LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

Contrast and brightness settings are very much panel dependent.

When set with pluge patterns I've seen them as high as Contrast 92, Brightness 55

Ok fair enough but contrast 70 I dare say is too low for any panel, around 85 is 99% of the time the ideal setting

Yes trumotion is on de-bkur10 also judder 10 .. i guess pulsing may not be the correct term but i shall stick to Flicker and the fact there is way too much .. as for it not happening on yours it does on all tv's .. like on a pin stripe shirt the tv can not handle the detail and the shirt flickers but normally it's fleeting ... where as on this C8 it happens on upteen objects.

If you still do not have a clue what i am getting at fair enough.

Oh man that's crazy.

I small boat lost out at sea caught in a storm springs to mind.

Ok fair enough but contrast 70 I dare say is too low for any panel, around 85 is 99% of the time the ideal setting

They is one member here who runs contrast around 50. I mean it's their tv and all but jeez really??? I dont get it.

I’m using an Apple TV 4K with my LG C8 OLED TV. Whenever watching any Dolby Vision content via iTunes or Netflix. Anything that is pure black in any scene including the black bars displays a static snow pattern that is moving In a constant motion. over the image. The static is not as noticeable when the room is lit but In the dark it’s very noticeable and distracting. HDR 10 or SDR is fine it’s just Dolby Vision where I see this issue. I’m using the Belkin high speed cable recommended by Apple and all my tv settings are correct. Dolby vision content on the built in lg web OS apps is fine.

Wondering if if anyone else with this tv has experienced this issue?

Hi having just purchased a C8 when watching Netflix the image is shocking. Even the kids have stopped watching as it's so blurry.

There were no issues with my plasma two days prior and I have virgin media broadband with a constant download speed of 60-70mbs.

Are there any settings that I need to change?

Hi all,

Got my new C8 55inch a couple of weeks ago and by chance saw a banding line when In Xbox settings page, what do you think of the banding, worth sending back for new one or is this normal? This is my first OLED so have zero reference. Will attach pics.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Dan

Attachments

• 20190204_201911.jpg
    20190204_201911.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 145
  • 20190204_201834.jpg
    20190204_201834.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
  • 20190204_200740.jpg
    20190204_200740.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 136
  • 20190204_195825.jpg
    20190204_195825.jpg
    998.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 20190204_195824.jpg
    20190204_195824.jpg
    852.5 KB · Views: 132
Hi all,

Got my new C8 55inch a couple of weeks ago and by chance saw a banding line when In Xbox settings page, what do you think of the banding, worth sending back for new one or is this normal? This is my first OLED so have zero reference. Will attach pics.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Dan

Are the photos overexposed? They look supersharp and may make the banding look worse on picture than in real life. But if its what you are seeing then I would say that the banding is quite bad and I would try for a replacement.

Are the photos overexposed? They look supersharp and may make the banding look worse on picture than in real life. But if its what you are seeing then I would say that the banding is quite bad and I would try for a replacement.

I would say the pics are accurate to what I can see, didn't do anything to the pics taken with my phone.

I would say the pics are accurate to what I can see, didn't do anything to the pics taken with my phone.
You need to change that tv whilst in your return period .. whoever is your retailer ,make them aware , and if they wish provide those pics as they show the banding in content.

That level of trumotion must be producing some awful artefacts and SOE
Well it is not causing the Soap Opera Effect .. as for artefacts no it really isn't... but always willing to give a rejig ago ...

Wow, 10 and 10, do me a favour, change dejudder to 4 and deblur to 5 or 6 and see how that looks. There is no wonder you are seeing artefacts with trumotion on 10/10 , dunno if that's responsible for the flicker you're seeing but honestly nobody has trumotion on 10/10 , there's no need and it will cause artefacts, fact.
Thanks for the advice , i shall change the trumotion settings .. but i am sure it is not the cause of the excessive Flicker /Pulsating (a new word ) anyways thanks.

You need to change that tv whilst in your return period .. whoever is your retailer ,make them aware , and if they wish provide those pics as they show the banding in content.

Thanks i have forwarded these pics to crampton and moore who said they would send to LG.

Thanks for the advice , i shall change the trumotion settings .. but i am sure it is not the cause of the excessive Flicker /Pulsating (a new word ) anyways thanks.

I know the effect you mean - I had it on a BR of The Wolf of Wall Street. There’s a bit near the beginning where Di Caprio comes out of his house and there’s a stripe pattern on the outside wall that did it.

It was caused by TruMotion being set too high. Try turning it off completely and see if you still get it.

And in reference to my other post you replied to, there is no way the having your settings on 10/10 won’t cause SOE - but it depends on the source for severity

Last edited:
Well it is not causing the Soap Opera Effect .. as for artefacts no it really isn't... but always willing to give a rejig ago ...
Anything above 0 for de-judder results in artefacts. 10 is beyond comprehension.

I've not said anything recently, although it's been hard hearing sharpness at 14, determining light output using the contrast control, and now de-judder at 10 from people. All of these things will either introduce anomalies or degrade overall picture quality.

I respect everyone wanting to set their TV as they prefer, but be careful stating falsehoods and blaming LG's "inferior processing" for visual anomalies. Someone casually reading this thread might copy your settings expecting one thing and getting another.

Wow, 10 and 10, do me a favour, change dejudder to 4 and deblur to 5 or 6 and see how that looks. There is no wonder you are seeing artefacts with trumotion on 10/10 , dunno if that's responsible for the flicker you're seeing but honestly nobody has trumotion on 10/10 , there's no need and it will cause artefacts, fact.

Trumotion is turned off on my tv and the flickering/ringing is there on almost every documentary I watch on sky q, its like the tv cant focus properly on fine detail in HD. 4K content is not too bad Ive only seen it happen a handful of times in 4K.

They is one member here who runs contrast around 50. I mean it's their tv and all but jeez really??? I dont get it.

I run mine at 45/55 for SDR and this is good enough for me and my eyes in my dark room.

I can't believe you don't have SoE with Dejudder at 10 unless maybe you have the BFI setting turned on? BFI can cause screen flicker.
Motion Plus Pro no even i have not got that implemented .. does tend to add flicker to everything ..

Anything above 0 for de-judder results in artefacts. 10 is beyond comprehension.

I've not said anything recently, although it's been hard hearing sharpness at 14, determining light output using the contrast control, and now de-judder at 10 from people. All of these things will either introduce anomalies or degrade overall picture quality.

I respect everyone wanting to set their TV as they prefer, but be careful stating falsehoods and blaming LG's "inferior processing" for visual anomalies. Someone casually reading this thread might copy your settings expecting one thing and getting another.
Right hands up ... de-judder should not be set to 10 .. i get that loud and clear .. and if i am the aim of the reference of Blaming LG inferior processing for my flicker issue.. maybe a subtle difference but when replying i said it may be the Processor as i had come from a Sony which did not have it.. I have posted very limited info as far as settings go...

Anything i post apart from being utter nonsense is OMO on any said tv and my experience of using that tv.. it is not meant to be the gospel and should not be treated as such (not that anyone would) as with any tv (C8 INCLUDED) there are panel variants and what is a issue on my panel will of course not be the same as others panels ... same with settings what suits one panels PQ copied by someone else on there TV may well give a different result....

If anyone would like me to post my settings .. are you mad.!

Due to popular demand i have decided to follow in Vincent Teoh path and become a Calibrator of TV'S , it will only take me 2 mins to do , you will be left with the least accurate PQ possible ... i will calibrate 4 settings Inaccurate Day / Inaccurate Night... Really Bright/ Really Dark. All yours for a Pint of Scrumpy and a packet of KP Nuts.. PM me with your details , get in early as demand will be high.
Thanks i have forwarded these pics to crampton and moore who said they would send to LG.
All the best , hope you get it resolved.

Last edited:
Anyone having issues with the Wi-Fi speed of the C8.

Mine is running around 2mbs at best!! I have rang LG and waiting to hear back from them...

Anyone having issues with the Wi-Fi speed of the C8.

Mine is running around 2mbs at best!! I have rang LG and waiting to hear back from them...
Can you not connect with a Ethernet cable.. no is the answer to your question and i get my BB from VM .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom