Quantcast

LG OLED C9 Owners and Discussion Thread

ye
Is UHD part of that HD deal or is that a separate extra?

They say all that is free for 18 months, so what's the catch?
yeah the UHD is in the deal, I think the catch is you have to get the multiroom to achieve all of the discounts but I already had that so it's fine

73HENNY

I had an old Sky Boxsets contract, had to reset to the new Sky Entertainments package with the LG deal. Told the sky guy that I didn't mind loosing Boxsets because I watch Netflix And Prime mainly. He said if I pay Sky for my Netflix subscription (your Netflix account doesn't change) that I would get the Boxsets free. So my Sky is free for 18 months and I only pay £12 per month for Netflix!
Have you lost the ability to watch Netflix via the TV App now you pay Sky for Netflix? If so you'll have lost HDR from Netflix.

SeeMoreDigital

Have you lost the ability to watch Netflix via the TV App now you pay Sky for Netflix? If so you'll have lost HDR from Netflix.
Your Netflix package stays exactly as it was ,your just paying Sky for it
Given that Sky still does not offer HDR, how different does Netflix 4K HDR content via the LG TV app compare to the Sky box.... If that makes sense!?

Barney Gumble

Warm 2 turns whites pure yellow/brown, I just can't get used to that even if it is more accurrate.
Warm 2 isn't turning whites yellow. Warm 2 is in fact reducing the blue tint, which has been added to make whites look whiter but, isn't natural.

Give it a while for your eyes to adjust;).

SeeMoreDigital

Warm 2 is supposedly closer to D65, which is where we want to be. Hence why warm 2 is the defacto sub setting in the cinema preset and others such as ISF etc.
However, with 'Warm 2' white is not white and can't be adjusted to look white!

lisnalee

Warm 2 isn't turning whites yellow. Warm 2 is in fact reducing the blue tint, which has been added to make whites look whiter but, isn't natural.

Give it a while for your eyes to adjust;).
I can see where your coming from and I did try it for the first day or so but could always still can see the tint on whites. Maybe I just prefer a cooler image?

lisnalee

Watched aquaman uhd in full last night and it was stunning. I had the dyamanic tone mapping switched on the C9. It made a massive difference in bringing out finer details in clouds, reducing bloom in sunsets etc and no real downsides that I could see.

Sure is maybe not be accurate per say but imo it's a more complete looking picture than letting the TV clip the image at about 700 nits and loose out on a lot of fine detail.

May not work as well for every film but I'd recommend using it.

DaveWillo

Watched aquaman uhd in full last night and it was stunning. I had the dyamanic tone mapping switched on the C9. It made a massive difference in bringing out finer details in clouds, reducing bloom in sunsets etc and no real downsides that I could see.

Sure is maybe not be accurate per say but imo it's a more complete looking picture than letting the TV clip the image at about 700 nits and loose out on a lot of fine detail.

May not work as well for every film but I'd recommend using it.
The whole settings issue is very subjective - the best settings are the ones that work for you.:thumbsup:

Barney Gumble

However, with 'Warm 2' white is not white and can't be adjusted to look white!
Alright chap, calm down. No need for the exclamation mark.

"Usually the Colour Temperature setting that is closest to D65 is Warm and other settings such as Neutral or Cool will have too much blue and thus be inaccurate. Manufacturers do this because if you add blue to white, it appears 'whiter' but it is only a trick and in fact D65/Warm will properly replicate the content creators intention."

The words of Steve Withers.

Alas, I'm not clever enough to come up with the logic myself.

lisnalee

Agreed. Individuals settings take into account their own taste and viewing environment.

If @lisnalee has tried warm and doesn't like it, who are we to tell them how to watch and enjoy their TV, that they paid for.
I'd like to to have as close to reference as i can but yellow snow just won't do 😀

Appreciate all the input though 👍

Just noticed last night the lg TV remote will pause/play a uhd on the xbox one x once its up and running, which is handy.

Last edited:

astirling

Agreed. Individuals settings take into account their own taste and viewing environment.

If @lisnalee has tried warm and doesn't like it, who are we to tell them how to watch and enjoy their TV, that they paid for.
not sure anyone is doing that. But if people are asking for settings and people are suggesting settings which alter the image from ‘how the director intended’ it’s worth pointing that out so others understand. I’d also strongly recommend against calibration for anyone who is using warm 1 etc. as they’re going to be dissatisfied with the outcome.

NW1979

Novice Member
Hi

After using and loving the 8500 plasma for 6 years i would like to obtain some opinion of the following.

General Sky q picture, my first impressions were the samsung produced a better picture, most notably in the foregrounds where faces appear blurred on the C9, is there a setting i can adjust for this? I have turned off all notable motion judder and others controls, its not as noticable as at first but still notable. I am using standard picture settings for day to day viewing and have made minimal adjustments, after a good week of viewing the picture is very depandant on the HD content and varies per channel quite a bit, however i am now of the opinion that the general picture if on par with if not better than the plasma in certain conditions, this is more to do with the quality of the samsung rather than the deficiancies of the OLED.

Playing a blu ray of the hobbit I cannot see any notable difference in the picture quality and detail between the old and the plamsa which i was a bit suprised to see. Again any comment on this?

The most notable disappointment was the 4k coverage of sky cinema and sports, really not too noticable than watching 1080p to say its a substantial leap, how can it be that a blue ray is producing notable better picture than a UHD film on sky?

When watching 4k content on amazon prime and bbc i player where hdr is applied is enough to justify the purchase, so am i right in thinking that the jump to 4k from 1080p is not that noticable but from 1080p to 4k hdr is the notable jump or am i missing something with sky q UHD?

Just on another matter had to raise the height of the oled to accomodate my sound bar so i purchased a 100cm glass monitor riser which does the job perfectly.

Thank you, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ains

General Sky q picture, my first impressions were the samsung produced a better picture, most notably in the foregrounds where faces appear blurred on the C9, is there a setting i can adjust for this? I have turned off all notable motion judder and others controls, its not as noticable as at first but still notable. I am using standard picture settings for day to day viewing and have made minimal adjustments, after a good week of viewing the picture is very depandant on the HD content and varies per channel quite a bit, however i am now of the opinion that the general picture if on par with if not better than the plasma in certain conditions, this is more to do with the quality of the samsung rather than the deficiancies of the OLED.
I find Sky Q variable and the C9 certainly shows up any deficiencies in the source material but I've had an OLED for around 9 months now, the last 5 months with the C9, and there are still moments when i look at the picture find it jaw-dropping. If you haven't already switched your Sky Q to 10801 rather than 2160 then do so immediately - the picture is noticeably better when the TV up-scales rather than the Sky Q. Just switch to the higher setting when you need to
The most notable disappointment was the 4k coverage of sky cinema and sports, really not too noticable than watching 1080p to say its a substantial leap, how can it be that a blue ray is producing notable better picture than a UHD film on sky?
Agree partly with you here. I have the 55" and sit around 12/13 feet from the screen and there's little appreciable difference in 4k programmes (on Sky) rather than 1080. I DO still notice a difference on football, however but it's not earth shattering. I would imagine sitting closer or a bigger screen WOULD make a bigger difference.
how can it be that a blue ray is producing notable better picture than a UHD film on sky?
A Blu-ray is carrying MUCH more data than a 4k HDR stream. Yes your Sky film (or Netflix etc) is 4k HDR but it's still compressed. Blu-ray really is the way to see the maximum impact of this sort of TV
am i right in thinking that the jump to 4k from 1080p is not that noticable but from 1080p to 4k hdr is the notable jump or am i missing something with sky q UHD?
I think HDR is the thing (at least when you're streaming). A good 1080 stream with HDR is still a great leap in overall quality, but, as I said earlier, that may be less of a case if you are closer or have a bigger screen.

leelaw

Hi

After using and loving the 8500 plasma for 6 years i would like to obtain some opinion of the following.

Playing a blu ray of the hobbit I cannot see any notable difference in the picture quality and detail between the old and the plamsa which i was a bit suprised to see. Again any comment on this?

When watching 4k content on amazon prime and bbc i player where hdr is applied is enough to justify the purchase, so am i right in thinking that the jump to 4k from 1080p is not that noticable but from 1080p to 4k hdr is the notable jump or am i missing something with sky q UHD?

Just on another matter had to raise the height of the oled to accomodate my sound bar so i purchased a 100cm glass monitor riser which does the job perfectly.

Thank you, any comments would be greatly appreciated.
I agree with every word you have said. I have the exact same experience. I dont understand why faces do look a little blurred. I have sky set to 1080i as the previous post suggests. PS4 looks fantastic, bluray looks excellent and 4k hdr youtube videos look amazing. It seems that my old sony 55hx853 led looks better on HD/FHD.

tintin jones

Hi guys quick one here. I am trying to maximise my limited Internet speed (8mb) so decided to hook my c9 via homeplugs to the Internet instead of going wirelessly which has always worked fine. Problem is I've connected the homeplugs directly to router and TV, no adapters etc, but the C9 gives me the message "no Internet via ethernet". I've reset everything replaced the network cables at both points and still the same. It's driving me mad now. WiFi connection is turned off. Anyone any idea what's going on?

Attachments

NW1979

Novice Member
I find Sky Q variable and the C9 certainly shows up any deficiencies in the source material but I've had an OLED for around 9 months now, the last 5 months with the C9, and there are still moments when i look at the picture find it jaw-dropping. If you haven't already switched your Sky Q to 10801 rather than 2160 then do so immediately - the picture is noticeably better when the TV up-scales rather than the Sky Q. Just switch to the higher setting when you need to

Agree partly with you here. I have the 55" and sit around 12/13 feet from the screen and there's little appreciable difference in 4k programmes (on Sky) rather than 1080. I DO still notice a difference on football, however but it's not earth shattering. I would imagine sitting closer or a bigger screen WOULD make a bigger difference.

A Blu-ray is carrying MUCH more data than a 4k HDR stream. Yes your Sky film (or Netflix etc) is 4k HDR but it's still compressed. Blu-ray really is the way to see the maximum impact of this sort of TV

I think HDR is the thing (at least when you're streaming). A good 1080 stream with HDR is still a great leap in overall quality, but, as I said earlier, that may be less of a case if you are closer or have a bigger screen.
Thank you so much for the helpful comments, 1080I done!

NW1979

Novice Member
I agree with every word you have said. I have the exact same experience. I dont understand why faces do look a little blurred. I have sky set to 1080i as the previous post suggests. PS4 looks fantastic, bluray looks excellent and 4k hdr youtube videos look amazing. It seems that my old sony 55hx853 led looks better on HD/FHD.
It seems to be faces in the background rather than foreground as I previously mentioned in error, it a bit odd as the closer faces are very clear, thank you.

leelaw

It seems to be faces in the background rather than foreground as I previously mentioned in error, it a bit odd as the closer faces are very clear, thank you.
Again, I agree with you:) But whats nearer I guess would be clearer as its bigger on the screen?

The dimming during sport is really spoiling my enjoyment of this tv. It’s really aggressive. Looks like a grey filter across the whole picture on BBC1 at the moment

MissBimbo

Standard Member
I tried watching a film on Warm 3 just for fun and got really nauseous.

The film is Marriage Story. That whole film has very warm lighting and makes even Cool look like warm 2.

Yeap. Go watch marriage story on warm 3.