LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

That looks like a hardware fault on the panel to me.
I would have agreed, but I only have this issue with 1080p content exclusively on the inbuilt Netflix and Disney plus apps. Works fine on Nvidia shield and Virgin Netflix. LG’s initial diagnosis is that it’s a software bug and I’ll have to live with it! Yeah right. The TV is not fit for purpose so I’ll be fighting that one. They’ve now asked for more detail so I’ll update the thread once I have news.

I would have agreed, but I only have this issue with 1080p content exclusively on the inbuilt Netflix and Disney plus apps. Works fine on Nvidia shield and Virgin Netflix.

Hmm, that's a puzzler.

LG’s initial diagnosis is that it’s a software bug and I’ll have to live with it! Yeah right. The TV is not fit for purpose so I’ll be fighting that one.

Quite right!
If it's a software bug, how come there are not thousands of users with the same issue?
If it's a software bug, you would be able load up several C8s side by side all with the same firmware version and app versions, play the same content, and have them all screw up in identical ways.

Unless they are including their own firmware in the definition of "software" (which it is).

They’ve now asked for more detail so I’ll update the thread once I have news.

Cool, please do :)

Just tried the iplayer and ITV hub and it seems the issue is presented on all the catch up services too. Someone on the forum suggested it be a H264 deciding issue.
I’ve forwarded this forage to LG along with the other details they’ve asked for. I had forgotten that the power lead is fixed, so as LG wanted a pic of the rear to show Serial number, I now need to replaster the wall where the lead was buried 🤬

LOL! Why on earth didn't you run the cable in a conduit, in the wall? Plastering directly into the wall is madness.

Last edited:
LOL! Why on earth didn't you run the cable in a conduit? Plastering directly into the wall is madness.
If you mean running conduit on the outside of the wall, then I’m afraid that’s a massive no no for me, looks awful - sorry. I prefer to have all my cabling hidden in the wall - looks so much better IMO.
not much point running conduit behind plaster to be honest as it’s a 10 min job filling a 1cm channel up the wall.

If you mean running conduit on the outside of the wall, then I’m afraid that’s a massive no no for me, looks awful - sorry.

Wow, no, not in a million years, that would look awful. I've clarified my earlier post just in case someone else also misinterprets it :)

I prefer to have all my cabling hidden in the wall - looks so much better IMO.
not much point running conduit behind plaster to be honest as it’s a 10 min job filling a 1cm channel up the wall.

Of course, but if it's run in conduit it's a zero minute job, that was the point! There is "much point" in running conduit, as you've found out ... ;) .

Wow, no, not in a million years, that would look awful. I've clarified my earlier post just in case someone else also misinterprets it :)

Good, we’re both in agreement on that then 😉

Of course, but if it's run in conduit it's a zero minute job, that was the point! There is "much point" in running conduit, as you've found out ... ;) .
I do agree in hindsight, but given the power lead is fixed, it would have meant cutting off plugs and so on so I chose not too. Not the best decision it seems.
In saying that, I’ve run all my leads and cables in the wall without conduit 🤦 . At least I’ll be supporting my local DIY store when it comes to buying materials and paint to fill it 😊.

Hello. I have a LG OLED and never could pair it with the LG ThinQ app, the tv shows up availlable for connection on the app but never pairs. Already tried reinstalling the app, restarted router and Tv, changed wi-fi from 5g. I Think the only way to give comands from my smartphkne to tv (google assistant) is having the ThinQ correctly connected with Tv.
Could you please help me out? 🙏

Just in case anyone else is confused like my friend was - this Notification from LG about the removal of "BBC News" and "BBC Sport" is talking about apps, and NOT TV CHANNELS!!!!

Nothing is going to happen to the BBC News Television channel. It's not going anywhere.

1604919645030.png

When you launch these two apps, it is a lot clearer. But if you don't use them, it MIGHT be possible to misinterpret LG's message. :)

1604919727532.png

1604919755460.png

HTH

Just in case anyone else is confused like my friend was - this Notification from LG about the removal of "BBC News" and "BBC Sport" is talking about apps, and NOT TV CHANNELS!!!!

Nothing is going to happen to the BBC News Television channel. It's not going anywhere.

View attachment 1397670

When you launch these two apps, it is a lot clearer. But if you don't use them, it MIGHT be possible to misinterpret LG's message. :)

View attachment 1397671
View attachment 1397673
HTH
Yeah I noticed that. Had me wondering if Freesat was ditching them too like C4HD .
Clear as mud. I was thinking that'll be a pain as iplayer doesn't allow for screen ratios. I often put beeb news in all direction to avoid burn in and say, wow, they look much more threatening.:D.

Yeah I noticed that. Had me wondering if Freesat was ditching them too like C4HD .
Clear as mud. I was thinking that'll be a pain as iplayer doesn't allow for screen ratios. I often put beeb news in all direction to avoid burn in and say, wow, they look much more threatening.:D.

Hehe. I think the problem is that there also happens to be a channel called "BBC News". It looks like a boilerplate message that LG would send if, say, Netflix or Disney+ shut down, and no-one at all from the UK LG team was allowed to intervene.

Does anyone else get a blank blue screen when loading Disney up? It happens quite often, and then other times it's fine. I have to unplug the TV and turn it back on to get it working.

Does anyone else get a blank blue screen when loading Disney up? It happens quite often, and then other times it's fine. I have to unplug the TV and turn it back on to get it working.
Same here.

Had this happen at the weekend. I sorted it without having to power cycle the TV though.

For me, closing the app by hovering over the app title clicking the “x” like so:
DAFB518C-DFE7-4281-A6EA-E346EDA8154E.jpeg

Then long pressing the Home key and closing off the recents item like so:
B803ECC2-0777-47A5-A64B-65BFD8207FA3.jpeg

fixed it. Simply closing the app (step 1) wasn’t enough. (Note: I’ve just taken those photos for example purposes, obviously Disney+ is working for me at the moment.)

Force closing didn’t work for me, tried it multiple times. Only a complete hard power cycle (off at the wall) would help.

Has there been a software update recently that updated Disney+ and Apple Airplay?

I've seen someone selling one in the classifieds who mentioned the update has made the C8 similar to the C9 in terms of OS.

I've had Disney+ since release so I'm a little bit confused

Mines on 05.20.02

The Disney+ features in the OS were added over a year ago now (when Disney+ was available in America and The Netherlands but not here). So we had a few updates related to that, and we saw now difference . Eg 5.10.35 from 8th Nov 2019 - was to "fix the abnormal termination in Disney+ App".

5.20.02 from 13th Aug 2020 is the latest version of the firmware.

The stories/rumours etc were about Apple Airplay 2 support coming "soon". It has NOT been added as of today so far.

I presume it already supports Apple Airplay 1 but I'm guessing, I don't know either way - there is no Apple stuff in this house. I don't even know what the differences are between Airplay 1 and Airplay 2, but they massively matter to Apple fans apparently. :)

Hmm, so it's not really 'C9 equivalent' then.

Only reason I ask is my sister has a c9 and the apps bar looks different, more straight rather than the slants we have on a C8.

Hmm, so it's not really 'C9 equivalent' then.

Only reason I ask is my sister has a c9 and the apps bar looks different, more straight rather than the slants we have on a C8.
LG tends to 'forget' about previous generations as quickly as it can to separate them (eARC? I'm not bitter) and offer updates more specific to it for a mysterious period.

LG tends to 'forget' about previous generations as quickly as it can to separate them (eARC? I'm not bitter) and offer updates more specific to it.
Does seem that way a little, I've still got a B6 which my parents use daily and that's all good, I can't say I noticed that much of a jump up from that to the C8 other than the menu's were snappier and apps had a few new abilities.

Lack of eARC is a bit of a downer, and to my surprise my xbox series x doesn't work at 4K 120hz on the C8, it's the first time I've seen it have an X on any of the compatibility lists.

Not enough to make my want a new set, but certainly something to consider, the only reason I'd ever swap this is mainly for size and the 77's are still stupidly expensive compared to the £1400 I paid for my 65.

4k 120Hz at 10bit needs HDMI 2.1 . Shouldn't be a surprise that it doesn't work on our HDMI 2.0b C8s :)
eARC is interesting because some AVRs had HDMI2.0b chipsets which did actually allow eARC to be "backported" to after the event. This happened with some Denon AVRs.
It hasn't happened with TVs which use a chipset which doesn't allow this, like our C8s. (It was technically not possible despite complaints from people who didn't understand, and claimed it was).

Slanty icons and stuff is just the look of the later version of WebOS on the C9.
The 2020 CX has a later version of WebOS again, and this time it's the C9 owners who are "left behind".
For the core WebOS versions, LG's policy - which many disagree with - is never to update previous models.

But it's very important to separate software things which could be done like upgrading WebOS, from hardware features, like eARC HDMI2.1 ;)

For overall general support, LG are really great with big firmware updates a full 2 and a half years after the model first went on sale. The forthcoming Airplay2 is an example of that.

Last edited:
Several AVR's were updatable via software alone with our lowly 2.0b so I'm not sure here about eARC or LG being unspeakalbes..
Though I do have an Nvidia Shield so will be connecting for eARC/Atmos when my Anthem turns up and bunging that back to C8... Although that'd be only rips/HD audio will benefit as Prime/Netflix water audio anyway.
Airplay 2 is supposedly still coming but I have no (huk tu) apple stuff.

Last edited:
Several AVR's were updatable via software alone with our lowly 2.0b so I'm not sure here about eARC or LG being unspeakalbes..

As explained before, many times, those AVRs had chipsets which already allowed for it. It was and is not possible on the LG C8 TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom