LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

Re Netflix, I’ve tried wired, wireless, turning off at the mains, reinstalling the Neflix app nothing changing - can only get 1080. The difference is huge on something like Star Trek.

I’m not prepared to upgrade the TV firmware because I don’t have the issues it fixes.

Re Netflix, I’ve tried wired, wireless, turning off at the mains, reinstalling the Neflix app nothing changing - can only get 1080. The difference is huge on something like Star Trek.

I’m not prepared to upgrade the TV firmware because I don’t have the issues it fixes.

Unless they changed it for season two, Star Trek: Discovery is 1080p.

Can anyone suggest a similar app to SURE which has the firmware rollback option for iOS devices?

Netflix released the first season at 1080p24 with Dolby Vision too ;)

Can anyone suggest a similar app to SURE which has the firmware rollback option for iOS devices?
Shouldn’t need a app they shouldn’t be messing with the gamma this has shown me to never download a update from LG again when things was so acurate our the box before this

Christ I need putting down. In my defence I tried a bunch of 4k stuff but it looks like I wasn’t being patient enough as it’s taking about 15 secs to get to 2160 and I’ve got all the lights on so maybe that’s why I thought it looked much worse...

Erm can I ask where all the atmos stuff has gone instead?

So the new firmware hasn’t fixed the macro/flashing, they have simply effectively just hidden it. And in doing so, crashed blacks and darkened the image?

Doesn’t really surprise me. The fact that this effects all LG made panels in all manufacturers OLED’s couldn’t have been a coincidence, and there must be a inherent problem with the panels and not a simply image processing bug.

What does @stevewithers make if this (I believe he has one as his personal set).

I’m still not happy with motion on mine, judder seems really bad. Can you guys recommend the best trim Orion settings?

Try this. It's not perfect but at least no SOE. Anything above 3 causes SOE.

De-Blur - I set it between 5-9.

Attachments

• IMG_20190319_221200884.jpg
    IMG_20190319_221200884.jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20190319_221151727.jpg
    IMG_20190319_221151727.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 217
Try this. It's not perfect but at least no SOE. Anything above 3 causes SOE.

De-Blur - I set it between 5-9.

Anyone else noticed that the tru motion settings don’t stick for the Amazon app. Everything else is fine, but it always goes back to Off with Amazon.

Can firmware be rolled back from the hidden service menu?

I think trumotion not sticking has always been like that with the amazon app. I've even read about this happening on the 2017 LGs. It's a minor bug but one that has been there for a long time and never got fixed.

Anyone else noticed that the tru motion settings don’t stick for the Amazon app. Everything else is fine, but it always goes back to Off with Amazon.

Yes and it drives me quite mad as when it's off it is a juddery mess.

Star trek is 1080p here too but I always thought it was anyway ! Its looks OK but stuff like Jack Whitehall and after life look much better
I was expecting very bad things with the update but in the few minutes I have looked, it's not bad tbh. Only thing I did was bang brightness up on game mode.
I'll have a better chance tomorrow.

I can’t see anything in Atmos on Netflix. Am I having another moment?

Yep, ST: Discovery has always been 1080p with Dolby Vision on Netflix.

Never mind the resolution, is it HDR or not?

In the process of downgrading my firmware right now, been playing around with it for a few hours today and SDR game mode is completely broken for me. I have to whack the brightness at 60 to see any kind of gamma calibration symbols in games when it all used to be bang on at 50.

HDR mode still seems to be perfect but SDR is too crushed for my liking.

So the new firmware hasn’t fixed the macro/flashing, they have simply effectively just hidden it. And in doing so, crashed blacks and darkened the image?

No. This is not what has happened.

The near black chrominance overshoot is vastly improved and content which was a flickering mess before is now nice to watch. It is correct that some adjustment is now needed due to the completely different way the TV now handles near-black colour transitions to work around the issue. It is false that the TV is now "ruined", "worse", and all the other hyperbole posted today - before today, the debate about the new firmware was calm and reasoned.

Furthermore, the near-black colour handling has been completely transformed and the quantisation patterns which used to be a blocky mess (due to too few bits being allocated) now render clearly. Eg the 2d quant patterns from Welcome to the testing-video project! | test.full.band

Q1-20190310_231524104.jpg
Q2-231709752.jpg

With all previous firmwares, these patterns only had about 9 different colours on the screen, as is shown by the images on the example on the above website.

It is /was a big problem for me not all sets are as bad as each other. I'll update it and use the cinema preset and see what that's like if it's going to completely knacker my calibration.
Its a mess that should never have happened imo.

No-one is ever going to disagree with that last sentence!

LG deserve praise for stepping up and doing their best to fix this. I'm sure this isn't going to be the last ever firmware version, so let's see what else is released over the coming weeks.

The near black chrominance overshoot is vastly improved and content which was a flickering mess before is now nice to watch. It is correct that some adjustment is now needed due to the completely different way the TV now handles near-black colour transitions to work around the issue. It is false that the TV is now "ruined", "worse", and all the other hyperbole posted today - before today, the debate about the new firmware was calm and reasoned.

Furthermore, the near-black colour handling has been completely transformed and the quantisation patterns which used to be a blocky mess (due to too few bits being allocated) now render clearly. Eg the 2d quant patterns from Welcome to the testing-video project! | test.full.band

View attachment 1131093 View attachment 1131094

With all previous firmwares, these patterns only had about 9 different colours on the screen, as is shown by the images on the example on the above website.
Appreciate the insight, I've decided im going to continue to play around with the new firmware tomorrow. :laugh: To be fair it actually looks really good at brightness 60 but it's just not sitting well with me having the brightness that high when it was flawless at 50 before.

Broken is probably the wrong word to be using so I apologise for that, it's definitely not broken but definitely different to what I'm used to.

Appreciate the insight, I've decided im going to continue to play around with the new firmware tomorrow. :laugh: To be fair it actually looks really good at brightness 60 but it's just not sitting well with me having the brightness that high when it was flawless at 50 before.

Broken is probably the wrong word to be using so I apologise for that, it's definitely not broken but definitely different to what I'm used to.

View attachment 1131093 View attachment 1131094

Ruined is exactly the right word for set game mode fact is unlike Technicolor and isf modes you can’t fix it by calibrating again the gamma tracking in game mode is in fact ruined raising brightness is not a fix

Game mode was not perfect locked colour gamut to wide but at least greyscale and gamma was decent now it’s unusuabe

HDR from external Zero 4k satellite has stopped working. Stream from NAS works in HDR, but programs don't work.

Apologies if this has been covered but couldn’t find it using search.

I only noticed yesterday that when watching a Netflix program with Dolby Vision through the built in app th picture is brighter but quite washed out and grey looking. Spotted this watching After Life but realise now that it was the same on Sex Education.

Should I be doing something with the settings specifically for Dolby Vision sources?

Thanks in advance

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom