's fair that they can offer the repair through an external party but that doesn't exclude them from the fact they have to offer a repair within a reasonable timescale and that would be around 28 days as a upper limit recognised by most retailers. This would usually start from when the fault was reported to the retailer although if using a external retailer the expectation might be that it would start from when they were first contacted.

I've not looked at manufacturers policies for a long time but there used to be a threshold on the number of dead pixels that were allowed before a screen was considered faulty. Obviously to the buyer, one dead pixel is too much but manufacturers used to think differently but I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Legally speaking you would need to threaten court action to take Richer Sounds to a small claims court due to the TV being not fit for purpose if you wanted to try and force their hand but even so you can't start any action for 28 days so I would persevere with the current repair course as best you can and maybe discuss with the retailer if they will be willing to pay for it to be recalibrated assuming the repair is undertaken.

Some info on Sales of Goods Act and claiming in small court.

Incidentally while I can understand your frustration, this policy of referring people to the manufacturer for 1st year repairs is quite a common policy although it's pretty poor service that the retailer will not manage the call on your behalf once requested. As such I would definitely write a letter of complaint to their head office.

Personally I've only ever had a great experience with Richer Sounds and I've had a Bluray player and TV repaired through them. The Bluray player was direct through LG and the TV through an external repairer as it was out of manufacturer warranty.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Hi, yes I have a C9. I have been using Plex. Do you know if that does the same as Kodi? I used to use Kodi but now find Plex more user friendly. Even adding my NAS folders in Kodi is a pain.

I don't have Netflix.

Thanks.
Yes Plex
Hi, yes I have a C9. I have been using Plex. Do you know if that does the same as Kodi? I used to use Kodi but now find Plex more user friendly. Even adding my NAS folders in Kodi is a pain.

I don't have Netflix.

Thanks.
You need a 4K Firestick to get Plex to autoswitch,

Earthscope

At the end of the day, under the sales of goods act the retailer is the responsible party and they cannot wash their hands of it. They have to offer a repair or replacement if the goods are faulty. It's fair that they can offer the repair through an external party but that doesn't exclude them from the fact they have to offer a repair within a reasonable timescale and that would be around 28 days as a upper limit recognised by most retailers. This would usually start from when the fault was reported to the retailer although if using a external retailer the expectation might be that it would start from when they were first contacted.

I've not looked at manufacturers policies for a long time but there used to be a threshold on the number of dead pixels that were allowed before a screen was considered faulty. Obviously to the buyer, one dead pixel is too much but manufacturers used to think differently but I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Legally speaking you would need to threaten court action to take Richer Sounds to a small claims court due to the TV being not fit for purpose if you wanted to try and force their hand but even so you can't start any action for 28 days so I would persevere with the current repair course as best you can and maybe discuss with the retailer if they will be willing to pay for it to be recalibrated assuming the repair is undertaken.

Some info on Sales of Goods Act and claiming in small court.

Incidentally while I can understand your frustration, this policy of referring people to the manufacturer for 1st year repairs is quite a common policy although it's pretty poor service that the retailer will not manage the call on your behalf once requested. As such I would definitely write a letter of complaint to their head office.

Personally I've only ever had a great experience with Richer Sounds and I've had a Bluray player and TV repaired through them. The Bluray player was direct through LG and the TV through an external repairer as it was out of manufacturer warranty.
Thank you! Great advice.
Just had a PM from head of Customer Services at Richard Sounds, Stephen Hallsworth. He is going to look into it further for me and get a solution.

And also good advice with regards to the Calibration. I will see what they say..:smashin:
Hopefully they will offer to cover Jules fee.

Last edited:

choirboy

I don't think that's correct. It does work on the Shield from memory. You have to go into advanced settings on the Plex app to enable it.

Unless something has changed? Maybe someone who uses Plex can help verify?

choirboy

I don't think that's correct. It does work on the Shield from memory. You have to go into advanced settings on thr Pkex app to enable it.

Stretlow

There's no real point to setting your Shield Pro to 24fps. You just get a slow UI. I presume you have a C9 as you are active on this thread?
Kodi will switch the TV automatically (if you switch on refresh rate switching in the options) so no need to set the Shield to 24p for anything played via Kodi.
When viewing Netflix if you have real cinema enabled on your C9 the TV will perform the correct pulldown (5 x 24 into 120hz) so it will all look correct at the default 4k/59.94 Dolby Vision enabled setting.

That way you get a smooth UI and proper fidelity. 🙂
After much reading this is what I've done

Set the shield to 1080p 120hz as I want the C9 to handle the up-scaling.
Set to auto switch colour
Set Kodi to 1080p and refresh on start stop
Whitelisted all the available resolutions available in Kodi.

TV now doing the up-scaling but if a 4K source is played through Kodi then the TV adjusts and plays it natively.

Will say though that some HDR films are very very dark in places.

other than that got a cable today that handles 1440p 120hz been playing Far Cry on it today and its great.

the fife flyer

Would anyone be interested in buying a SHARC eARC convertor? I`ve just got rid of my AVR so not needed.

Just testing the water here. To adhere to forum rules I`ll post it in the classifieds if I get any interest. THENAUDIO – Add EARC to Any Sound System

It`s a month old and was $200 to import. I won`t be hard to deal with.

choirboy

After much reading this is what I've done

Set the shield to 1080p 120hz as I want the C9 to handle the up-scaling.
There is no setting for 120hz. Just need to set it to 4k/59.94 DV enabled.
Do you have a Shield Pro 2019?

If so you would be better to let the Shield upscale as perceived wisdom from reading around (including my own opinion) is that Nvidia's AI upscaling feature is superb and better than the TVs own built-in upscaling.

Last edited:

Stretlow

There is no setting for 120hz. Just need to set it to 4k/59.94 DV enabled.
Do you have a Shield Pro 2019?

If so you would be better to let the Shield upscale as perceived wisdom from reading around (including my own opinion) is that Nvidia's AI upscaling feature is superb and better than the TVs own built-in upscaling.
No the 2015 unfortunately version and to my eyes the TV is doing a better job.

There is a 120hz setting at 1080p

Last edited:

choirboy

No the 2015 unfortunately version and to my eyes the TV is doing a better job.

There is a 120hz setting at 1080p
Ah ok yes the TV probably will then.

Ah right, didn't realise about the 120hz setting. Thanks 😊

Earthscope

Update regarding my C9 and all the chasing and polite throwing my toys out of the pram, shenanigans...

Looks like it paid off as LG called me at 17.55pm last night to say that the engineers will be in touch in the next 48 hours to arrange a panel replacement. And that there is someone available in my area to do the job in the next 2 days. Apparently they were having issues with my postcode and nothing was showing for my area. Mmmm....🤔
Anyway what with my foot stomping and the members here tagging RS (I thank you 🙏🏻)
looks like things are going in the right direction now. Just hope I get a good panel as the one I have currently apart from the stuck pixel is near on perfect. No banding or jail bars in sight. Fingers crossed 🤞

And spoke to Jules_we have come to an arrangement for the new panel to be calibrated also.
He did say “Can’t you just keep the panel you have and cover the pixel with a black sharpie?” :eek::laugh:;)
It did cross my mind. :laugh:
But then its basically worthless for selling on by December...;):D

Last edited:

Ains

I don't think that's correct. It does work on the Shield from memory. You have to go into advanced settings on the Plex app to enable it.

JOOI, does Plex on a 4k Firestick pass through Atmos in TrueHD soundtracks? I know the Shield Pro does it, but it's too pricey as that's the only thing I want it for.

KayuraX

Hello everyone,

I am a new C9 65" owner and I've been browsing the forums the last few days looking at all of the great information!

My panel has some of the dreaded magenta tint on the left side of the screen. I have not tested for uniformity because it's so new, and I don't know how to test peak brightness or black levels.

While I now know it is fairly typical to have some tint in the screen, I'm curious how my panel compares to most others and if I should go through the hassle of returning it. It is fairly obvious in all the usual ways, white and light backgrounds, makes grass and sky look a little off. It's a little better if you're sitting off to the right side, which is not where I sit!

I jumped on the C9 band wagon at the last minute because I saw that the last of the stock was drying up, and that the CX 2020 model had HDMI ports that had less bandwidth capability. (Maybe that isn't a big deal?)

That being said, returning it now means I won't have the option of getting a C9 as a replacement unless I get a different size maybe. Thank you for reading and any advice you may have!

(Shot with an iPhone 11 - This looks maybe slightly worse than in-person, but it is quite obvious.)

Left:
IMG_7543.jpg

Center:
IMG_7547.jpg

dante01

Distinguished Member
Has any other owners of the C9 found that their Amazon Prime app is no longer facilitating access to Atmos soundtracks? None of the content that previously included Atmos that was accessible via the app on this TV now results in Atmos. The content in question would be the 4K UHD incarnations of the Jack Ryan series (Series 1), Carnival Row and Suspira. The best I can now get relative to these is DD+ 5.1. All the other streaming services such as Netflix, Disney+ and the Apple TV service alll still output Atmos via ARC without issue, but not the Amazon app or the Amazon service via the C9.

GNRJosh

Morning everyone. I have a question. I mostly game on my tv. I'll be coming from a 1080p tv. I will be buying extended warranty which dose cover bur in. I've double checked it dose.

How big of a risk is burn in for someone who games alot?. I work so it's not like it's going to be on 20 hours a day etc. I'm guessing long gaming sessions r out the window?. Is the C9 worth the money/risk?. I don't want to have to be calling the company everyone few months to replace tut panel.

Thank you in advance.

DaveWillo

Morning everyone. I have a question. I mostly game on my tv. I'll be coming from a 1080p tv. I will be buying extended warranty which dose cover bur in. I've double checked it dose.

How big of a risk is burn in for someone who games alot?. I work so it's not like it's going to be on 20 hours a day etc. I'm guessing long gaming sessions r out the window?. Is the C9 worth the money/risk?. I don't want to have to be calling the company everyone few months to replace tut panel.

Thank you in advance.
I suppose it depends on what "a lot" is, I manage about 1 hour per day on most days after work and there's not a hint of screen burn after 6 months ownership. I usually play FPS games with a HUD (Battlefield).
Cheers,
Dave

Rieper47

Agreed, it all comes down to what sort of games and how long. I game a lot of my oled with no issues, but typically the games I play have minimal or dynamic huds. Bright/vivid reds and yellows historically were of concern but the latest panels are said to be more resilient.

MadManMarcus

Thank you in advance.
My C9 is only 6 weeks old so cant comment on that, but I had my C6 for 4 years and played games on that for many many hours, including ones with static huds, and never had any hint of an issue. Those on ebay that I have seen with screen burn mainly seem to have been damaged by 24 hour news tickers or static channel identifiers (Cbeebies seems to be quite a common one!). I suspect those with issues have also been using 'vivid' picture settings rather than the ISF dark (or the HDR equivalents) which is close to reference and is what you should be using. Instant game response on C9 means you can use ISF dark etc. without any increase in input latency of game mode.

MadManMarcus

Hello everyone,

I am a new C9 65" owner and I've been browsing the forums the last few days looking at all of the great information!

My panel has some of the dreaded magenta tint on the left side of the screen. I have not tested for uniformity because it's so new, and I don't know how to test peak brightness or black levels.

While I now know it is fairly typical to have some tint in the screen, I'm curious how my panel compares to most others and if I should go through the hassle of returning it. It is fairly obvious in all the usual ways, white and light backgrounds, makes grass and sky look a little off. It's a little better if you're sitting off to the right side, which is not where I sit!

I jumped on the C9 band wagon at the last minute because I saw that the last of the stock was drying up, and that the CX 2020 model had HDMI ports that had less bandwidth capability. (Maybe that isn't a big deal?)

That being said, returning it now means I won't have the option of getting a C9 as a replacement unless I get a different size maybe. Thank you for reading and any advice you may have!

(Shot with an iPhone 11 - This looks maybe slightly worse than in-person, but it is quite obvious.)

Left:
View attachment 1342284

Center:
View attachment 1342285
Doesn't seem too bad - similar to what my previous C6 had. I only ever noticed that when watching winter sports or snow scenes and even then I had to go looking for it. My 65 C9 (6 weeks old) doesn't have any discernible tinting, but I might have just been lucky so I wouldn't take that as a recommendation to return/swap your set.

Edit:

Here is the link to the C6 thread where I posted a photo of the pink tinting on my C6:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Netflix / diseny / amazon /apple tv all play dolby vision via the tv apps

Not anymore you don't. Amazon appear to have dropped both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision from the few titles that previously included it. You no longer get Dolby Vision in association with Jack Ryan (series 1), Bosch (season 2) or Suspira if accessing them via the Amazon app on the C9. You now only get HDR10 in association with these titles.

Similarly, you no longer get Atmos in association with the first Jack Ryan series, Carnival Row or Suspiria.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Just check @dante01 sadly all true
Hopefully Amazon will wise up and restore the DV titles / Atmos tracks, HDR10+ is no longer gaining any traction (you could argue did it ever).

KayuraX

Doesn't seem too bad - similar to what my previous C6 had. I only ever noticed that when watching winter sports or snow scenes and even then I had to go looking for it. My 65 C9 (6 weeks old) doesn't have any discernible tinting, but I might have just been lucky so I wouldn't take that as a recommendation to return/swap your set.

Edit:

Here is the link to the C6 thread where I posted a photo of the pink tinting on my C6:

Thank you for the reply and comparison, it's appreciated. I'm leaning towards returning this one at this point.