LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

I have the same TV, it’s not on the list, presumably fine then.

Thanks yeah take a deep breath for now lol, mines is on wall on AVF mount thats so tight to wall, and at the moment would not be able to ask anyone else to help take it off wall with me!

A09A0231-CEC6-4591-A227-91B656BAFF49.jpeg

Did this just pop up?

Yes, 10 minutes ago. I've been on the engineering firmware for a couple of years so this might not be a fully public release yet.

E2C35867-2D93-4CF8-A86F-FF96E2782CAC.jpeg

847EF86F-F639-466F-8EBB-C891A86CD219.jpeg

Doesn't recognise the Dolby Vision video from the iPhone 12 Pro as HDR (to be expected I think), and there's a slight stutter. But this is the first time I've ever used Airplay for video so not sure what to expect.

ah cool that be good for showing pics/vids from iphone!

If mine is a OLED65C8PLA bought August 2018, it is not in the list on link from above?
Only the G8 is for 65".

Yes, as on that page and explained before, for 2018 models and later, the power issues are ONLY on 77" + models.

Just got a call from LG confirming a replacement for the power board booked and an engineer will call to confirm in 48 hours.
She said that they aren't required and/or supposed to move a set from the wall or a stand and so you are!
It's a 77" set, love! I won't be moving it. She said, oh, OK. Most will move it if you ask but they aren't supposed to or insured!
So, on the one hand quick response and on the other unrealistic/unfair to expect owners to have themselves and another available to move the set about for them.

Just got a call from LG confirming a replacement for the power board booked and an engineer will call to confirm in 48 hours.
She said that they aren't required and/or supposed to move a set from the wall or a stand and so you are!
It's a 77" set, love! I won't be moving it. She said, oh, OK. Most will move it if you ask but they aren't supposed to or insured!
So, on the one hand quick response and on the other unrealistic/unfair to expect owners to have themselves and another available to move the set about for them.

Right. So when the engineer phones you, that's your chance to ask in advance if he'll help move it from the wall or not.
If not, you just arrange with the engineer to book the appointment at such a time that you've already moved it from the wall with your own help in advance.

Sounds as if it's easy to avoid a surprise "I won't help you, I'm going bye" situation on the day.

Right. So when the engineer phones you, that's your chance to ask in advance if he'll help move it from the wall or not.
If not, you just arrange with the engineer to book the appointment at such a time that you've already moved it from the wall with your own help in advance.

Sounds as if it's easy to avoid a surprise "I won't help you, I'm going bye" situation on the day.
I just think it's unfair to expect such or, if someone can't due to disability, pandemic and/or Billy no mates.
When I had an issue with a Panasonic set, they had a two man team; as they said themselves that owing to the size of sets it was unreasonable to expect customers move them about from a stand or wall and then for the engineer.
Oh well. I'll find out soon enough.

Finally, looking promising......
I just checked mine and there are no updates available yet.
I wonder what the HomeKit app will allow you to do with the TV mmmmmm

Not a lot. Power on/off, and change inputs seems to be about it.

FF9CB260-81CA-4DAA-8606-6557AE66682A.png
9094B744-2D7E-4A21-87BA-9FDE2EE6D5DE.png
C6FEF422-9A56-44C0-9925-E741DA85A4EC.jpeg

A guy on a German hifi-forum, said he was offered 5.30.01 this morning. (E8)
If that's the official version, they must do it to spite the ones who installed 5.30.02?
I have 5.20.10 now, and haven't been offered 5.30.01... anyone else in here?

If you contact LG for a power board swap, this is the email you'll receive:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting LG regarding the free power board replacement scheme.

We are emailing today to confirm the booking to replace your OLED TV’s power board. The job has now been sent to our Engineer, who will be in contact within the next 48 hours to confirm the date and a time slot for the replacement.

What do you need to do before the Engineer arrives?

• If your TV is on a wall mount it must be removed before the Engineer arrives. They are not insured to do this for you.
• The engineers will be wearing PPE when they attend your property. Please check the latest Government advice on the Corona Virus and your local advice prior to the visit, here: Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance and support
• If you develop Covid-19 symptoms prior to the visit and need to self-isolate, please inform us so we can rearrange the appointment for you.

What will happen when the engineer arrives?

* The repair will be performed in your home but, due to current Government advice social distancing will need to be in place. The area where the repair is performed will need to be of sufficient size to allow the repair to take place whilst maintaining social distancing. In most cases it will be safer for our engineers and for yourself, to be in a different room whilst the repair is taking place.
* The repair will take approximately 30 mins to complete.
* Please make sure the room is well ventilated IE: open windows and doors where possible.

If the above points are of concern to you or not possible, we can delay the repair until the Covid situation improves and normal service can resume.

A guy on a German hifi-forum, said he was offered 5.30.01 this morning. (E8)
If that's the official version, they must do it to spite the ones who installed 5.30.02?
I have 5.20.10 now, and haven't been offered 5.30.01... anyone else in here?

Pretty sure mine was 5.20 something to when looked on weekend, said no updates available!

Hi Raymondo since updating the firmware have you noticed that the webos task bar comes up on turning the tv on?

No. I don't turn my TV off, only ever put it on standby and it comes back on the same as it did before the update.

Since Saturday I’ve started to have an issue with my C8.

The pointer on remote stops working. To be more specific itlooks like there’s an issue with the Bluetooth so the remote reverts to purely IR.

The only way I’ve found to resolve it is to power off at the wall (the first thing I actually tried was to unpair and then pair the TV and remote). When powered back on the remote and tv are properly paired again.

Not sure if this is an issue with a component in the TV or the remote itself, but if it’s the former I’m not looking forward to trying to get it repaired; you just know the first thing they say is to reset to factory settings, which means goodbye to my calibration. 😢

Might try to source a magic remote, and hope the TV itself is fine. 🤞🏼

Since Saturday I’ve started to have an issue with my C8.

The pointer on remote stops working. To be more specific itlooks like there’s an issue with the Bluetooth so the remote reverts to purely IR.

The only way I’ve found to resolve it is to power off at the wall (the first thing I actually tried was to unpair and then pair the TV and remote).

Not sure if this is an issue with a component in the TV or the remote itself, but if it’s the former I’m not looking forward to trying to get it repaired; you just know the first thing they say is to reset to factory settings, which means goodbye to my calibration. 😢

Might try to source a magic remote, and hope the TV itself is fine. 🤞🏼

I had this exact same issue crop up about a month ago, and about a year before that. The functions that rely on Bluetooth stopped working, such as the pointer, but the IR was ok.

At the same time the batteries in the remote had got low, and after a new set of batteries I never saw the issue again.

Might be coincidence but worth trying. It kind of makes sense as the BT and IR modules are separate and the BT uses more power.

That said, my magic remote is looking in worse shape than any other remote I’ve had for this long and might need replacing. The button text/images have rubbed off, and the battery cover falls off so I had to by a silicone remote cover (which is a good buy anyway). Build quality of the LG magic remote is poor IMO.

I had this exact same issue crop up about a month ago, and about a year before that. The functions that rely on Bluetooth stopped working, such as the pointer, but the IR was ok.

At the same time the batteries in the remote had got low, and after a new set of batteries I never saw the issue again.

Might be coincidence but worth trying. It kind of makes sense as the BT and IR modules are separate and the BT uses more power.

That said, my magic remote is looking in worse shape than any other remote I’ve had for this long and might need replacing. The button text/images have rubbed off, and the battery cover falls off so I had to by a silicone remote cover (which is a good buy anyway). Build quality of the LG magic remote is poor IMO.

Oh thanks, that’s a good call. I’ll change the batteries to see if that fixes it. I’d expect to get a battery low notification but there’s no guarantee that one of the engineering firmware I’ve installed over the last two years haven’t inadvertently broken the notification!

Most of the buttons on my remote are mystery functions now, relying purely on muscle memory to figure out what does what! 🤣

Oh thanks, that’s a good call. I’ll change the batteries to see if that fixes it. I’d expect to get a battery low notification but there’s no guarantee that one of the engineering firmware I’ve installed over the last two years haven’t inadvertently broken the notification!

Most of the buttons on my remote are mystery functions now, relying purely on muscle memory to figure out what does what! 🤣

I had the same thought. I didn’t get a battery low notification initially either, but it did happen not to long after the issues started. And then I go months without seeing the issue after changing batteries. I really do think it’s battery/power related.

On a side note, have you considered a replacement remote? I see there’s a few knock-offs available but wasn’t sure if something official would be better. Although to be fair, I would have thought this one was a knock-off, given how it looks now.

Does anyone else’s Magic remote look like this?

221DE93F-3E19-4CA1-AB22-1A3CE5E84B6B.jpeg

I have no idea what was on the bottom 3 buttons now. I’m pretty sure disappearing buttons were not what LG had in mind when they named it the Magic remote 😂

I had the same thought. I didn’t get a battery low notification initially either, but it did happen not to long after the issues started. And then I go months without seeing the issue after changing batteries. I really do think it’s battery/power related.

On a side note, have you considered a replacement remote? I see there’s a few knock-offs available but wasn’t sure if something official would be better. Although to be fair, I would have thought this one was a knock-off, given how it looks now.

If I replace it I’d want a genuine LG remote, the same part that came with the TV. But I haven’t looked at any other alternatives so couldn’t say if a knock off would be better.

The text wearing off the buttons is crap, maybe it’s to be expected over a couple of years but considering how expensive this TV was when I bought it I think it’s a poor showing from LG.

E48D49F3-D175-4B2B-B418-8126DE892985.jpeg

If I replace it I’d want a genuine LG remote, the same part that came with the TV. But I haven’t looked at any other alternatives so couldn’t say if a knock off would be better.

The text wearing off the buttons is crap, maybe it’s to be expected over a couple of years but considering how expensive this TV was when I bought it I think it’s a poor showing from LG.

View attachment 1426285
So after a couple of years my magic remote, you can tell I use it a lot as I tend to use the harmony remote

Attachments

• 655A8051-0343-4E9C-A8C6-4A3379E58B42.jpeg
    655A8051-0343-4E9C-A8C6-4A3379E58B42.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 114

That's incredible. Mine looks nothing like that. The "B" on the back button is ever so slightly worn, but that is the full extent of any visible change; after heavy use since Aug 2018.

On your picture, a lot of the plastic is really shiny and the texture has worn away, eg on the right side next to the P up/down. What on earth have you done to it?! ;) . Either way, that's not happening with most users, otherwise these forums would be flooded with complaints and other examples (the same basic "magic remote" has been supplied for some years before the 2018 models remember).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom