LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

Started Ghost of Tsushima this evening and wow the HDR highlights are eye searing! I can't believe anyone wants brighter than this! :rotfl: Almost reached for the shades when I stepped outside into the sun!

Game looks fantastic but anyone got some good in-game settings to tone down the peak brightness? Im going to mess about with it when I play again tomorrow.

What a set the C8 is, played Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II and now Ghost of Tsushima all back to back and they are all completely stunning. :love:

Started Ghost of Tsushima this evening and wow the HDR highlights are eye searing! I can't believe anyone wants brighter than this! :rotfl: Almost reached for the shades when I stepped outside into the sun!

Game looks fantastic but anyone got some good in-game settings to tone down the peak brightness? Im going to mess about with it when I play again tomorrow.

What a set the C8 is, played Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II and now Ghost of Tsushima all back to back and they are all completely stunning. :love:
Awesome, another game to add to the list, seen some reviews and looks stunning, lots of people say it's like a more polished assassins creed.
Still to play lou2 myself also another on the list, so many good games coming out, keep us going for years to come :clap:

I never ever played the assassins creed games till recently, bought origins and odyssey, done origins and only about a third into odyssey now, totally love them, massive games with so much to do, love my open world exploration games and mostly playing them stealthy. I have a bit of a fetish for stealthy sniping open world games... sniper elite and sniper ghost warrior games.. absolutely loved them.
Weve got assassins creed Valhalla and far cry 6 to look forward to as well, on a ps5:clap:

when I was younger I was mostly all about my mega fast action games, snowboarding, tony hawk pro skater and racing, now I just want to chill and play at my own super slow pace.
Love stuff like uncharted, tomb raider etc as well.

I still like the idea of getting the new THPS remastered and will probably buy it for nostalgia but being honest probably never play them as so absorbed into my open world stuff.

All these games look awesome with hdr and oled, can't help but have a huge cheesey grin while playing them.

tldr; gaming on oleds is amazing.

:smashin:

Last edited:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Me also mate, I actually got glasses in my 20s but never ever wear them, My left eye is worse than the right... rugby ball shaped or something :laugh:
I got new ones again a few years back as they offered me them free so thought why not.. when I put them on, my world changed from 480p to 4k :eek:
Problem is they kinda make me feel a bit sea sic or something lol .. like everything is a bit like this shape below...so never wear them :rolleyes:

View attachment 1336025
Same! I don't wear them much as they ruin my depth perception. I can't pick things up properly. Apparently the more you wear them the better it gets. I only wear them when watching a film, which is fairly often but the problem hasn't really improved. I should use them for driving but there's no way.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Me also mate, I actually got glasses in my 20s but never ever wear them, My left eye is worse than the right... rugby ball shaped or something :laugh:
I got new ones again a few years back as they offered me them free so thought why not.. when I put them on, my world changed from 480p to 4k :eek:
Problem is they kinda make me feel a bit sea sic or something lol .. like everything is a bit like this shape below...so never wear them :rolleyes:

View attachment 1336025
Hi

I had the same issue with a previous pair of glasses where if I say look sideways at a piece of A4 paper it look out of shape and did not look like a true rectangle. I also got headaches / felt seasick after wearing the glasses for an hour or two.

After returning to the opticians it turned out that the two lenses were slightly toed in following the contours of my face, basically meaning that I was looking through the lenses at different angles causing the above issues. To fix it the optician simply bent out the frame at the bridge to make them more straight so that the lenses were more inline with each other, totally solved the problem.

In summary, might be worth a visit to the opticians to have them assess and potentially adjust the fit / alignment, may help, certainly helped me.

Jules did my cal and has previously said otherwise. There’s also been numerous members who updated firmware from 04.xx.xx to the point you’re unable to role back, i.e 05.xx.xx, who’s cal settings were no longer as accurate. The update that changed it all, from memory, was to “fix” chroma overshoot. But the implications for those who calibrated was as I say, leaving their existing cal settings less accurate. I’m happy to be corrected on the matter, in fact I’d be delighted.

It's generally true that firmware updates don't impact on calibrations. There was a situation however when LG were endeavouring to fix the chroma overshoot issue that they managed to crush shadow detail. A subsequent firmware fixed the crush issue but this did impact on calibrations that had been subsequently performed. I've always assured folk that should a firmware impact on their calibration I'll revisit for the price of the petrol and a Pukka pie (other pies are also acceptable ;) ). I'm not sure whether fellow calibrators do the same but as an industry we obviously need clients to feel confident that should the worst come to the worst they'll be looked after.

As a side note to this it should be noted that OLEDs benefit from periodic recalibration. They slowly drift. So a display calibrated in 2018 might well benefit in this regard.

Interesting guide how to get Dolby Atmos, blames Netflix for not leting us passing Atmos through ARC...

That's very odd for them to say that, since Atmos (in a DD+ container) works perfectly fine from the internal Netflix app, over ARC.

There's no streaming service in the world who streams lossless audio (ie Atmos in a TrueHD container).

Same! I don't wear them much as they ruin my depth perception. I can't pick things up properly. Apparently the more you wear them the better it gets. I only wear them when watching a film, which is fairly often but the problem hasn't really improved. I should use them for driving but there's no way.

You will both get there in the end.

Early 40's I got a pair just for driving, just left them in the car. Then perhaps if I went to the cinema.
I had to take them off to read anything.
Then reading got bad and struggling with phone so had reading glasses by mid 40s.
Late 40's I was sick of two pairs that I had to swap so tried varifocals. Absolutely no way.
With swapping between glasses and no glasses I was feeling sick, getting headaches and motion on TV was becoming an issue.
By 50 I was sick of the whole thing, fortunately bigger glasses are more popular and technology is better. So at 51 I now have the most expensive Varifocals I could get, I wear them all the time and totally forget I have them on.
Best I've been since my 30's

You will both get there in the end.

Early 40's I got a pair just for driving, just left them in the car. Then perhaps if I went to the cinema.
I had to take them off to read anything.
Then reading got bad and struggling with phone so had reading glasses by mid 40s.
Late 40's I was sick of two pairs that I had to swap so tried varifocals. Absolutely no way.
With swapping between glasses and no glasses I was feeling sick, getting headaches and motion on TV was becoming an issue.
By 50 I was sick of the whole thing, fortunately bigger glasses are more popular and technology is better. So at 51 I now have the most expensive Varifocals I could get, I wear them all the time and totally forget I have them on.
Best I've been since my 30's

Glad you are sorted now :smashin:

I can't imagine trying to drive with my current glasses, scared stuff, depth perception would be a major issue for me with these ones on.
Think I will look into what @skippi was saying about the out of align frame, Sounds like it could be the issue for me.

Glad you are sorted now :smashin:

I can't imagine trying to drive with my current glasses, scared stuff, depth perception would be a major issue for me with these ones on.
Think I will look into what @skippi was saying about the out of align frame, Sounds like it could be the issue for me.

Don't discount that your prescription maybe wrong. Had that before twice from specsavers, only use Vision Express now.

That's very odd for them to say that, since Atmos (in a DD+ container) works perfectly fine from the internal Netflix app, over ARC.

There's no streaming service in the world who streams lossless audio (ie Atmos in a TrueHD container).
I'm not sure that they are blaming Netflix. Just you need the source TV, App and Sound Device to all be atmos capable.

• The movie you’re playing — whether it’s physical, downloaded — or streamed, has to be encoded with Dolby Atmos (via Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus).
  • The hardware you’re playing it on has to be able to decode Dolby Atmos or pass it along to a Dolby Atmos-capable sound system without altering it. This is known as “pass-through.”
  • The app you’re using — e.g., Plex, Netflix, iTunes, Amazon Prime Video, etc. — must be capable of delivering Dolby Atmos data to your playback device.
  • And of course, your TV, A/V receiver or soundbar must be Dolby Atmos compatible, if that’s the device you’re using to hear audio.

Don't discount that your prescription maybe wrong. Had that before twice from specsavers, only use Vision Express now.
hmm yeah both times was specsavers :rotfl: will also try vision express when I get round to it, Thanks!
:thumbsup:

Jules did my cal and has previously said otherwise. There’s also been numerous members who updated firmware from 04.xx.xx to the point you’re unable to roll back, i.e 05.xx.xx, whose cal settings were no longer as accurate. The update that changed it all, from memory, was to “fix” chroma overshoot. But the implications for those who calibrated was as I say, leaving their existing cal settings less accurate. I’m happy to be corrected on the matter, in fact I’d be delighted.

I'm happy to cheer you up on this one. The update that changed it did two things. It implemented the dithering to work-around the chroma overshoot. It also detected if the 1DLUT had been replaced, and if so, did not use the dithering so that the calibration remained the same as before.

The following a basically a re-post of an earlier post I made on this thread IIRC. The info first came from Vincent Teoh (who was instrumental in helping us to raise this with LG in the first place) and as I say below, it's easy to check whether dithering is being used.

firmware 4.10.31 (and later) behaves differently when a 1DLUT (either from an autocal session or a "unity 1DLUT") is uploaded to the TV. It adds a special flag.
firmware 4.10.31 (and later) therefore knows whether the 1DLUT was uploaded on firmware 4.10.31 (and later) or not, so it is able to behave in one of two ways:
  1. no flag; 1DLUT created on an older firmware => behave like the older firmware did, and use the white sub-pixel near black instead of the new dithering. Risk of the overshoot flashing, but this is required to match exactly the TV as it behaved on the day of calibration. Done on purpose so that calibrations remain exactly the same. <== this should make you happy
  2. flag; 1DLUT created when TV had firmware 4.10.31 (or later) => use the new dithering routines near black, as on the day of calibration.

During the period 4.10.31-4.10.55 we had a particular problem on our 2018 models. These firmwares had a "crushed blacks" gamma curve. This was fixed by LG in 4.10.55 (and later) so that the gamma curve matched 4.20.05 and before, but with the added benefit of the new dithering routines for better near-black detail.

• If you didn't have a custom 1DLUT uploaded (from Calman Autocal, or Lightspace, NB Autocal is not the only method of creating the 1DLUT and putting it in the memory slot in the TV, but it's a convenient "shorthand" Vincent uses in the video) - or a manually done calibration - then you'd have the same problem we all had with crushed blacks.
  • Work-arounds to that were calibrate again (few could), or do manual tweaks like raise the 5% black level with test patterns etc which quite a few people did. Others shared their settings after doing do.
    • If you manually calibrated again during this (relatively short) time, and didn't expect LG to fix this problem, ie thought they'd leave everyone with crushed blacks forever, then you'd find you would need to manually calibrate once more on 5.* firmwares.
    • Or, if you just "waited it out", then fw 5.* restored the original gamma curves from launch used pre-4.10.31.
  • If you DID have a custom 1DLUT uploaded (Autocal shorthand again), during that period (and indeed from then on), you were on a newer firmware which knew to operate one of two ways, and so your TV behaved the same as it always did in those modes which were calibrated ("1. no flag" situation above)
  • Any calibration done using 1DLUT from fw 4.10.31 or later should look a bit better for dark detail, due to (2) above.

It's clever and pretty much the maximum LG could have done to appease people who had paid for Autocal calibrations on old firmwares with the overshoot problem not losing everything, whilst still working around the overshoot problem. This is dead easy to check in the dark on your TV with a jeweler's loupe which you can buy online for a few quid. Just check the difference of a grey patch between a mode that has been calibrated and one that hasn't (such as "Standard").

NB1: If your calibration didn't use the 1DLUT, and was instead a manual one where you can re-input the values into the TV's menus, then yes as @Canary_Jules says above (his and my posts crossed over), if you manually calibrated during that one relatively short window of time, your calibration would indeed need to be re-done.

NB2: There is a separate firmware bug which means that if you ever use the 1DLUT for HDR10 or Dolby Vision, you will always lose the new dithering routines and so it's not recommended to use the 1DLUT for those modes. This is separate to the bugs with the 1DLUT in SDR which are well documented by respected calibrator Ted Aspiotis in a long post>here< .

Ps. This is quite a complex set of scenarios, so you might have to read this post a few times, sorry about that but that's the detail of it all. HTH

Last edited:
I'm not sure that they are blaming Netflix. Just you need the source TV, App and Sound Device to all be atmos capable.

OK. Yes, if they aren't, then fine. In that case, no oddity. I just took that comment at face value. :(

• The movie you’re playing — whether it’s physical, downloaded — or streamed, has to be encoded with Dolby Atmos (via Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus).
  • The hardware you’re playing it on has to be able to decode Dolby Atmos or pass it along to a Dolby Atmos-capable sound system without altering it. This is known as “pass-through.”
  • The app you’re using — e.g., Plex, Netflix, iTunes, Amazon Prime Video, etc. — must be capable of delivering Dolby Atmos data to your playback device.
  • And of course, your TV, A/V receiver or soundbar must be Dolby Atmos compatible, if that’s the device you’re using to hear audio.

Indeed, I take all those points as to be "obvious" :). For Atmos, you need Atmos-capable kit. We're lucky with our TVs since not that many support DD+ over ARC (because DD+ over ARC is squeezing ARC to its limit), so I'm very happy that it works. But work it does :)

Last edited:
Amazingly you can't even notice the scratch whilst watching content, but I can feel the depression when it's off!!! Got an engineer booked for the 29th, tried to ask can you just not order the panel but have to wait apparently!

Just to touch on the eye discussion, the rugby shape is astigmatism, I had it in both eyes one worse than the other. When I first had glasses on things like door frames looked wider at the top, after a few weeks everything was bang on. Just over 12 months later I had my eyes lasered! Just have to put up with the colour blindness!!! Well I say put up, but trust your all wrong and what I see is true!

Anybody know how to turn off this 'google assistant' which keeps appearing the first thing you turn the TV on? It's slightly annoying, I don't leave the magic remote in the room so always get asked to come clear it off so kids etc can start watching.

Amazingly you can't even notice the scratch whilst watching content, but I can feel the depression when it's off!!! Got an engineer booked for the 29th, tried to ask can you just not order the panel but have to wait apparently!

Just to touch on the eye discussion, the rugby shape is astigmatism, I had it in both eyes one worse than the other. When I first had glasses on things like door frames looked wider at the top, after a few weeks everything was bang on. Just over 12 months later I had my eyes lasered! Just have to put up with the colour blindness!!! Well I say put up, but trust your all wrong and what I see is true!
Yes astigmatism rings a bell. So you did get used to the glasses, interesting.
I wonder if you went straight for the laser would you still of had that effect with the doors or is it caused by the glasses sitting that bit away from your eyes.. if you get me..
my wife and her dad are both colour blind (supposedly rare for dad to pass to a daughter), few years back It was a cold winter night with a super clear sky, all the stars lit up, I mentioned how some stars twinkle changing colour.. to my amazement she couldn't see that.
Ever seen the colour blind glasses sold in the USA? suppose to be very good. seems everyone who gets a pair has a cry at first as they experience is so overwhelying.

maybe you could get autoglass repair round to fill in the crack like they do on windshield windows :rotfl:

Last edited:
Yes astigmatism rings a bell. So you did get used to the glasses, interesting.
I wonder if you went straight for the laser would you still of had that effect with the doors or is it caused by the glasses sitting that bit away from your eyes.. if you get me..
my wife and her dad are both colour blind (supposedly rare for dad to pass to a daughter), few years back It was a cold winter night with a super clear sky, all the stars lit up, I mentioned how some stars twinkle changing colour.. to my amazement she couldn't see that.
Ever seen the colour blind glasses sold in the USA? suppose to be very good. seems everyone who gets a pair has a cry at first as they experience is so overwhelying.

maybe you could get autoglass repair round to fill in the crack ike they do on windshield windows :rotfl:
haha, I did speak to my Dad yesterday and he was adamant as it's glass it could be 'polished' out, bless him.

It was a number of years ago now, but I had to wear glasses for at least 12 months before I was eligible for surgery. I think they do that to make sure your prescription doesn't change.

My wife had her's lasered and she's back on glasses now! They say on average 10 years it should last, which if thats the case I think it was a sound investment for me.

The colour blindess is a bit weird really, can't remember what my condition is but it's something to do with red/green deficiency. So if you put a bunch of colours in front of me I could tell you what they all where, but possibly a slightly different shade of what a regular person see's. I think where I struggle more is seeing the difference in a bunch of colours mixed up, ie when you do those spot tests etc.

I've been tempted by those glasses, but I don't want it to affect me negatively, as I wouldn't want to wear them all the time and right now I don't know what I'm missing!

I'm happy to cheer you up on this one. The update that changed it did two things. It implemented the dithering to work-around the chroma overshoot. It also detected if the 1DLUT had been replaced, and if so, did not use the dithering so that the calibration remained the same as before.

The following a basically a re-post of an earlier post I made on this thread IIRC. The info first came from Vincent Teoh (who was instrumental in helping us to raise this with LG in the first place) and as I say below, it's easy to check whether dithering is being used.

firmware 4.10.31 (and later) behaves differently when a 1DLUT (either from an autocal session or a "unity 1DLUT") is uploaded to the TV. It adds a special flag.
firmware 4.10.31 (and later) therefore knows whether the 1DLUT was uploaded on firmware 4.10.31 (and later) or not, so it is able to behave in one of two ways:
  1. no flag; 1DLUT created on an older firmware => behave like the older firmware did, and use the white sub-pixel near black instead of the new dithering. Risk of the overshoot flashing, but this is required to match exactly the TV as it behaved on the day of calibration. Done on purpose so that calibrations remain exactly the same. <== this should make you happy
  2. flag; 1DLUT created when TV had firmware 4.10.31 (or later) => use the new dithering routines near black, as on the day of calibration.

During the period 4.10.31-4.10.55 we had a particular problem on our 2018 models. These firmwares had a "crushed blacks" gamma curve. This was fixed by LG in 4.10.55 (and later) so that the gamma curve matched 4.20.05 and before, but with the added benefit of the new dithering routines for better near-black detail.

• If you didn't have a custom 1DLUT uploaded (from Calman Autocal, or Lightspace, NB Autocal is not the only method of creating the 1DLUT and putting it in the memory slot in the TV, but it's a convenient "shorthand" Vincent uses in the video) - or a manually done calibration - then you'd have the same problem we all had with crushed blacks.
  • Work-arounds to that were calibrate again (few could), or do manual tweaks like raise the 5% black level with test patterns etc which quite a few people did. Others shared their settings after doing do.
    • If you manually calibrated again during this (relatively short) time, and didn't expect LG to fix this problem, ie thought they'd leave everyone with crushed blacks forever, then you'd find you would need to manually calibrate once more on 5.* firmwares.
    • Or, if you just "waited it out", then fw 5.* restored the original gamma curves from launch used pre-4.10.31.
  • If you DID have a custom 1DLUT uploaded (Autocal shorthand again), during that period (and indeed from then on), you were on a newer firmware which knew to operate one of two ways, and so your TV behaved the same as it always did in those modes which were calibrated ("1. no flag" situation above)
  • Any calibration done using 1DLUT from fw 4.10.31 or later should look a bit better for dark detail, due to (2) above.

It's clever and pretty much the maximum LG could have done to appease people who had paid for Autocal calibrations on old firmwares with the overshoot problem not losing everything, whilst still working around the overshoot problem. This is dead easy to check in the dark on your TV with a jeweler's loupe which you can buy online for a few quid. Just check the difference of a grey patch between a mode that has been calibrated and one that hasn't (such as "Standard").

NB1: If your calibration didn't use the 1DLUT, and was instead a manual one where you can re-input the values into the TV's menus, then yes as @Canary_Jules says above (his and my posts crossed over), if you manually calibrated during that one relatively short window of time, your calibration would indeed need to be re-done.

NB2: There is a separate firmware bug which means that if you ever use the 1DLUT for HDR10 or Dolby Vision, you will always lose the new dithering routines and so it's not recommended to use the 1DLUT for those modes. This is separate to the bugs with the 1DLUT in SDR which are well documented by respected calibrator Ted Aspiotis in a long post>here< .

Ps. This is quite a complex set of scenarios, so you might have to read this post a few times, sorry about that but that's the detail of it all. HTH

Thanks for that but im not entirely sure which firmware i was on when Jules did the Autocal
All i know is that it was on the latest firmware when he did it which was 7th Aug 2019.
It has recently been updated to the latest OTA as of last week (the only time it has been updated since)
Thanks if anyone can enlighten me.

You'll never guess who I bumped into in Specsavers the other day.

You'll never guess the cost of the damage I did to the display stand when I knocked it over and hundreds of frames got smashed when I bumped into it in Specsavers the other day. :)

I mind a lot of talk of squealing high pitched noises from c8 77 owners a while back, I think the psu?
wonder if this could be anything to do with it?
@raymondo77 was/is your one ok?

Korea also use 220-240v like we do here so likely the same power supply units.

I mind a lot of talk of squealing high pitched noises from c8 77 owners a while back, I think the psu?
wonder if this could be anything to do with it?
@raymondo77 was/is your one ok?

Korea also use 220-240v like we do here so likely the same power supply units.

Yes others reported having this previously but fortunately I've never had that issue with mine.

Hi folks
Does anyone use optical for the sound? I've been using hdmi into my soundbar but I'm thinking of trying audio through my stereo, which should be much better despite being only stereo. It's not like a soundbar is surround anyway, not mine at least.
Does the C8 have a phono digi connection? I looked around the back earlier but couldn't see one. My amp will take digital coax or optical.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom