LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

???? At least that poster was trying to do something to be of help to others
Never said he wasn’t. I’m merely stating that statements like that from any company mean absolutely nothing until whatever it is is actually released...It could be weeks, it could be months, it could be never. We’ve seen these kind of promises from many companies before and sometimes nothing actually comes of it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
For real support, you need look no farther than LG's support for the near-black chrominance overshoot issue. Sony haven't fixed it. Philips haven't fixed it. Panasonic haven't fixed it.

You are forgetting the reason why it hasn't actually been 'fixed' on those TVs, is because it's barely an issue in the first place, they have better picture processing than the LG's, especially the Panasonic's, and LG had a hell of a task to get it anywhere close to acceptable and as usual it took multiple attempts and many months. Yes they at least didn't give up on it, but it's just one in long line of unacceptable issues LG have had to fix that shouldn't have been there, and if you are a poor B6 owner you'll have to put up with permanent raised blacks, as they went back on a promise to fix it.

Well about Panasonic..... :eek:

I haven't used my GZ2000 for two days and thought I'd give it another go and 'tried' watching the new season of vikings but after just the first episode I just couldn't stand it anymore, this thing is a near-black flashing overshoot machine... It's like 10 times worse than on my C8. I still don't know if I got a faulty unit or not but this current GZ2000 of mine is just disgusting. I'll try to get it repaired/swapped or whatever and if that doesn't fix it or they don't see this as a fault I will have to get rid of it. :confused:

Also the flashing issue aside, I hate to say this but the C8 handles low bitrate crap quality content better. ;)

Hi guys. I'm having issue with my aerial so have my old sky dish and connection still available.
Plugged it in and bingo loads more channels HD etc etc. But in the channel guide the preview doesn't work and I can't click on any channel or programme to go to it. So have to use the channel up and down buttons to select one channel at a time

Any ideas why the guide isn't working?

Signed it, why not. Can't see the amount of people 'chipping in' being genuine...anyone here done that?

I’ve signed it. Don’t hold out much hope, nor do I personally want it. But will be great for those who do if LG actually implement it.

LG have said that I have no warranty for the C8 since it's a replacement so my guarentee ended last year in June 2018. The TV was manufactured in November 2018, so I can't help but be a little miffed that the TV is apparently out of warranty before it was built.

Am I wrong to think I should kick up a bit more of a fuss? I responded to LG's email 3 or so days ago and no response since.

They specifically say it’s only available on the 2019 models - it’s absolutely obvious they’re talking about AirPlay2

I agree. Also, Airplay 1 is not supported anymore by Apple (all new vendors must implement version 2, unless bug fixing older stuff). And as the 2019 modles have version 2, that will be very easy to backport to 2018 models, it would be a bit crazy to do something different than their 2019’s, and what all the other TV makers are doing.

Apple was charging a $4 per device license fee for third party manufacturers. I guess they are waiving that now, to get it out on more devices.

Last edited:
LG have said that I have no warranty for the C8 since it's a replacement so my guarentee ended last year in June 2018. The TV was manufactured in November 2018, so I can't help but be a little miffed that the TV is apparently out of warranty before it was built.

Am I wrong to think I should kick up a bit more of a fuss? I responded to LG's email 3 or so days ago and no response since.
Sorry, I don't understand! How do you mean the warranty expired before it was built?

Its normal for the warranty for a replacement item to run only until the original warranty date or a set number of days for some parts. This isnt really a C8 issue.

Yeah, I figure there'd be some kind of something. Probably just 30 days, but it's frustrating as I've lost the 5 year warranty that I would have had for the B6.

Well you didnt lose it as such, you claimed a new set from it! I'd still try arguing the point, worth a shot

Yeah, I know, I'm probably being a little demanding but I preferred the burn in to this dead pixel cluster.

Well about Panasonic..... :eek:

I haven't used my GZ2000 for two days and thought I'd give it another go and 'tried' watching the new season of vikings but after just the first episode I just couldn't stand it anymore, this thing is a near-black flashing overshoot machine... It's like 10 times worse than on my C8. I still don't know if I got a faulty unit or not but this current GZ2000 of mine is just disgusting. I'll try to get it repaired/swapped or whatever and if that doesn't fix it or they don't see this as a fault I will have to get rid of it. :confused:

Also the flashing issue aside, I hate to say this but the C8 handles low bitrate crap quality content better. ;)

I havent noticed flashing on my gz950 but i do agree that the c8 handles lower bitrate better, the backgrounds look cleaner with less color banding etc.

Anyway, do you get a notification when youve reached 2000 hours and it does the pixel refresher? Because out of nowhere i've noticed a dark vertical band that definitely wasnt there before and i've heard that can happen after a pixel refresher.

I havent noticed flashing on my gz950 but i do agree that the c8 handles lower bitrate better, the backgrounds look cleaner with less color banding etc.

Anyway, do you get a notification when youve reached 2000 hours and it does the pixel refresher? Because out of nowhere i've noticed a dark vertical band that definitely wasnt there before and i've heard that can happen after a pixel refresher.

Did you watch the first episode of the new season of Vikings on your gz950? The overshoot was really obvious for me in that one.

As far as I'm aware Panasonics do the big comp cycle every 1000 hours. I've only done a manual one so no idea what kind of notification you'll get. You can check the panel hours and comp cycle counter at "menu -> help -> system information" at status 4 and 8. Panel Maintenance-2 is the big one.

Attachments

• system information.JPG
    system information.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 75
Did you watch the first episode of the new season of Vikings on your gz950? The overshoot was really obvious for me in that one.

As far as I'm aware Panasonics do the big comp cycle every 1000 hours. I've only done a manual one so no idea what kind of notification you'll get. You can check the panel hours and comp cycle counter at "menu -> help -> system information" at status 4 and 8. Panel Maintenance-2 is the big one.

Vikings is not available here on Amazon. I have been watching Justified on Amazon lately though and my C8 shows lots of flashing in certain dark scenes but not the gz950.

Was talking about the C8 btw, out of nowhere there is a dark band to the right which wasnt there before so im wondering if a big comp cycle has caused this.

Does anyone know how offset the VESA mounting is from centre?

I’ve got a 65” C8 to hang, with a inch gap around the perimeter. TV measures up fine, but the mount is screwed to the wall dead centre. Which when purchasing the LG I didn’t realise how off centre the VESA points are!!

Vikings is not available here on Amazon. I have been watching Justified on Amazon lately though and my C8 shows lots of flashing in certain dark scenes but not the gz950.

Was talking about the C8 btw, out of nowhere there is a dark band to the right which wasnt there before so im wondering if a big comp cycle has caused this.
You get a notification when the 2000 hour cycle runs, mines popped up a few months ago when I turned the set off for the night. It would be pretty hard to miss.

Hey! I just got a new panel and a new dashboard. now the question is which software version to install?

Hi All,

New to the forum, so I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed but I did search through the last few days at least to try and find discussion around this. I was watching the Mandalorian Chapter 5 through the WebOS Disney+ App and noticed significant luminance fluctuation.

22:20 - 22:37 are the best examples as the camera is mostly still as opposed to the previous scene (19:36 - 21:00) which does show great luminance fluctuation but may be explained away by camera movement or cinematography/lighting choices.

I did some research, and from what I can tell I thought all this was sorted out with firmware version 4.10.15 (). So either I'm observing something that is different than the Luminance fluctuation described in the original HDTVTest video, or the issue isn't entirely fixed.

Any thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom