LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

It could be engineering works, if you are only losing specific HD channels then t looks like it could be affecting MUX7 and MUX8 (the two temporary DVB-T2 muxes which are radiated at a much lower power from some sites).

I don't even know what one of those is! There's a distribution amp in the loft but we only have one TV now anyway, the rest are just used for gaming monitors.

A masthead amp is - on the TV mast - instead of in the loft and is more to increase a weak Tv signal whereas a distribution amp is more to avoid the loss of feeding multiple devices. A failure in any sort of amp or connection in the signal path would have the same effect.

I don’t use pixel refresh as I use old tv signal that has no signal so you get microdots flashing around the screen ( supposedly left over from big bang??) all i know it refreshes the screen

White noise is what it is called, Works on all tv’s and no damage from over use of screen refresh, i used on my plasma and now oled

White noise is what it is called, Works on all tv’s and no damage from over use of screen refresh, i used on my plasma and now oled
How are you turning the screen refresh off? Or 2000hr cycle?

Not found yet how to turn screen refresh off and the annoying pop up every few days drives me crazy

Not found yet how to turn screen refresh off and the annoying pop up every few days drives me crazy
You dont need to run it on the oled. It will have no effect other than aging the tv. What’s your thought process ?

and what pop up?

I turn TV, VR off using Alexa smart socket, but after a day i put tv on and on screen is a message about running a screen refresher, so i have to find tv controler and click no to get rid of this notice i.e a pop up message on the screen.

I turn TV, VR off using Alexa smart socket, but after a day i put tv on and on screen is a message about running a screen refresher, so i have to find tv controler and click no to get rid of this notice i.e a pop up message on the screen.
This is crazy. Why wouldn’t you just let the TV do it’s own thing when it needs to?

Also Ive found no use for smart sockets except for basic devices like fans - most things like to be left on standby. Thats when the refesh cycle happens AFAIK

The LG tv message comes up on screen every other day and it is too often. If you run screen refresh to many times it will degrade the tv.
I use smart sockets to turn stuff like tv AV Blu-ray all off so not left on standby as they still use a fair bit of power. If you do some research you will find all this out, and not just let items do what they want. You probably have LG tv settings all on when most of the enhancement settings apart from a few should be off.

Last edited:
It won’t pop up every other day if you let it run - which it is supposed to!

And way to go generalising everyone trying to help you as people who leave all the settings on, very mature of you

The LG tv message comes up on screen every other day and it is too often. If you run screen refresh to many times it will degrade the tv.
I use smart sockets to turn stuff like tv AV Blu-ray all off so not left on standby as they still use a fair bit of power. If you do some research you will find all this out, and not just let items do what they want. You probably have LG tv settings all on when most of the enhancement settings apart from a few should be off
I think it's safe to say you won't find anyone here that agrees with you.

Also I hope you realise that you will invalidate your warranty if you don't let the screen refresh cycles run.

Agreed. Just let the TV decide when to run the screen refresh. With normal usage, it'll last longer than TVs are typically kept for. I never see messages about screen refreshes needed.

I was trying to help by saying white noise does a better job at screen retention than other settings as it does not degrade tv. Also warranty does not cover screen burn in

I was trying to help by saying white noise does a better job at screen retention than other settings as it does not degrade tv. Also warranty does not cover screen burn in

Why are you talking about screen burn in now?

The white noise will not do a better job than the pixel refresher. The white noise is still ‘using’ your panel and you are effectively ageing it.

Take it or leave it, that’s your choice, but you are wrong

Video white noise from the old tv aerial has thousands of white and black jumping around screen and i have used this for repairing retention on screen for many years and well before these new tv’s were invented

Video white noise from the old tv aerial has thousands of white and black jumping around screen and i have used this for repairing retention on screen for many years and well before these new tv’s were invented

You’re talking about a different technology now. Just because you’ve always done something a particular way doesn’t mean it’s always going to be the correct way.

But you’re clearly not going to accept anything else, so there’s no point in continuing this

Ok - please provide this research that says that white noise is better than the pixel refresher for OLED TV’s

And a lot has improved in those 30 years. We no longer have schonky LED screens with their banding/burning issues. Technology means that what was accepted before is no longer relevant.

@EQ1 - you're not getting slagged off at all, but the info you've provided is wrong, and potentially harmful to the TV.

Let's start at the beginning. You're right, running static used to help CRTs and Plasmas. In Plasmas, you were recommended to run 1000's of hours of this to harden off the phosphors, making them more resilient to 'screen burn'. You could do this without affecting the life of the TV.

Now OLEDs came along - the big change here is that is was 'organic'. What this meant is that from the moment the TV is first switched on, the pixels will start degrading and dimming. We can help this by reducing the backlight/OLED light level, as the harder you drive an LED, the quicker it will degrade and begin losing brightness.

OLED 'screen burn' is not actually screen burn. The term is used from Plasma as the symptoms are the same, but fundamentally is totally different. The actual term for it is Permanent Image Retention, or accelerated ageing. By pushing static images on the screen for extended time periods (say the red BBC News bar), you prematurely age the sub pixels (red in this case) quicker than any of the other red ones across the screen, and the other colours). This will then show (after a good while) as darker, or different colours compared to the rest of the panel.

On OLED TV's, there are two pixel refreshers. After every 4-8 hour viewing session, the TV will want to run a quick 'cleaning cycle'. In order to do this, it needs to be left on standby. the power consumption on standby is minute - at current energy prices it will cost about 50p per year to leave it on standby for 20 hours a day. By switching it off at the wall, you do not allow the TV to run this, hence every time you turn it back on, it asks to run - this cannot be turned off. Another, hour long cycle runs at 2000hrs. At a high level, these work by the TV understanding what colours have been heavily displayed on different areas, and 'burn off' the sub pixels in other parts of the panel to even out the wear.

Having worked for LG, I understand that when you contact them for support and they take remote control of the TV, they will check how many compensation cycles have run. If you have been stopping it from running and have encountered image retention, you claim will be voided.

The static you're putting on the TV to prevent this is doing nothing to prevent image retention, as it's not pushing all the colours. Further, because you're using the TV unnecessarily, you could be accelerating the rate at which the panel degrades, damaging the TV.

In short, you clearly know about how TVs used to work, and it's great knowledge to have. however, the same knowledge does not apply to OLED TVs.
Don't switch it off at the wall - power consumption is minimal.
Don't prevent the TV from running the daily pixel refresher.
Avoid running 'static' content on the TV that was used to help Plasmas.

Hope this helps. happy to offer any further guidance if you would like.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom