Quantcast

LG OLED C9 Owners and Discussion Thread

Barney Gumble

Is there a way to turn off dynamic brightness? I have all power saving crap turned off and only today noticed the TV changing brightness insanely specifically if you watch Tom Segura's new special on Netflix which is Dolby Vision. The shots with the stage lights trigger the screen to raise the brightness and then it stays as such then slowly goes back to being dimmer.... If anyone could confirm that on that content... It's really distracting and never noticed this much anywhere else
Possibly the ABL kicking in?

A quick pop up of one of the TV menus and it should settle it.

pgriffiths

Novice Member
If you haven't done-so already try disconnecting the mains power from every device for around 60 seconds. And power up again...
Tried unplugging again (1 minute) as well as internet. I also did a factory reset on TV and re-install of Netflix.

Watching the problems in the video and replaying, I see that the errors in the video are entirely consistent --- same wrong colors, pixelation, etc. in the same parts of the image when replaying a scene. I can turn off the TV, come back to the scene and it plays wrong in the same places the same way.

Either LG software/firmware (4.71.05) is incompatible with Netflix (1.44.99) or I have a TV that I need to return. If anyone can confirm that they have a 2019 C9 oled and Netflix is working for all titles (often the popular stuff like The Crown that don't decode right), then I guess something in the hardware is broken and I'll return the TV.

Barney Gumble

So......kids stuff then. ;)
Sir, I do believe you are fishing:laugh:.

Star Wars; the age old story of good vs evil, transcends time and generations.

I'm 49, my dad took me to see the 'original' three and I'm far from alone in carrying a torch for these films as I near my fifties.

And 'Rogue One' is just superb. There wasn't any kids in the cinema when I went to see that.

whitesnake11

Sir, I do believe you are fishing:laugh:.

Star Wars; the age old story of good vs evil, transcends time and generations.

I'm 49, my dad took me to see the 'original' three and I'm far from alone in carrying a torch for these films as I near my fifties.

And 'Rogue One' is just superb. There wasn't any kids in the cinema when I went to see that.
Maybe the kids of today see it for the rubbish it is....................hold on I’ll grab my tin hat:eek::eek:

Joe C

Hello folks, joining this thread as a late transfer in the season - my C8 died and it’s been swapped for a C9. Haven’t noticed much difference yet (other than it’s working), but am very happy to be in the land of OLED again.

Curiously, I say swapped, but I’ve been left with the C8 - delivery company said they can’t pick it up due to COVID-19 restrictions, so Curry’s have asked me to dispose of it. Given I think it’s just the power supply that’s gone, I’m going to have a go at fixing it myself

NatFlenders

I see online videos that C9 switches to game mode when a game is launched on xbox one. But for me it already switches when I turn on xbox itself. Any way to change this? Do not want to have game mode when watching Youtube on Xbox for example...

the fife flyer

Hello everybody.

I would like to know if upgrading to HDMI 2.1 cables changes the problem or not.

Thanks a lot.
I`ve done some searching through the forum and some say this doesn`t exist. Some say it makes no difference if you have the 18 Gb ethernets.

Now I`ve just purchased one so that when I wall mount my TV at the weekend, I`ll have it in place as the cable runs behind the wall down to my peripherals and will save any faffing about when I get my new eARC enabled AVR.

@dante01 I know you`re very well clued up..........are these cables necessary? I`m waiting on a Yamaha 3080 coming so that`s what the cable will run to.

dante01

Distinguished Member
A 48Gbps cable is only required if both the source and the display have HDMI version 2.1 and if wanting to extol the additional features commonly associated with HDMI 2.1. This would only be beneficial if the content being conveyed is of a type that requires the additional bandwidth. 8K video for example will need 48Gbps.

If your sources are all predating HDMI version 2.1 then you will not benefit from the additional bandwidth. HDMI version 2.0 is limited to just 18Gbs irrespective of the cable's claimed abilities.

Last edited:

the fife flyer

Thanks for your prompt reply Dante.

Barney Gumble

Maybe the kids of today see it for the rubbish it is....................hold on I’ll grab my tin hat:eek::eek:
Kids of today have no patience. The Youtube/Spotify generation turn music off if they don't hear lyrics in the first thirty seconds.

So, artists have changed the way they make/write music to suit. Just nuts.

I've got records that spend five minutes or more building up before a word is spoken.

Nah, if people don't like Star Wars or just haven't subscribed to Disney+, it's not my place to judge.

For my part, I am really happy with the experience so far. Disney+ offers a great, slick interface via the TV's built-in app and the quality of the content available in DV is excellent. It pee's all over the quality of the available content via Sky Q and their effort at UHD.

Just missing Atmos due to the bitrate throttling on some films for thirty days.

Bendix

Yes it does. I do have a Chromecast Ultra for 4k but you can cast from devices direct to the TV without one. Airplay was added a while ago but casting was always available
It don’t- and don’t correct someone when you don’t know for sure. It does not have Chromecast built in- that’s the question. It does however have chromecast alike apps that can help.

theese are the manufacturers with build in chromecast

whitesnake11

Kids of today have no patience. The Youtube/Spotify generation turn music off if they don't hear lyrics in the first thirty seconds.

So, artists have changed the way they make/write music to suit. Just nuts.

I've got records that spend five minutes or more building up before a word is spoken.

Nah, if people don't like Star Wars or just haven't subscribed to Disney+, it's not my place to judge.

For my part, I am really happy with the experience so far. Disney+ offers a great, slick interface via the TV's built-in app and the quality of the content available in DV is excellent. It pee's all over the quality of the available content via Sky Q and their effort at UHD.

Just missing Atmos due to the bitrate throttling on some films for thirty days.
I have to say I won’t be subscribing to Disney Given the majority of the content, sci-fi horror is more my bag.

I fully agree with your comments about the young and music, I’m into prog rock where you often have to wait before hearing any vocals. As long as you’re getting enjoyment and value for money that’s all that matters.

Ains

It don’t- and don’t correct someone when you don’t know for sure. It does not have Chromecast built in- that’s the question. It does however have chromecast alike apps that can help.

theese are the manufacturers with build in chromecast

I'll stand corrected on the actual Chromecast technology but I read the original post as just referring to the ability to cast to the TV, which it does and doesn't require any additional support or apps

Jones

Just setup my new C9. All looks good. But neither the List or Guide buttons do anything on either freeview or freesat, even though both play fine and show program details, and let me scroll through whats on for the next few hours - so clearly the data is there.

I just get the spinning dots and then nothing happens. Any idea?

Barney Gumble

Really? Just opening any menu and it settles it down? :s until it needs to be done again? Is there no way to fully turn it off?
If that's what it is, the ABL, then the only way to disable it is by entering the service menu. I wouldn't do so and you do so at your own risk.

It is hidden with good reason.

You'll need a special remote apparently, or a programmable one. I'm certain if you search the thread, should you be so inclined, you'll find the information on remotes etc.

KrazyKev

Just wondering if anyone knows that the C9 supports VRR and HDR at the same time? also upto what frame rate ? with new consoles on the horizon this is one of the main reasons buying a C9 with all the hdmi 2.1 features.

pgriffiths

Novice Member
If you haven't done-so already try disconnecting the mains power from every device for around 60 seconds. And power up again...
Pulled the power on TV and internet for a minute. I then also tried a factory reset of the TV. Some Netflix videos play with the same decoding issues.

Attached a 1-2 second clip of the decoding errors in case it is helpful. If I replay sections of affected video the errors are identical so it is not random losses or corruption. Seems either LG software/firmware 4.71.05 is incompatible with Netflix or my TV has some bad decoding hardware. Other services like Amazon work flawlessly. But maybe Netflix is using some particular feature of the LG hardware ... incorrectly.

Attachments

NatFlenders

I see online videos that C9 switches to game mode when a game is launched on xbox one. But for me it already switches when I turn on xbox itself. Any way to change this? Do not want to have game mode when watching Youtube on Xbox for example...
Played a bit with settings, if I change resolution to 1440p with 120hz it works as it should (game mode starting when launching game). When I change back to 4K 60Hz game mode starts instantly...